The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Tyrotoxism
Yeah, I posted after looking at the first page, I didn't know you said the exact same thing on page 2 :tongue:

Oh btw, did Aziz tell you he got rejected from Imperial :confused:

YOU GUYS KNOW EACH OTHER IN IRL!!!! :eek3: :eek3::eek3:
Tyrotoxism
Yeah, I posted after looking at the first page, I didn't know you said the exact same thing on page 2 :tongue:

Oh btw, did Aziz tell you he got rejected from Imperial :confused:

yeah - tis sad news indeed :frown:
FyreFight
Then that's a question of intelligence, not deprivation. If someone wants to become a doctor, they should have the capability of achieving a C in science subjects based on reading alone. If they're unable to do that at A-level then they'd make absolutely useless medical students and future doctors, who have to glean a vast proportion of their knowledge simply from textbook material.

i agree, and if i was to be their patient, i would definitely want to be treated by someone who is at least semi intelligent and determined to make me better. If they can't even get a C at A level i would be very doubtful about the doctor's ability and his knowledge.
Khodu
Oh c'mon. I work very hard and I live in a deprived area, but if I was applying for medicine I would work harder. We get a lot more support and help from our council when we apply for courses like Medicine.
It's not like your brain is deprived, it's just the determination you need. No matter where you live, if you work hard and have the determination you can achieve anything.

I'm sorry but that is just ridiculous.
I applied to an access scheme 2 years ago and here was one of the criterion:

''Live in an area with a postcode which falls within the lowest 20% of the IMD (Index of Multiple Deprivation) or a member of a travelling family (this will be authenticated by the University''.

As you can imagine you've got to be pretty low down the list of deprivation in Britain to be in the lowest 20% never mind even be on the list at all (believe me I had to trawl though it - there's hundereds of thousands of these postcodes).
Where I grew up was in the lowest 5%.

My school was a joke, the teaching standards were and are still a joke, no-one in the place wanted to be there and it ended in a situation where A-levels were jointly taught by 4 local schools (the other 3 were no better than my own) and one of my tutors (from one of the other schools) being suspended because she lied about my attendance in order to explain my poor grades when in fact she literally didn't teach us. Where I lived was a compete **** hole and I was in a single parent family. I'm bright as a button. Now you tell me that I was going to achieve AAA at A-level because I ''worked hard and had determination''. I achieved much less than that by working hard and having determination.
Also I got jack **** from my council when I applied for medicine - what did you get? (I'm not being sarcastic I really want to know)

Khodu
It's not like your brain is deprived
Of course not but your education is and your upbringing is.

Khodu
No matter where you live
I think I pretty much covered that but seriously I cannot believe that you think that 'determination' will magic everthing better.
Reply 44
Baki
Sorry but if after getting CCC offer for medicine you get CDD without any extenuating circumstances (ie. hit by car/family member dying) then thats just lazy. The result speaks for itself. That or the person simply didn't have the intelligence needed and therefore shouldn't be doing medicine in the first place.

I see your point mate and I agree that getting CCC by a potential medical student should, theoretically, be easy but I have no idea what this girl's circumstances are so I'm not going to lay into her by way of an internet forum. I remember reading a post by a medic on these forum, who got E's in the sciences at A-levels and is now a 4th year at med school, so it can be done.
Reply 45
Glasgow gave me a BCC offer for my advanced highers, but I think they're A-level offers are higher..does anyone know??
Reply 46
AllegedLegends

''Live in an area with a postcode which falls within the lowest 20% of the IMD (Index of Multiple Deprivation) or a member of a travelling family (this will be authenticated by the University''.

Is that Soton? That condition (and a similar one at Oxford etc.) really pissed me off because although my postcode isn't in that percentage I go to school with loads of people who do and we both go to just as **** a school and are no richer/poorer or have families that are more "nurturing to our intellect" or anything.
I went to a school with a GCSE pass rate of around 25% where teachers didn't even know there was a different application deadline for Med/Vet/Dent/Oxbridge because no one had ever applied. There's currently only one language on offer- French because the German teacher taught an entire year the wrong syllabus for the exam board. My GCSE geography and art teachers both left after becoming depressed because they were being bullied by students. My GCSE maths teacher could hardly speak English and yet we're a "Maths and Computing College" They're currently on OFSTED special measures and the head has been fired. They didn't offer many core subjects at A level such as English Language, Chemistry, Physics and ICT.
At the end of the day I achieved AABb which I am very proud of coming from that school but I think people are too quick to place a universal grade on what a medical student should be achieving without considering their background.
AllegedLegends

As you can imagine you've got to be pretty low down the list of deprivation in Britain to be in the lowest 20% never mind even be on the list at all (believe me I had to trawl though it - there's hundereds of thousands of these postcodes).

My school was a joke, the teaching standards were and are still a joke, no-one in the place wanted to be there and it ended in a situation where A-levels were jointly taught by 4 local schools (the other 3 were no better than my own) and one of my tutors (from one of the other schools) being suspended because she lied about my attendance in order to explain my poor grades when in fact she literally didn't teach us. Where I lived was a compete **** hole and I was in a single parent family. I'm bright as a button. Now you tell me that I was going to achieve AAA at A-level because I ''worked hard and had determination''. I achieved much less than that by working hard and having determination.
Also I got jack **** from my council when I applied for medicine - what did you get? (I'm not being sarcastic I really want to know)

I think I pretty much covered that but seriously I cannot believe that you think that 'determination' will magic everthing better.

This, this, and three times this (I applied for Medicine last year so I know what it's like... in fact I nearly reapplied this year =/)
Going to a school like this just saps your faith in humanity tbh.
AllegedLegends

I don't understand what you mean by this - what did you want from your council? (i didn't get anything either :s-smilie:)
Moronic Acid
I don't understand what you mean by this - what did you want from your council? (i didn't get anything either :s-smilie:)

The guy who I quoted (and I shall quote again) said:
Khodu
We get a lot more support and help from our council when we apply for courses like Medicine.

Hence my reply - I haven't a clue what we were supposed to get from our council :confused: .

missimpossible
This, this, and three times this (I applied for Medicine last year so I know what it's like... in fact I nearly reapplied this year =/)
Going to a school like this just saps your faith in humanity tbh.

Ah you expressed what I could not - that's how I feel.

crackerbox
Is that Soton?

Yep, it a great scheme (BM6) but they're a tough cookie though. It's hard getting an interview and then there's only 30 places on the whole course. Hmm, I understand what you mean, you can still be disadvantaged and not be in the lowest IMD.
AllegedLegends
The guy who I quoted (and I shall quote again) said:

Hence my reply - I haven't a clue what we were supposed to got from our council :confused:

Well if it's any consolation i got absolutely nothing from my council - and neither did anyone else i know
Moronic Acid
Well if it's any consolation i got absolutely nothing from my council - and neither did anyone else i know

Well at least now I won't go accusing them of robbing me of deserved 'help' - whatever it may be.
billykwok
i agree, and if i was to be their patient, i would definitely want to be treated by someone who is at least semi intelligent and determined to make me better. If they can't even get a C at A level i would be very doubtful about the doctor's ability and his knowledge.

it looks like a W has managed to appear in your username

take a look outside your little priveleged bubble...
Baki
YOU GUYS KNOW EACH OTHER IN IRL!!!! :eek3: :eek3::eek3:

i know reems23 :wink:
these medics, they get around. lol.
AllegedLegends

Ah you expressed what I could not - that's how I feel.

Glad to be of service :wink:
Reply 55
I don't see why ethnic minorities have a more chance of being accepted. It's not fair.
Reply 56
AllegedLegends

And i also 100% agree with this. Im an applicant to bm6 and i think the course provides a great opportunity to those who have had difficulties. For a whole load of reasons i have underacheived in public examinations and at school i was told that my application to medicine was a joke. My school favours the AAA type geniuses and tries to push them into medicine so in the run up to UCAS i was pushed aside and everyone at school tried to stop me applying because they thought my background was not suitable. They were so shocked when they found out I had received interviews that some of my teachers thought i was lying about them. It is not justifiable to say "if you work hard and have determination you'll get there" and "it is not your brain that is deprived". there are so many factors that come into play and so many barriers people have to face. To even get to stage where i am in my own app has been a complete nighmare and i honestly dont know what i will do if i get anymore rejections because for me getting AAA is just not an option. For me getting a B is more of an acheviement than when some of you get As because it has taken me a lot of time and work and effort to get it.
Reply 57
WarmEye
I don't see why ethnic minorities have a more chance of being accepted. It's not fair.

The medical profession has to be represented by doctors who have similar backgrounds as those who they are called upon to treat otherwise they cannot relate to the patient.
sd91
And i also 100% agree with this. Im an applicant to bm6 and i think the course provides a great opportunity to those who have had difficulties. For a whole load of reasons i have underacheived in public examinations and at school i was told that my application to medicine was a joke. My school favours the AAA type geniuses and tries to push them into medicine so in the run up to UCAS i was pushed aside and everyone at school tried to stop me applying because they thought my background was not suitable. They were so shocked when they found out I had received interviews that some of my teachers thought i was lying about them. It is not justifiable to say "if you work hard and have determination you'll get there" and "it is not your brain that is deprived". there are so many factors that come into play and so many barriers people have to face. To even get to stage where i am in my own app has been a complete nighmare and i honestly dont know what i will do if i get anymore rejections because for me getting AAA is just not an option. For me getting a B is more of an acheviement than when some of you get As because it has taken me a lot of time and work and effort to get it.

I hope it works out for you - good luck!! :biggrin:
Khodu
Oh c'mon. I work very hard and I live in a deprived area, but if I was applying for medicine I would work harder. We get a lot more support and help from our council when we apply for courses like Medicine.
It's not like your brain is deprived, it's just the determination you need. No matter where you live, if you work hard and have the determination you can achieve anything.

No, but deprived areas often have really bad teaching standards and behaviour problems.(I know not all, but alot) So yes, they may be as clever, just not had the chance to fulfil theirselves. Especially when young, when you never get books to take home so you wouldn't work outside school or anyrthing. You are therefore at a disadvantage to people at other schools, so why shouldn't they have lower offers?

Latest

Trending

Trending