The Student Room Group

Language course combinations at Cambridge

Okay, so it's a little early for me to be even thinking about university considering that I'm only about 10 or so weeks away from starting my GCSEs but I want to research about language combinations at Cambridge (which I've never really thought about up until today, for some reason) and thought of no better place to ask the questions. :rolleyes:

So, basically I was wondering whether or not I would be able to study Spanish and Chinese? It seems to me a strange combination but one that I've been looking at reading at Manchester which offers it at BA and MML (I'd have to major with a BA given that I won't have the opportunity to study Chinese at A2) so it's not some whimsical choice. I know that at Cambridge you can study a Modern (European) language with as part of the "Asian and Middle Eastern Studies" course but was wondering whether or not Chinese, Japanese, Korean etc. would come under that umbrella. Thanks.
Reply 1
Oh dear, that is a shame! Thanks.
uff.
You can - an exceedingly small number do so. You have to call them up to be sure but a small number of admissions tutors will consider people who want to combine Chinese and Japanese with other languages, or each other. It's very strongly discouraged because of the workload though, and you don't get a year abroad.
Reply 4
hungryhamish
I'm doing Chinese, and you wouldn't want to combine it! It's a lot of work. As well as modern Mandarin we're learning classical Chinese and East Asian history. I applied at other unis for Spanish+Chinese, I think I remember Leeds looking quite good. Leeds and Sheffield are good for modern East Asian stuff.

I've been told in the past that Mandarin is a tremendous challenge given the number of pronunciations of given characters (apparently there are 3/4000 characters that require full literacy in Chinese!) so the workload doesn't surprise me, although I wasn't aware that East Asian History was part of the course - is it mainly history of art/culture/literature or is it history in general?

The West Wing
You can - an exceedingly small number do so. You have to call them up to be sure but a small number of admissions tutors will consider people who want to combine Chinese and Japanese with other languages, or each other. It's very strongly discouraged because of the workload though, and you don't get a year abroad.

Given the workload, as I've said before, I realise that there would be little time to do anything else and there would be disapproval given that tutors do want you to experience the given country's language/culture in the year abroad - when you say "an exceedingly small number" is that around 4 or 5 people or more?

Thanks both of you. :smile:
TheMeister

Given the workload, as I've said before, I realise that there would be little time to do anything else and there would be disapproval given that tutors do want you to experience the given country's language/culture in the year abroad - when you say "an exceedingly small number" is that around 4 or 5 people or more?

Thanks both of you. :smile:

I think it's more in the realm of 0-2 a year, closer to the lower end.
When I was on the open day for Asian and Middle Eastern studies, I remember hearing that East Asian languages could not be combined with any modern languages, because it would be "impossible", as far as the workload's concerned. But the man did later add something along the lines of "on occasion, we have in the past allowed students of Chinese or Japanese to study a limited amount of a post-A level MML language in their part II". It would seem then that, if it is possible, it would only be possible in the 3rd & 4th years. As for the not getting a year abroad, that would also surprise me, as I remember being told pretty definitively that "you can't do part II of AMES without spending a year abroad".
Just thought I'd mention what I could remember from the open day, but don't take my word for any of it- I wasn't even listening very carefully as it was Middle Eastern studies that I was interested in.
Reply 7
The West Wing
I think it's more in the realm of 0-2 a year, closer to the lower end.

That's probably about right, even though not really something I would have thought about a week ago.
renaissancemensch
When I was on the open day for Asian and Middle Eastern studies, I remember hearing that East Asian languages could not be combined with any modern languages, because it would be "impossible", as far as the workload's concerned. But the man did later add something along the lines of "on occasion, we have in the past allowed students of Chinese or Japanese to study a limited amount of a post-A level MML language in their part II". It would seem then that, if it is possible, it would only be possible in the 3rd & 4th years. As for the not getting a year abroad, that would also surprise me, as I remember being told pretty definitively that "you can't do part II of AMES without spending a year abroad".
Just thought I'd mention what I could remember from the open day, but don't take my word for any of it- I wasn't even listening very carefully as it was Middle Eastern studies that I was interested in.

Thank you, that's helped alot. Did you eventually get onto the AMES course?
TheMeister
That's probably about right, even though not really something I would have thought about a week ago.

Thank you, that's helped alot. Did you eventually get onto the AMES course?

Yes, I've received an offer.
Reply 9
renaissancemensch
Yes, I've received an offer.

Well done, good luck!

I would have said that in Arabic, Urdu etc. but I haven't a clue how to. :tongue:
Reply 10
The only thing you can do I know of is to do two years of Chinese, go on your year abroad, and while being in China/Japan begin learning the language etc and then come back and do some papers in Chinese and some in the other language. Personally I dont think it makes sense, but thats up to you.
TheMeister
I wasn't aware that East Asian History was part of the course - is it mainly history of art/culture/literature or is it history in general?

Mainly political I guess. Also things like religions, development of writing technologies.. well, here's our EAS syllabus for this term. The 'JM' etc are just our lecturers initials:
15 Jan Medieval Japan (PK)
20 Jan Cities and urban culture (JM)
21 Jan Seminars on Korean history (MS)
22 Jan Print cultures (PK)
27 Jan Neo-Confucianism and intellectual trends (JM)
29 Jan The new East Asian order (JM)
3 Feb The Mongols (JM)
4 Feb Third essay-writing session (PK)
5 Feb The Ming tribute system (JM)
10 Feb Trade in the 16th century (JM)
12 Feb The international order in the 17th century (PK)
17 Feb Tokugawa Japan and the outside world (PK)
18 Feb Seminars on literary works (JM for Ch, RB for J)
19 Feb Literacy and education (PK)
24 Feb Population, environment and state (HV)
26 Feb Taiping rebellion in its global context (HV)
3 Mar Imperialism in the 19th-century (HV)
4 Mar Fourth essay-writing session (PK)
5 Mar Nationhood and nationalism (BK)
10 Mar Technologies and state-building (BK)
Each session is one hour, we get 3/4 essays a term with a 1 hour supervision after each in a group of 4-6. This year we're doing a chronological overview from the earliest known history to the 20th century.

Latest

Trending

Trending