The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I suppose that F=dpdtF = \frac{dp}{dt} is technically more true...
Reply 41
El Doctoré de Mystéro

Surely the Laplace operator looks WAY nicer than all the partial derivatives?! And also the fact that it applies to any number of dimensions in any coordinate system.

Aye, suppose.

I just like partials though! They're so cool to write lol.
Reply 42
I don't see how any physicist could not (aesthetically) appreciate the differential form of Maxwell's equations, the integral forms ain't so pretty though, the Schrodinger equation (in its general
Unparseable latex formula:

\math{H} \psi = E \psi

form) is also rather good.

I rather like S=klnΩS=k \ln \Omega and for some reason Q=ieβϵiQ = \sum_ie^{-\beta \epsilon_i} appeals to me too. The partition function is just amazing, especially for something which is essentially a normalising coefficient.
Although this is not an equation but I kind of like this.

(x)(xAxB)A=B(\forall x)(x \in A \leftrightarrow x \in B) \rightarrow A=B
No one for the GR field equations or Einstein-Hilbert action? Rather than being one equation the first is 10 equations since the indices run over 0,1,2,3 and the Ricci tensor is symmetric:

Rμν12Rgμν=8πGTμν \displaystyle R_{\mu \nu} - \frac{1}{2} R g_{\mu \nu} = 8 \pi G T_{\mu \nu}

If you were feeling flush with cash you could even include the c's.
Reply 45
0 div curl F
No one for the GR field equations or Einstein-Hilbert action? Rather than being one equation the first is 10 equations since the indices run over 0,1,2,3 and the Ricci tensor is symmetric:

Rμν12Rgμν=8πGTμν \displaystyle R_{\mu \nu} - \frac{1}{2} R g_{\mu \nu} = 8 \pi G T_{\mu \nu}

If you were feeling flush with cash you could even include the c's.

Speaking of which, not really an equation but the Lorentz factor is nice :smile:. I like equations that you can just look at and think "ah yeah, I can see how that logically makes sense".
Mush
Oh, and I'd probably go for Laplace equation:

2φ2x+2φ2y+2φ2z=0\displaystyle \frac{\partial^2 \varphi}{\partial^2 x} +\frac{\partial^2 \varphi}{\partial^2 y} +\frac{\partial^2 \varphi}{\partial^2 z} =0

I like partials, for some reason.

Or, more compactly, and equally as cool:

2φ=0 \nabla^2 \varphi = 0

I'd go for Poisson's equation of Laplace's.
Reply 47
I would just have

μ\mu
Reply 48
good thread, not my favourite but i can't believe the quadratic formula hasn't come up yet

x=b±b24ac2a x=\frac{-b \pm \sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}

i'd stick to:

vs=μρ v_s=\sqrt{\frac{\mu}{\rho}}

but then i do like euler...
Reply 49
F = ma its surly the most important equation in physics, mechanics is all about this formula
Reply 50
gbp1
F = ma its surly the most important equation in physics, mechanics is all about this formula

But it's not strictly speaking true as in the relativistic case mass changes, hence the "rate of change of momentum" version that people have been saying... Also massless particles (i.e. photons) can also exert force.
Reply 51
Hellier
If you were to have an equation tatooed somewhere upon your person, which would it be and why? (see my profile page for a rather spiffing example)

Hi, just signed up because I thought the thread was interesting. And because I came across this picture the other day:

http://talklikeaphysicist.com/2008/must-see-fourier-transform-tattoo/

- which I thought was very relevant to your post that started this thread.

So - Fourier, anyone? :rolleyes:
jack65
Hi, just signed up because I thought the thread was interesting. And because I came across this picture the other day:

http://talklikeaphysicist.com/2008/must-see-fourier-transform-tattoo/

- which I thought was very relevant to your post that started this thread.

So - Fourier, anyone? :rolleyes:

Well I guess in 3 years of physics, pretty much everything I've learnt boils down to a fourier transform.
Reply 53
Oh cmon, not everything boils down to a fourier transform. It's totally just a tool....

Latest