The Student Room Group
Reply 1
The practicals are very straightforward if you know what you're meant to be doing (which you should). I don't know what Salters is like, but I made a total hash of my practical last year and still ended up with 90% in the module.
im doing ocr salters, we have to do five things you have to be assessed on throughout the year, though some can be lumped together if that makes sense?

you get to do each assessment 3 times and the best mark is put forward (they are out of 12). so its not really scary like an exam that can be done only once...

the practical one could be a titration, or another sort of practical that is part of the course. it should be straightforward, because you should have already done similar ones in class, and gone through the theory.

there's a calculation one as well, pretty straightforward if you read the instructions and know the right equations. they can be enthalpy calculations, or titration calculations, usually based on the experiments

i think another one is observation (but we havent done this yet). you have to do a series of experiments and record what you see, i think

not sure what the others are, but some can be assessed together
Reply 3
the observation and interpretation. The observation was a very easy 12 marks, (it goes cloudy/turns purple/burns with a green flame etc.) and the interpretation is explaining why everything happened, which isn't all that difficult. The practicals are the nice bit, equivalent to coursework at GCSE, where you get to try again if you don't do too well, so they're not much bother.

Latest