The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Graphix
Well mine is going to be on the problem of education - do schools stifle creativity? should we accept knowledge from authority? is education ultimately futile?

Do you think this is TOKish enough...??

In the tok presentation, you need to have a knowledge issue, and a real life event/situation behind it. In your case, the knowledge issue sounds like its "should we accept knowledge from authority?", with the real life thing being school, leading onto governmental propaganda, for example.
Reply 21
tounol
My school has a stupid policy. They refuse to give us our Presentation grade and so I have no idea what I was given. I quite enjoyed it though. I'm hoping the same actually :P

What was your pres on?

well schools are not allowed to give what you get in your presentation, same as your IAs for your subjects.
Reply 22
well schools are not allowed to give what you get in your presentation, same as your IAs for your subjects.

Yep, cause they're subject to moderation by the IBO.
The IBO relies on the schools in checking for plagiarism. I'm not sure whether they require all schools to use turnitin (since I think it's fairly expensive), but I guess most schools do.
But as far as I know, no one will actually notice if you upload a different document to turnitin than you hand in as a hardcopy to your school. In the end, the hardcopy will be marked.
Although if I was an IB coordinator I might randomly pick a few people's essays and check whether the hardcopies and softcopies are identical :P
BUT I don't think any school is ever gonna fail you for submitting different copies, it might well have been a simple mistake :wink:
Reply 23
Fandellos
In the tok presentation, you need to have a knowledge issue, and a real life event/situation behind it. In your case, the knowledge issue sounds like its "should we accept knowledge from authority?", with the real life thing being school, leading onto governmental propaganda, for example.

Yes, the school has drilled the concept of including knowledge issues into us, so there was no way I was forgetting that one...
...and in terms of real life examples, we'll just use things from the news and our own school expriences...

Thanks Fandellos :biggrin:
Reply 24
-MD-
Yep, cause they're subject to moderation by the IBO.
The IBO relies on the schools in checking for plagiarism. I'm not sure whether they require all schools to use turnitin (since I think it's fairly expensive), but I guess most schools do.
But as far as I know, no one will actually notice if you upload a different document to turnitin than you hand in as a hardcopy to your school. In the end, the hardcopy will be marked.
Although if I was an IB coordinator I might randomly pick a few people's essays and check whether the hardcopies and softcopies are identical :P
BUT I don't think any school is ever gonna fail you for submitting different copies, it might well have been a simple mistake :wink:

thanx, i feel reassured now :biggrin:
Reply 25
OK I see how they detect pliagarism in English with tunitin.com but what if i am french and i do an Extended Essay in french, turnitin will not work for all french book no?
Reply 26
deepdh
OK I see how they detect pliagarism in English with tunitin.com but what if i am french and i do an Extended Essay in french, turnitin will not work for all french book no?

Talk about raising a thread from the dead.

I'm sure there's some sort of equivalent.

Latest

Trending

Trending