The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Mr_Nerd
Kings most certainly not, its like a 20 uni in uk so i dont see how it suddenlycan compete with top 10ish unis in the US. UCL not really because uk doesnt have that many good universities in the ivy league "league"

How is it a 20 uni in the uk? who's gonna take you seriously?
The lowest king's ever went down to was 20 in year 2002.
Over the last 3 years or so, its range has been between 10~15.
On the world rankings (Newsweek, THES, Shanghai), it always ranks fairly highly, most of the time just a few places above or below Brown. Dartmouth never even competed with King's properly on the world rankings. I mean, on the Newsweek global 100, it wasn't even included.Im not the one who created the Golden Triangle. King's just is there.You're gonna say, "You need to do some more research. Dartmouth is one of the best in the states for ..... courses"
Well, if that's the case, King's is similar to Dartmouth. It really is course-dependent. For some courses like Politics, Law, History, Music, it is certainly few of the very best in the UK.
As to UCL, it's even more so. It certainly is one of the best in the world.

But again, unless you're stupid, the topic was not which universities are in the ivy league 'league'. was it? If that was the case, I would've made up my own list or group and included Warwick, Durham, etc.
Reply 81
Ivy League = Oxrbidge

LSE and Imperial, while they're excellent universities, aren't Ivy League calibers.
Reply 82
ILIGAN
Ivy League = Oxrbidge

LSE and Imperial, while they're excellent universities, aren't Ivy League calibers.

i'd argue LSE certainly is, imperial doesnt have the funding to be a top notch science university though.

Kings is a 10 - 20 university and whether one is ranked 13 or 20 is inconsequential because they are the same at this lower level. Dartmouth is much better than kings at what it does, i dont think kings registers for anything abroad, its simply not competitive enough
Reply 83
ILIGAN
Ivy League = Oxrbidge

Again, the topic was not how some british unis are as good as the ivy league ones. Read my post fully before posting.

Yes, I've said that at the moment, Oxbridge = Ivy League, in the view of the public. But if one is to be more generous, one could refer to the golden triangle as close to the ivy league, concerning several different aspects.
Reply 84
Mr_Nerd

Kings is a 10 - 20 university and whether one is ranked 13 or 20 is inconsequential because they are the same at this lower level. Dartmouth is much better than kings at what it does, i dont think kings registers for anything abroad, its simply not competitive enough

Why isn't Dartmouth included in the Global 100 Universities ranking, issued by Newsweek, which is an American institution?
Give me proof (at least some rankings) that Dartmouth is much better than King's at what it does.
King's doesn't register anything abroad?
Through what do you think most people outside the uk come across uk universities? Do you think they look for domestic rankings as if they're seriously planning to study in the UK? No, they're mostly interested in how unis stand internationally. People outside the UK don't care that much about the UK to be honest. (Im a foreigner.)
They first become aware of some uk unis by looking at one of those world rankings. King's is and has been always included in them as within the 1~100 boundary.
The placements through which King's is perceived by the generally 'ignorant' public who don't usually care about uk unis:
81st in the world - Shanghai 2008
22nd in the world - THES 2008 (British)
85nd in the world - Newsweek (American)

Dartmouth:
103rd in the world - Shanghai 2008
54th in the world - THES 2008 (British)
not included - Newsweek (American)

Anyway, stop posting and don't bother coming here again, if you're gonna say anything more off-topic. You're constantly off-topic and are making others off-topic as well. It wasn't really about which unis are Ivy League class. Was it?
Golden Triangle has a member who is behind the others in the triangle that's King's.
Ivy Legeague has a member who is behind the others in the league that's Dartmouth and possibly Brown as well.
Reply 85
jy9626
Again, the topic was not how some british unis are as good as the ivy league ones. Read my post fully before posting.

OK, so what is "the topic", then? Whenever somebody challenges your argument that apples are kind of like oranges (because they're round, more or less the same size and the public consider them to be good sources of vitamin C), you get all huffy and aggressive, but I still don't really see what sort of responses you were hoping for. Lots of people agreeing with you and bowing to your wisdom?:confused:
Reply 86
hobnob
OK, so what is "the topic", then? Whenever somebody challenges your argument that apples are kind of like oranges (because they're round, more or less the same size and the public consider them to be good sources of vitamin C), you get all huffy and aggressive, but I still don't really see what sort of responses you were hoping for. Lots of people agreeing with you and bowing to your wisdom?:confused:

The topic was clearly:
The similarities between the Golden Triangle and the Ivy League, which make the Golden Triangle more like the Ivy League than the Russell Group and the Sutton Trust.
Reply 87
jy9626
The topic was clearly:
The similarities between the Golden Triangle and the Ivy League, which make the Golden Triangle more like the Ivy League than the Russell Group and the Sutton Trust.

What similarities? It's like comparing chalk and cheese.
Reply 88
hobnob

Sums up my understanding of this bizarre thread. :s-smilie:
Reply 89
Nothing constructive is being discussed in this thread. It's just being filled with arguments.

Thread closed

Latest

Trending

Trending