The Student Room Group
Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website

1st Year accommodation

I'm starting at hudds in september and can't decide which is the best place for a 1st year to stay. I've heard that storeths hall is quite shabby and the distance might be a pain but is it a better 1st year experience and for meeting people? I'm quite interested in Aspley but dont want to be one of the only first years.

Any advice on whats best for getting the best student expierience? =)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Haven't got any experience on living, but went to see Storthes Hall on an open day, and spoken to friend who is there atm. Have to say i think that it looks like a cracking place to stay, didn't seem shabby at all! The bus that moves been the hall and uni seems to solve the distance problem though. Thats where I want to go anyway heh
Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website
Reply 2
Storthes is definitely the place for first year. 1500 (or so) mainly first years in one place makes it absolutely mad. Aye, the bus is a pain at times but you get used to it. I'm sure some of the others can back me up when I say that dbar on the first weekend especially is awesome :biggrin:
Reply 3
dbar on any weekend is awesome! :biggrin: oh how i miss it.
Reply 4
im starting next year and i'll be going storthes
Reply 5
im going to storthes hall as thats where most first years go =]
Reply 6
i'm going to aspley :smile:
seems a better deal compared storthes, its pretty much same price as storthes but its right next to the uni, has its own pool, has a living area with a tv and its modern :smile:
Reply 7
Aspley.. the proximity to uni and town is just so helpful and from what I hear it's quite modern and has great facilities. Glad I'm not the only first year going there :P
Reply 8
D 10 A

Yourself?
Reply 9
Hi, i applied for my accomodation this week for huddersfield. After looking around places i choose storthes hall. When i looked around the room didnt seem fantastic and blow me away and so i understand why people say its "abit shabby". Ive seen other places on internet and looked at the pics. Fair enough they may look better but i choose storthes on the basis that it is prodomently first years who stay there. After this year im going to consider Viaduct Works. Good luck in your choice :smile:
Reply 10
Never heard of Viaduct Works but after a quick Google I wish I'd known about the place (and the company that runs/lets it) at the end of my first year (and before I quit Hudds)!
Reply 11
Anth
Never heard of Viaduct Works but after a quick Google I wish I'd known about the place (and the company that runs/lets it) at the end of my first year (and before I quit Hudds)!

same. they look pretty cool. better than the two houses i lived in after storthes anyway. thought i'd probably still be with the same people...shame they don't do 1 bedroom flats.
Reply 12
people staying at aspley..
i've booked it n its confirmed but i don't think i have anything with my room number? how did u find out n how long after you booked?
thankss
Reply 13
no, i did it online but i did get a receipt so i'll have a look, thanks
Reply 14
B 04 B :smile:
kaviar are you doing creative imaging graphics? cos i'm doing advertising!
People, Storthes is the place to live, especially if ya a first year x:biggrin:
Reply 16
Kaviar
B something of the top of my head...
Nice to know I'm not gonna be the only guy there who's not 18 as well :smile:

For sure... I bet I'm gonna still feel like such an oldie though as I'll be older than most final year students :P
Reply 17
Kaviar
I think i read in the finance booklet that 54% or something of student's last year were over 18... I'm sure that includes all sorts of places as well as Uni's but the only wall your gonna come across is if you put one there. Be right.

Interesting stat, didn't realise it was so high but it doesn't surprise me that much. Bring it on! :woo:
Reply 18
Storthes is fairly OK, bar the distance and the fact you don't get a lounge.

Aspley is only really good for the distance. Quality is OK, but very thin walls so be prepared to hear everything from the person above peeing, to the person in the next flat talking.
Reply 19
FullyITFC
Storthes is fairly OK, bar the distance and the fact you don't get a lounge.

Aspley is only really good for the distance. Quality is OK, but very thin walls so be prepared to hear everything from the person above peeing, to the person in the next flat talking.

blimey. i'm imagining what living at aspley with my old storthes flatmates would be like:eek:

(one guy and his girlfriend used to have full blown screaming matches. every day. at least twice. it got so bad at 2am one day that my ex, who had the room next door, called security...)

Latest

Trending

Trending