The Student Room Group

Mobile Speed Camera operating distance

Sorry if this has been done to death, but......

At what distance can mobile speed cameras operate. I had one which as I got about 20 metres away it said "SPEED CHECK" in red writing. I noticed the high visibility van from about 100 metres (as it was hidden inside one of them off road bus stops), and slowed from no more than 50, to about 44 in a 40 zone.

And also is it just the police who can prosecute you, since it wasn't a police van, but a speed partnership awareness van (or whatever the hell its called). I was the only one on the road at the time.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
osamab
Sorry if this has been done to death, but......

At what distance can mobile speed cameras operate. I had one which as I got about 20 metres away it said "SPEED CHECK" in red writing. I noticed the high visibility van from about 100 metres (as it was hidden inside one of them off road bus stops), and slowed from no more than 50, to about 44 in a 40 zone.

And also is it just the police who can prosecute you, since it wasn't a police van, but a speed partnership awareness van (or whatever the hell its called). I was the only one on the road at the time.

Depending on the equipment, over half a mile. The safety camera partnership are also entitled to prosecute, as they work in partnership with the police.

You've probably been caught. Have you got 3 points and £60 spare? (Though they'll probably offer you the speed awareness course) if you're a first-time offender.
Reply 2
I got three points and £60 for 90 on the M4, I was photographed at a distance by a safety-camera partnership van. Not all areas offer speed-awareness courses, mine certainly did not.
Reply 3
From http://speedcam.co.uk/....

The next three pictures were taken on the A36 in Wiltshire by someone who was caught by a Talivan. This first picture was taken from the spot where his car was recorded - can you see the Talivan from here?

This picture is taken from the same spot with the zoom on full - can you see it now?

This picture was taken a few car lengths from the van. It's definitely visible now.

Reply 4
Yeah, If I get caught, then this will be my first offence. Will 3 points make a significant difference in terms of insurance renewal? Given the choice I would definately take the speed awareness course, unless the cost of it outweighs the benefits.
Reply 5
Minardi
From http://speedcam.co.uk/....

The next three pictures were taken on the A36 in Wiltshire by someone who was caught by a Talivan. This first picture was taken from the spot where his car was recorded - can you see the Talivan from here?

usually I'm always scanning the horizon for possible hazards, but you can't compare real life to a camera quality picture. I get the point though, that they can track you over long distances. The van was parked around a slight bend and hidden in a bus stop!
Reply 6
osamab
Yeah, If I get caught, then this will be my first offence. Will 3 points make a significant difference in terms of insurance renewal? Given the choice I would definately take the speed awareness course, unless the cost of it outweighs the benefits.

How old are you?
Reply 7
Reply 8
How about not speeding in the first place?
Reply 9
ten bob
How about not speeding in the first place?

Easy in theory, not so much in practice, with the new Police idea of changing speed limits every half mile or so, just because they can, and then putting speed cameras everywhere. Its a favourite trick in many palces, if we vary the speed limit enough people will get confused, speed and then get caught so we can have the fines.
Reply 10
The thing is with speed limits, they often put a whack off sign there to tell you what it is. There are also constant reminders attached to lamposts etc.
Reply 11
I was driving according to the conditions. It's stupid to keep staring down at your speedometer. Taking your eyes off the road, even for a split second can cause an accident.
Reply 12
ten bob
The thing is with speed limits, they often put a whack off sign there to tell you what it is. There are also constant reminders attached to lamposts etc.

They do, but if your trying to watch for traffic, look keep an eye on whats around you, look for people pulling out ahead etc you can't spend your whole time with your eyes on the side of the road looking for speed limit signs. I don't go blasting around at double the limit, but I do miss limit signs simply due to the sheer number of stupid speed limits. As far as the police seem to be concerned, I can run over as many people as I want, as long as I'm doing it at the speed limit. Speed isn't everything.

http://www.safespeed.org.uk/

You can't measure safe driving in miles per hour.
Reply 13
Minardi
They do, but if your trying to watch for traffic, look keep an eye on whats around you, look for people pulling out ahead etc you can't spend your whole time with your eyes on the side of the road looking for speed limit signs. I don't go blasting around at double the limit, but I do miss limit signs simply due to the sheer number of stupid speed limits. As far as the police seem to be concerned, I can run over as many people as I want, as long as I'm doing it at the speed limit. Speed isn't everything.

http://www.safespeed.org.uk/

If you can't see speed signs you shouldn't be behind the wheel.....
Reply 14
ten bob
If you can't see speed signs you shouldn't be behind the wheel.....

You missed the point. I can see them, its just I have other things to watch out for on the road. Drive for a few years and you'll realise.
Reply 15
Minardi
You missed the point. I can see them, its just I have other things to watch out for on the road. Drive for a few years and you'll realise.

I manage perfectly fine. Bet you don't miss the national speed limit signs.

And I didn't miss the point. My point wa that you shouldn't be driving if you can't look out for hazards AND road signs.
Reply 16
ten bob
My point wa that you shouldn't be driving if you can't look out for hazards AND road signs.

I can but choose to ignore them, and drive according to the conditions. The main problem is that police are sneaky and want to generate easy money, instead of genuinly making the roads safer for everyone.
Reply 17
I thought it was 10% of the speed limit + 2 anyway with speed cameras due to the percentage error.

So 44 should be safe if i am correct?
Reply 18
osamab
The main problem is that police are sneaky and want to generate easy money, instead of genuinly making the roads safer for everyone.

This I completely agree with. If you want a read, check either of the two above links I posted.

Ten Bob - Its been known. Less often though, as the limits preceeding them are usually pointlessly low, so you can't help but see them. :rolleyes:. And if you want to know - 10k + miles a year for 3.5 years, in various vehicles, clean licence.
Reply 19
osamab
I can but choose to ignore them, and drive according to the conditions. The main problem is that police are sneaky and want to generate easy money, instead of genuinly making the roads safer for everyone.

The rules are there, you should follow them. Simple as really.

If you want to ignore them and drive to what you think suits the conditions then you deserve all you get.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending