The Student Room Group
Reply 1
come on, I bet half you out there have a file lying around with that information
Reply 2
SOME Events (off the top of my head):
1917 revolution
Lenin's death 1922
Stalin becoming head of CPSU
WW2 start and end
Yalta and potsdam conferences
Berlin blockade and airlift
Reply 3
Wikipedia actually has a nice Cold War timeline, although I'm loathed to admit it. Its also in the back of one of John Lewis Gaddis' books. I did a timeline for diplomatic crises 1905-1914 foran appendix in my ugrad dissertation, I can't remember which book I got that in, but it'd be an origins of ww1 book, perhaps Steiner: Britain and Origins of First World War. Your best bet, although not in a timeline, would be something like the Columbia Companion to British History or similar.
Reply 4
Oladz
SOME Events (off the top of my head):
1917 revolution
Lenin's death 1922
Stalin becoming head of CPSU
WW2 start and end
Yalta and potsdam conferences
Berlin blockade and airlift

Here are some more important cold war dates;
1947 indian independence - end of the empire
1948 israel formed - obvious
1950 end of chinese civil war, commies victorious
1950-1953 (amirite?) korean war
1956 suez crisis - k the empires definetly gone
1965 rhodesian UDI
1967 six day war transforms middle east
1979 islamic revolution in iran

look up the SALT treaties

also look up France withdrawing from NATO

also, VIETNAM, but I dunno vietnam dates D:

there are some others i cba to remember. that's just off top of mah head.
Reply 5
Bagration
Here are some more important cold war dates;
1947 indian independence - end of the empire
1948 israel formed - obvious
1950 end of chinese civil war, commies victorious
1950-1953 (amirite?) korean war
1956 suez crisis - k the empires definetly gone
1965 rhodesian UDI
1967 six day war transforms middle east
1979 islamic revolution in iran

look up the SALT treaties

also look up France withdrawing from NATO

also, VIETNAM, but I dunno vietnam dates D:

there are some others i cba to remember. that's just off top of mah head.

I thought OP said 1900-44
Reply 6
Oladz
I thought OP said 1900-44

"Has anyone got a collection of relatively important events during the Cold War"

The Cold War didn't even start until 45 so :/
Reply 7
Bagration
"Has anyone got a collection of relatively important events during the Cold War"

Fair point :yep:
Reply 8
Bagration

Well "origins" of the Cold War could mean the tensions that arose before the main period of conflict, ie. the Russian Civil War (1918-21) as Britain and the USA supported the White Army against the Red Army and this caused tension between the West and the Soviet Union. Things like that...
Reply 9
jessieb
Well "origins" of the Cold War could mean the tensions that arose before the main period of conflict, ie. the Russian Civil War (1918-21) as Britain and the USA supported the White Army against the Red Army and this caused tension between the West and the Soviet Union. Things like that...
I know, that's right, but it says a list of "relatively important events in the Cold War"... nowhere does it say that this list is restricted to 1917-1944; the 1917-1944 time period is for origins of the cold war, not relatively important events of the cold war.
Reply 10
The 'origins' of any war are ambiguous- you could look back 45 years to the origins of WWI stemming from German unification, and you could draw on Hitler's experiences at this point in his life for WWII, so there is no definitive point. Most historiography tends to assume it started in earnest in the wake of WWII, trying to put a definitive point to when and where tensions began is nigh on impossible, so its best not touched with a bargepole.

As for events that actually happened once the Cold War got going (and any other timelines for that matter) then you'll get relatively reliable answers on a quick google. Not perfect for academic purposes, but its better than nothing.

Latest

Trending

Trending