The Student Room Group

If you couldn't go to uni...

What would you do?
I mean like if you hadn't got into uni, or if people here don't get into Uni in august.

I think about it way too much, paranoia perhaps?
If i don't get into uni i want to get a trade i think..
Urgh i have no idea even though its all i think about really.

What do you want to do/would you have done? Just in case..

I hope i'm not the only person who thinks about this..

Scroll to see replies

Gap year. Try again.
Reply 2
I would have got an office job somewhere, rented a flat and then tried to get into the media industry without the education.
Reply 3
Get a job and re-apply next cycle, maybe taking a few months out for travel.
It wouldn't be a big deal :smile:
Reply 4
design some kind of product and try to start up my own business. personally i wouldnt go into a trade because short of hiring more tradesmen and setting up a company around your trade there is no way to expand and grow really.
Reply 5
Go into Politics.

Work in the Bank.

Play games all day.

Work in ASDA.

Go to the gym all day.

...:woo:

Edit: This is if you could never go to University. If you could take a gap year and re-apply next year then I would do this...:smile:
Reply 6
lol- try everything possible to make sure that doesn't happen
Reply 7
I get paranoid about this too! It really brings me down.
I would...get a job, save up, re-apply the year after..

What else is there to do?
Reply 8
Yea, i meant if you could never go to uni.
Reply 9
would have learnt a trade instead and become a mechanic/plumber/electrician...they get pretty decent pay so all good.
I couldn't get into uni because my course that i did was so new it didn't count for UCAS points, you just have to deal with it. I'm looking to go back to college and try it all again (hence me joining this forum, also thought it was quite funny) - but then again i'm happy working up in London atm.. i wouldn't worry about it until it happens.
Run about crying :frown:

Especially as I may struggle resitting my science a levels next year (due to new specification)
make babies
everybody seems to back up plan if they monumentally **** up their education somehow. I'd be a butler, I think, or start a thrash metal Led Zeppelin cover band called "Dead Zeppelin", or write some books, or the army as well actually, or a communist revolution somewhere
Me personally, hands down I'd be off to the armed forces. I could do so much better with a degree, but lets face it, being independent away from home, keeping fit, making new friends and getting paid for the priviledge? Sounds good to me. I regard that option as high as any university place.

You seem slightly worried about this, but there is always Clearing, which many people use to their advantage to secure a good university place. However, if worse comes to worst, a trade wouldn't necessarily be bad thing - especially going into a recession.

As I said to one of my friends who studies Car Mechanics at college: It's all very well complaining you have to get down and dirty underneath a car, and your prospects don't seem amazing, but at the end of the day, if my car breaks down, no amount of A Level Further Maths or A Level Accounting is going to fix that!

Trades are great, especially in hard times like this. To be honest, it doesn't look amazingly productive to be an academic right now!
got a job
Reply 16
in my case,
I would either
retake the ib exams
or
travel to england and work while registering and studying for the a-level exams.
or
just work in any country, study a few years later and go to a uni at a late age.
I am going to join the forces instead; fitness, sport, training,overseas travel, friendships and good pay. oh, and the odd bit of war sometimes, but as a girl you will never be on the front line. they will also pay for any further qualifications such as open university and even give you some time off to do them! winner.
Reply 18
Would be impossible unless I got 3 E's

For the sake of discussion though, I'd just marry a rich person and live a fun househusband life.
Reply 19
If I could never go then I'd try to get some articles published in magazines/journals to find my way into journalism, probably whilst doing a menial office job.

Latest