The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
because they don't have any natural resources and believe it or not, america doesn't liberate countries for free.
Reply 2
What is it exactly that they do in North Korea? It's on a lockdown right?
Lolicon
I'm hearing that it is run by communism and that the country itself is quite horrendous. Is there freedom of speech there? And why didn't America liberate this country of its treacherous acts?

Because it's none of their ******* business. Liberate? ********, you mean meddle with other people's business and ruin things further, for their own personal interests. I think they've learned from their previous mistakes not to do so again...at least I hope so. North Korea also has nukes :wink:

To summarise: N Korea does not have Oil. :tongue:
because china is backing it?
Reply 5
Lolicon
What is it exactly that they do in North Korea? It's on a lockdown right?

In what sense? There's a DMZ between North and South Korea, which has been there since the end of the Korean War. And the last time America tried to get rid of Communism in the North, China gave a helping hand to NK, and seriously overpowered the American forces. Indeed, the Americans even considered using nuclear weapons to try and stop the Communist forces.
Reply 6
1 Economic Historian
Because it's none of their ******* business. Liberate? ********, you mean meddle with other people's business and ruin things further, for their own personal interests. I think they've learned from their previous mistakes not to do so again...at least I hope so. North Korea also has nukes :wink:

But then again was meddling with Irak any of America's business? Anyway I just want my main questions to be answered: Is NK a communist country, if so why? And why is it that it's on a lockdown, so to speak.
Reply 7
1 Economic Historian

North Koreans are slaves. There's no "peoples business" you can meddle with there. The only business you can meddle with is the dictators business.
Reply 8
borismor
North Koreans are slaves. There's no "peoples business" you can meddle with there. The only business you can meddle with is the dictators business.

Please elaborate, and where are your sources from?
Reply 9
Actually, there are markets beginning to emerge where locals can buy/sell products. Although it is ran by the government, people are free to purchase what they want.

North Korea is a communist country, under the control of the great general Kim Jong Il [although the president is technically still his deceased father.] The thing is, that although the western world paints a picture of everyone being unhappy and peeople trying desperately to escape, the fact is that lots of people are very content with their lives. They get free food, free living arrangements, and they do work that helps the greater good of the union, ie working together for the good of the country. the vast majority of the people that want/try to escape mainly want to for political reasons. IIRC, the number of people trying to escape has actually decreased.

People don't know how the outside world works, and think that they have the worlds greatest army since "they march in perfect sync" - the government keeps many things from them [for example there's only two television channels, and they both play the same propagandist shows] although outside information seems to be coming in greater than what it used to.

In terms of the "why doesn't America ~liberate~ them" which IMO is a ******* stupid question - the North Korean people hold HUGE resentment towards them for the destruction of their country during the Korean war [yes, they're still pretty sore about that] even today, you can find anti american posters put up around the country. I think they're still called "infidels" and I remember watching this show where a little girl said she prays every night that America is destroyed.

So yeah, it is a ccommunist country, ruled by a dictator, but the majority of people there are happy with their lives.
Reply 10
Hikari
Actually, there are markets beginning to emerge where locals can buy/sell products. Although it is ran by the government, people are free to purchase what they want.

North Korea is a communist country, under the control of the great general Kim Jong Il [although the president is technically still his deceased father.] The thing is, that although the western world paints a picture of everyone being unhappy and peeople trying desperately to escape, the fact is that lots of people are very content with their lives. They get free food, free living arrangements, and they do work that helps the greater good of the union, ie working together for the good of the country. the vast majority of the people that want/try to escape mainly want to for political reasons. IIRC, the number of people trying to escape has actually decreased.

People don't know how the outside world works, and think that they have the worlds greatest army since "they march in perfect sync" - the government keeps many things from them [for example there's only two television channels, and they both play the same propagandist shows] although outside information seems to be coming in greater than what it used to.

In terms of the "why doesn't America ~liberate~ them" which IMO is a ******* stupid question - the North Korean people hold HUGE resentment towards them for the destruction of their country during the Korean war [yes, they're still pretty sore about that] even today, you can find anti american posters put up around the country. I think they're still called "infidels" and I remember watching this show where a little girl said she prays every night that America is destroyed.

So yeah, it is a ccommunist country, ruled by a dictator, but the majority of people there are happy with their lives.

Are you serious?
Reply 11
I will explain it through the visual medium:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gQtp2Pg_1I

America only invades countries with oil, so watch out Congo.

N.Korea are basically not a big enough threat and they have a major veto power on their side, so nothing can be done, it's a little like Israel and Palestine but without the warring and violence.
Reply 12
Lolicon
Are you serious?

Yes, that's how they were brought up, that's all they know.
Reply 13
Bateman
Yes, that's how they were brought up, that's all they know.

What if they want to move out of Korea? aWhat if I want to go on a holiday to Korea will they accept me in and keep me there or not allow me in? This is some crazy ****.
Reply 14
Lolicon
What if they want to move out of Korea? aWhat if I want to go on a holiday to Korea will they accept me in and keep me there or not allow me in? This is some crazy ****.

google north korea holidays :biggrin:

you can go to north korea and it's a beautiful country.
Hikari
the North Korean people hold HUGE resentment towards them for the destruction of their country during the Korean war [yes, they're still pretty sore about that]

Even though it was the North Koreans that started the war by invading South Korea. :rolleyes:
Reply 16
pinkpont
In what sense? There's a DMZ between North and South Korea, which has been there since the end of the Korean War. And the last time America tried to get rid of Communism in the North, China gave a helping hand to NK, and seriously overpowered the American forces. Indeed, the Americans even considered using nuclear weapons to try and stop the Communist forces.

Exactly, and also, china is an emerging superpower, so would most likely cause WW3. Basically, N-Korea have weapons and could fight back, and as has been said, no oil. Therefore no-go for america.
None of this is sourced btw but its not too far off i reckon.
Reply 17
Lolicon

Yes I am serious, I don't really see why it's so hard to believe. And yes you can go to North Korea for a holiday if wish, but you can only go on a regulated tour, and it is pretty costly.

Good bloke
Even though it was the North Koreans that started the war by invading South Korea. :rolleyes:

Yes, and then when The US began to help the south [since the Russians were helping the North, and i'm sure we all know the state of US/USSR relations in the 60's] pushed them back up to the North and took over a great deal of the northern territory. Then when the US retreated, they basically destroyed, brnt, and stole whatever they could. So in the eys of North Korean's, that's a pretty evil thing to do [I guess they ignore the fact that they instigated it lol~]
Hikari

Yes, and then when The US began to help the south [since the Russians were helping the North, and i'm sure we all know the state of US/USSR relations in the 60's]

You do know that the Korean war was fought - not by the USA alone but by United Nations forces - in the period 1950-53, don't you? The 1960s came a bit later, if I remember correctly.
Reply 19
Lolicon
I'm hearing that it is run by communism and that the country itself is quite horrendous. Is there freedom of speech there? And why didn't America liberate this country of its treacherous acts?
errr...the Korean War?

Latest

Trending

Trending