The Student Room Group

Is it really true that MC's only recruit from Oxbridge and Golden Triangle???????????

Scroll to see replies

kings dont even offer economics.
Reply 21
its just i read a few threads saying only top 4 london unis and oxbridge are recruited. So it got me thinking. I think the only way anyone will really know is if they know someone that does the recruiting for any of these mc firms...untill then its all speculative..
Reply 22
dark<>horizon
kings dont even offer economics.

king's has business, which is rated fairly high, though.
Reply 23
jy9626
king's has business, which is rated fairly high, though.

Not really.
Reply 24
ma2k5
Not really.

well. tbh, i don't know much about the business world.
but according to some league tables, king's is not the best for business, but is rated 'fairly' high.
there must be a reason why the MC firms pick King's grads though.
I don't get why they don't go for Warwick grads instead anyway.
Okay, just a quick post for now. There are two different classes of management consultancy as I see it, the Bains, BCGs, Mckinseys, OC&Cs, LEKs, et cetera and then the Accenture, Cap Geminis, PWCs, Deloittes et cetera.

For the first group you pretty much stand no chance without amazing, amazing extra-curriculars and work experience from outside Oxbridge (perhaps including LSE in that, though to a lesser degree). These are the really competitive places, numbering thousands of applications per place.

The second group I have less experience with, but it is generally far, far less competitive to get into and they usually employ far more graduates from a far wider spread of universities. The work conducted is not going to be as prestigious or as impactful as that at the first group, but you will probably get to work with large clients, as the first group do and the exit opportunities into the first group aren't extremely bad if you do an MBA.
Reply 26
loggins
Lol...Kings...

I don't get why they don't recruit warwick grads as much, since king's does not even offer economics and has business that is not the best but just fairly good.
However, it's not an institution that can be lol-ed at, generally.
Reply 27
loafer
hay guize, i think bournemouth uni got a few people to BCG last year :awesome:!1

irrelevant but interesting http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123503750085821073.html?mod=loomia&loomia_si=t0:a16:g2:r2:c0.0517835:b0

TSR =/= 4chan.
Reply 28
If you think about it, thos euniversities signify the elite of the country, therefore, they ration out the best for the companies already, so rather than trawl through a laboriously long interview process to see who has the most potential, they'll probably pick someone from those uni's purely on the basis that if they could get in then they are going to be among the best for the job. In saying that, of course there are other reasons why people don't go to the "elite" unis, but on average, it does make sense.
Reply 29
LawBore
TSR =/= 4chan.

merde! and i thought einstein was dead :rolleyes:
Reply 30
loafer
merde! and i thought einstein was dead :rolleyes:

God knows how I found that one out...
Reply 31
LawBore
God knows how I found that one out...

lol. i use it to signal to other members that i am being facetious :cool:
Reply 32
lmfao at the neg feedback over my sig :wink: its not shared, its 2 different ones :top:
someone a little hurt?
Also, with regards to taking a lot of people from Leeds/Kings/UCL etc., I think these are mainly going to be hired for the Tier 2 firms (Big 4 Consulting, Accenture, Cap Gemini, etc.) and not for the Tier 1 giants/boutiques. :smile:
Reply 34
Consultant
Also, with regards to taking a lot of people from Leeds/Kings/UCL etc., I think these are mainly going to be hired for the Tier 2 firms (Big 4 Consulting, Accenture, Cap Gemini, etc.) and not for the Tier 1 giants/boutiques. :smile:

UCl tier 2???
Reply 35
lyrical17
UCl tier 2???

"Tier 1" Management Consultancies almost exclusively recruit Oxbridge students.
lyrical17
UCl tier 2???

With Tier 1 management consultancies being almost entirely Oxbridge graduates and from what limited experience I have of Tier 2 management consultancies, they will be dominated by Oxbridge graduates too, though with a far greater mix of graduates, from places like UCL, yes.
130ss
No.. Thats a load of bull.. My uncle works at prince waterhouse coopers and he never went to a top uni.. I also know many people that work at top places who went to bad unis.. it is all to luck end of the day

price waterhouse coopers ?
lyrical17
UCl tier 2???

Yes, UCL is tier 2. See above for reasons why.
Reply 39
Inter-Company
Yes, UCL is tier 2. See above for reasons why.

so tier 1 is what exactly, just oxbridge?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending