The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
They would not have the same DNA, because each child would get a random assortment of their parents' genes. They'd be more genetically similar than "normal" cousins, but not like twin sisters. Yes, their DNA would be matching to the extent a "normal" pair of sisters would have.

I think. My head did get a little confused.
Their DNA wouldn't be identical (due to random pairing of chromosomes during meiosis) but they will look like siblings.
Reply 3
Can you imagine if one of the mothers and the other father had a little fling....there'd be all sorts of paternity issues lol
Reply 4
No
that would be pretty confusing growing up for the kids right, if their aunty and uncle were looked the same as their mum and dad?
Reply 6
Dont forget crossing over!
Reply 7
Their grandads would be their great uncles and their grandmothers would be their great aunts.

Wait... is that right?
Reply 8
Haha imagine if they cheated in each other... Nobody would actually know :P
SoapyDish
They would not have the same DNA, because each child would get a random assortment of their parents' genes. They'd be more genetically similar than "normal" cousins, but not like twin sisters. Yes, their DNA would be matching to the extent a "normal" pair of sisters would have.

They would be half brothers and sisters. No wait...I'm confused as well.
Reply 10
2 of my girl cousins who are sissters marred twin guys, one time to trick their wives they went to the others house....lol...it made me lauf :smile:
No.

Imagine if each couple had identical twins...or even better: OCTUPLETS!

TheTallOne
No.

Imagine if each couple had identical twins...or even better: OCTUPLETS!

Then the identical twins got married to their cousins and had more identical twins, and we got inbreeding depression and their IQs went down the toilet? :biggrin:
Reply 13
They would be cousins, genetically though, they'd be like siblings.
Reply 14
No, even if the DNA is the same, the children won't be.

Why?

Because the genes transferred to the children are randomly selected. So if the girl born to the first couple got her green eyes from her mother and her black hair from her father, it's perfectly plausible that the girl born to the second couple would get her blue eyes from her father and her blond hair from her mother.

Got it?
Reply 15
aura1947

Why?

Because the genes transferred to the children are randomly selected. So if the girl born to the first couple got her green eyes from her mother and her black hair from her father, it's perfectly plausible that the girl born to the second couple would get her blue eyes from her father and her blond hair from her mother.

Got it?

What if the mother & father both had blue eyes?
Their DNA would be as similar as if they were sisters. If they were the same age they would look like non-identical twins.
aura1947

Why?

Got it?

But it'd be more likely that both would have black hair and blue eyes non?
Bubblebee
But it'd be more likely that both would have black hair and blue eyes non?

Why? Blue is a recessive trait, so unless both sets of twins had blue eyes (or the female twins parents had blue eyes and so they had recessive blue traits), then surely green eyes would be more likely in their children? For their child to get blue eyes, the female twins would have to have a hidden blue gene from one of their parents. So green is far more likely than blue.

My GCSE biology is shaky, but from what I remember, blue eyes aren't that common unless the parents both had blue eyes. Possible, but unlikely. So while the children could inherit blue eyes from their father, it's more likely that they wouldn't.

As for hair colour, I don't think you can really say which is more likely. People end up with all sorts of hair colours. I have a red headed friend whose parents both have very dark brown hair, and no one in her family has been a redhead since her great grandma. I don't think the genes for hair colour are quite as clear cut as the ones for eyes.
kam_007
Say if there were two sets of identical twins. 2 girls and 2 boys. If they both hooked up with each other and had a child....

... And if both children were girls, would the child have the same DNA?? (ie be pretty much sisters).

Totally random i know.

Common misconception that identifcal twins share the same DNA, it isn't true.
When identical twins are created the egg splits in two but not equally, one gets a different DNA sequence that the other.

And it is possible for two blue eyed people to have a brown eyed child and vice-versa it's all to do with the background genetics of ancestors and homogenous genes. Blue eye is a recessive weak allele that will only prevail usually if both parents have it. Brown eye is the dominant allele that takes over blue cells.
I have one grandparent with brown eyes, three with blue and I have brown eyes>dominant allele theory.
Blue and Brown are the only known alleles for eye colour, Green, Hazel, Grey are all genetic mutations (I was told in A level bio) so you can call yourself a mutant!

Sometimes the gene selection is not right and people can be born with a brown eye and a blue eye, just like different Ear Lobe recession which is another genetic trait.

These twins who married twins with their kids, their kids do look like siblings.

Latest

Trending

Trending