The Student Room Group

MSc Economics

I am currently narrowing my choice of universities down to five, I have chosen two universities but can't narrow down the last three spots.

Firm choices:

Warwick - MSc Economics
Southampton - MSc Economics

Options:

Bath - MSc Economics
Bristol - MSc Economics
Durham - MSc Economics and Finance
Nottingham - MSc Economics and International Economics
York - MSc Economics
UCL - MSc Economics

What would you suggest are the most reputable universities and courses? Having looked at the locations, course structures and fees I am still torn. I appreciate living in London is expensive, but UCL has an excellent reputation so might that be enough to warrant the added expense?

All thoughts and comments are appreciated!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
good choice with Warwick and southampton.
I would say choose Nottingham and UCL definately to fill the other 3 options. Both have good economics departments.
Reply 2
yaknow61
good choice with Warwick and southampton.
I would say choose Nottingham and UCL definately to fill the other 3 options. Both have good economics departments.

That good that they fill three spots?! :eek:

Thanks mate!
Reply 3
As for the third one just look at departments and decide mate.
Reply 4
UCL have an excellent Economics department and they have a 5*A research rating.
Reply 5
Lse?
What AS levels are you taking/what grades do you think you'll get? This will have a large bearing on which universities you choose.
What has AS levels got to do with Original?'s application for masters studies???
Reply 8
Kathryn91919
What AS levels are you taking/what grades do you think you'll get? This will have a large bearing on which universities you choose.

:s-smilie: what are you on about? He is applying for a Postgrad degree, they will be mroe concerned with what he got for his undergrad degree and what he actually 'scored' in his alevels, not what his predicted grades were for his alevels lol.
What he actually scored in his A levels wouldn't matter as well...
Reply 10
Tyrotoxism
UCL have an excellent Economics department and they have a 5*A research rating.

I am tempted, does anyone have a reasonable figure for living costs?

Mr_Nerd
Lse?

I'm afraid I can't pay ~£18,000 in tuition fees.

Kathryn91919

Thank you, but I'm applying to a postgraduate course and A levels are now irrelevant.
Reply 11
LSE if you can afford it. UCL also worth considering. Warwick is good but may i ask what made you choose Southampton over the aforementioned ones?
Original?

I'm afraid I can't pay ~£18,000 in tuition fees.

How much more expensive than the rest are the LSE? I'm just curious.
Reply 13
LSE is £10-14K more than the courses I listed.
Wow, that's a ridiculous amount more than the rest.
Reply 15
Haz313
LSE if you can afford it. UCL also worth considering. Warwick is good but may i ask what made you choose Southampton over the aforementioned ones?

I just can't afford LSE. UCL tuition fees are also more expsensive than others and on top of that I'd have London living expenses, but I am considering it.

I chose Southampton as it is a well respected institution with a solid economics department and a good course structure. It is not however quite as competitive as the other institutions I'm looking at. It's far from certain I will get an offer from Warwick/UCL, so I am trying to diversify my applications a little. Obviously I want to apply to good institutions but some are obviously more competitive than others.

I would really like to hear what people think of Bath, Bristol, Durham, Nottingham and York as well.
Reply 16
Original?
I am currently narrowing my choice of universities down to five, I have chosen two universities but can't narrow down the last three spots.

Firm choices:

Warwick - MSc Economics
Southampton - MSc Economics

Options:

Bath - MSc Economics
Bristol - MSc Economics
Durham - MSc Economics and Finance
Nottingham - MSc Economics and International Economics
York - MSc Economics
UCL - MSc Economics

What would you suggest are the most reputable universities and courses? Having looked at the locations, course structures and fees I am still torn. I appreciate living in London is expensive, but UCL has an excellent reputation so might that be enough to warrant the added expense?

All thoughts and comments are appreciated!

1) warwick
2) durham
3) UCL
4) nott
5) bristol ---for back up

But UCL is quite nice.. I quite liked it when i visited.. but too many "rocks" dispace the "R" with "C" go there.. but nice location and building.. and girls are quite tasty, but thats in the med block.
Reply 17
130ss
1) warwick
2) durham
3) UCL
4) Durham
5) bristol ---for back up

But UCL is quite nice.. I quite liked it when i visited.. but too many "rocks" dispace the "R" with "C" go there.. but nice location and building.. and girls are quite tasty, but thats in the med block.

What the hell?
Reply 18
Haz313
What the hell?

elaborate.... tasty gangsta
Reply 19
130ss
elaborate.... tasty gangsta

Nvm, you've edited it now. Durham was in their twice and is still above UCL which i didn't agree with

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending