The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Have you tried the Economist? and Business Weekly? And Forbes? If you're not interested in reading girly magazine those are some thought provoking ones.
Otherwise what about Oprah's O Magazine? or Women's Weekly?
KirstyK
Have you tried the Economist? and Business Weekly? And Forbes? If you're not interested in reading girly magazine those are some thought provoking ones.
Otherwise what about Oprah's O Magazine? or Women's Weekly?

But, Im actually no really into business and things like that either. Womens Weekly-LOL. I hate Oprah. I wana start MY OWN magazine, seriously......:redface:
read the top gear mag :smile:
Walkin'Butterfly
But, Im actually no really into business and things like that either. Womens Weekly-LOL. I hate Oprah. I wana start MY OWN magazine, seriously......:redface:

What are you into? There's bound to be something that caters for you.
Reply 44
Walkin'Butterfly

5. You should have regular shopping trips and sleepovers with a group of your 'besties'.

Hhahahahahahhahahahha.

The adult equivalent is the same though with Heat and Closer just showing people how to copy celebrities.

These magazines are aimed at the majority of retards in todays society - whose jobs are usually hairdresser or nail technician.

People are easily pleased nowadays and stupidity obviously sells.
missimpossible
Actually, does anyone remember Sneak? Definitely the worst EVER, it was soooo trashy. I've not seen it in a while tho, does it still exist?

No I think it stopped. I used to get it on the way to school every Tuesday :biggrin:
Reply 46
Walkin'Butterfly

What about Hello Magazine?
I can't believe I used to read Sugar and all that rubbish now too. Now I read Cosmo religiously, also New Scientist and T3.
don't read them then :/ go read diva or something. seriously, there are plenty of good magazines that cater to everyone if you go to borders/smiths and look around, or buy online.
i read crap loads of magazines on things that i care about, which ranges from fashion(soz) to the RICS's opinion on the potential of solar power.

edit: just looked at your profile, go to the section in borders where they keep all the gay/lesbian life style magazines, they also throw in stuff like amelia's magazine and dazed & confused magazine there. try one of them, just pick something pretentious looking from there/the art section et voila! the perfect magazine for a grumbly sixteen year old girl who has slightly eclectic(but actually pretty well catered for) tastes.
I think my faith in UK womanhood has been restored - the population of girls in their teens and twenties are not all silly millies obsessed with celebrities and getting pub&dwunked.
Reply 50
teen magazines need something to make them sell.
Reply 51
The Cringes in those magazines used to make me laugh. They all seemed to go something like this:

I was walking my dog, and texting when I walked into a lamp post and fell over in a dog poo and my skirt went over my head and I heard laughing and my crush was standing there. Major cringe! And he was laughing at me.

When I look back at the stuff I used to read, I worry lol.
Reply 52
M_J
I know what you mean there, I used to read sugar, bliss, shout, mizz, more, etc.. regularly.. like every week. I don't think I ever saw anything suggesting girls might like girls too.

As for a good magazine, BBC focus. <3

Very Very good point.
I remember Sneak. I haven't bought a magazine in about a year, probably more. Women's magazines are so vapid, its worrying what they brainwash young girls minds with, clothes, boys, TV, make up, celebrities, repeat. I prefer books to be honest!

Dont get me started on Heat and crap..So and so has a button missing on her top, so bloody what???
Botticello
I remember Sneak. I haven't bought a magazine in about a year, probably more. Women's magazines are so vapid, its worrying what they brainwash young girls minds with, clothes, boys, TV, make up, celebrities, repeat. I prefer books to be honest!

Dont get me started on Heat and crap..So and so has a button missing on her top, so bloody what???

I think the scariest articles are the ones about weight (not wanting to get into this debate again, but just thought I'd mention it). You know, every single cover I see has "such-and-such piles on pounds!" right next to "so-and-so desperately thin!"

It makes no sense! None at all! It makes me really sad tho, I just feel like yelling at them to leave people the **** alone. It's not like we need celebrity culture. If all these magazines and coverage of reality TV stars disappeared tomorrow, pretty soon nobody would care.

As for teenage magazines, well, everyone's pretty much said everything I wanted to say about those.

There is good reading out there, but there's an awful lot of rubbish at the moment.
Then avoid them. Leave the world to its ignorance.
Reply 56
I read New Scientist, BBC Wildlife Magazine as well as the odd shufti at The Ecologist online, my mother's issues of Gardeners World and Permaculture Magazine... I'm only 18 :redface:

I don't think I've ever actually read a women's mag apart from Prima, which actually IS aimed at middle aged women. I need to get out more. :laugh:
Reply 57
Sometimes Q has some very interesting articles, some not to do with music even. And regards a wider area of films and books too. I've always liked the photography in Q as well. Don't buy it every week though, the lists will get annoying, and if you're not particularly into music or being dictated to about which album is the best EVER 2009, it will be irritating.
Teenagers are stupid, girls are stupid, magazine readers are stupid. What possible combination of magazines aimed at teenage girls did you think would yield something halfway intelligent?
Got tired of magazines aimed at teenagers when I was sixteen - because there weren't any good ones left. I remember how good J-17 used to be...and I used to be completely addicted to the American teen magazines like ELLEgirl, Teen Vogue, Cosmogirl, Seventeen...

Still read Dazed & Confused and NYLON from time to time though.

Latest

Trending

Trending