The Student Room Group

Graduate entry, fast track course Medicine (A101)

Hi there,

I live in the United Arab Emirates in the Middle East, I am Indian, 19 years and a first-year student at a medical university in this country. I still learn from international textbooks for the medical subjects. I would like to know that by July 2010 I would have finished two years of the medical medical sciences (which I think is the Biomedical Science course in UK) we do in these two years anatomy, physiology, biochemistry, clinical skills, community and forensic medicine, immunology and microbiology, pathology. So I want to know if I will be eligible for graduate course in medicine which is for science graduates, as I have done a two years syllabus similar to a BSc in Biomedical Science or the first two years of medicine in UK after which one gets a BSc (I think). I would like to apply for Oxford. Can I also resit the BMAT even though it is not required for the A101 course (I did it last year- the BMAT). Would they accept me if I got 3.5, 4.0, 4.0, and 4.0 GPA in the four semesters of the next two years? Thank you for your generous help.:smile: Yours faithfully,

Sheryl
Reply 1
The graduate course does not require the BMAT, so unless you are thinking of applying to ucl for entry as a graduate to their 5 year course, or for the 5 year courses at oxf. or cam, then i don't think there is a need to sit it - the bmat results also only last for 1 year, so your previous results won't be accepted. i don't want to sound mean, but also 3.5, 4.0, 4.0 (11.5) is comparatively low.

The graduate A101 course at oxford, and indeed at most (but not all) grad entry courses in the UK will look at the UKCAT (there is also the GAMSAT, and unis which require neither). You should have a look at this site:
http://www.medschoolsonline.co.uk/index.php?

You should also contact the unis you are interested in and ask for their opinion on your application, and whether you will fulfill their entry requirements to be considered.

Good luck ^^
Reply 2
Unless you have graduated with a Bsc or other degree (not the equivalent of) then you would not be eligable. Someone could have studied something very relevant for three years but if they have not graduated then they would not be considered. This is regardless of their stance on international students which you would have to check seperately.
you will not be eligible for the graduate entry course (A101) as you do not have a degree yet, as the name suggest - graduate entry.
But what you can do is to apply for the 5 year regular course (A100), i would strongly advise you to e-mail the prospective universities and ask their opinions on the entry requirements. You would need to sit the BMAT if you want to be considered for an application for oxford medical school though.
best of luck with the application
Thanks everyone, for your good advice, by 3.5, 4.0 and 4.0 I didn't mean a BMAT score, I meant the GPA of the semesters but thanks for the very good and kind advice. Yours sincerely,
Sheryl
Reply 5
It's worth mentioning that not all graduate courses have international spaces.
That's correct, thanks, Cambridge graduate course does not have international spaces but I think Oxford does
Reply 7
Oxford has 7 international spaces for their medicine, this is shared between a100 and a101 with '1 or 2' of these spaces going to a101.
Also make sure you check which unis accept international students!

Latest

Trending

Trending