Cambridge

Christ's College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Good luck to all those with interviews, mine is on tuesday :smile:
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
crafty bison
Last year we had two (of the best in the university) courts. Now they are inaccessible. When you arrive (if you get in) there will be only one, with the consolation of a small gym next to it.

I am a geographer and I play squash (when I can) so you'll be in good company. I didn't get interviewed at Christ's though; besides you've probably had your interview by now?

damn, one courts alright though, not as bad as Downing where i went to see the squash courts and they were being turned into what looked like offices, LOL. Yeah i had my interview on the 29th, got just over 2 weeks to wait now.....
Reply 282
I have a friend who's big at squash, although I think she plays for uni rather than Christ's. Her matches and practises seem to take place late at night most of the time, obviously means you get to miss quite a few nights out...

isn't today decision day? Or at least it was last year.
Reply 283
it's the third david... posting day is today though it will take till tomo for the letters to arrive.
i got in! AAAA, with A's in Geography and History then either AA in Maths/Further or AEA distinction in geography :eek: but hey, an offers and offer!
I wonder where all those lucky people with EE offers are lol.
I'm one of those "lucky people" who have got an EE offer for history!
Reply 286
EE for engineering lol. anyone else for engg on this?
Reply 287
Did you all receive by mail?
Reply 288
To all with offers so far.... well done! Hope to see many of you in October.

the_real_man
I'm one of those "lucky people" who have got an EE offer for history!

There's a good chance you'll end up living where do I now, z block. Most matric offers get put there (a few are in staircase 4 this year too, dunno if that happens every year or just because of building this year). It's a very nice place :smile:

Also on a different subject I'm this year's JCR webmaster and I'm current redoing the jcr web site - once finished you guys should be able to log on and see loads of pics etc of student life here, plus you will be able to look up your room and see what it's like!
Reply 289
please tell me z-block has ensuite?
Reply 290
Nope. Not many rooms do in college. It's no big deal though, my room in z is less than a metre from the bathroom, and I only share it with 4 people.

Most of staircase 4 is ensuite, you get a sink and a bath. Shower is shared between your corridor-mates.

Oh and this year some freshers were put in Z annexe, most of which are ensuite and have showers.

Don't worry about it though. living in college isn't like being in a hotel where you know nobody around you. the people you live around you'll get to know really well and so sharing a bathroom is no biggie.

They're also refurbishing the Typewriter this year so all rooms will be ensuite next year - but they're still an unknown quantity really. I have emailed accomodation office so I can get updated details to put on the rooms database for the web site!
Reply 291
davidt

Also on a different subject I'm this year's JCR webmaster and I'm current redoing the jcr web site - once finished you guys should be able to log on and see loads of pics etc of student life here, plus you will be able to look up your room and see what it's like!

Shameless JCR plug there David! :tongue:

On the other points on this forum, traditionally, IIRC, 1st years go in the Typewriter (New Court) apart from matric offer holders who got nicer rooms in Z to treat them. However, if New Court (which used to be a dump) turns out to be nicer once they've done it all out then maybe this rule will change.

But sharing bathrooms, as David says, is no big deal at all. I'm in Third Court and have to share with about 11 people but you really don't notice it after about a day and its rare that you will be in there with another person anyway, even in the mornings. And I certainly prefer my room and its location to being on the otherside of college with an ensuite (plus it's cheaper). But that maybe just me!

The only annoying thing is for people in First Court who have to cross the whole court for a shower in the library building (mad I know). But these are all scholars' rooms so won't affect you until your second year (if you get a first!)
Reply 292
Rich I think there's a bathroom at the bottom of M staircase too so you don't have to go all the way to the library...
Reply 293
I'm sure i was told my somebody that people had to cross the court... hmm maybe they were bull%%%%%%%%ting?
Hey, well done to all those who have offers at Christ's, I'm getting pretty excited at the prospect of going there :smile: Just a couple of points, I hope we have some good chessplayers this year as looking at the website christ's chess seems to be going through a rough patch :smile: Also, about the football team, is it done by years or is the team made up from every year combined?
Reply 295
It's every year combined, not that I know anything about college sport.
And don't have a clue about Chess. Which maybe a bad sign... What website was that?
Reply 296
The football club, the CCAFC as they like to be called, draw upon all years. All sports are like that. It's basically anybody who wants to go along and play, can. I play hockey and we're always glad of players - most times last term we either had no subs or were men down.

AFAIK ccafc have 3 teams:

- Firsts: in the university Premier League (or whatever it's called) - you need to be a reasonable player to get in

- Seconds

- All-stars: anybody who wants to - no lower limit on talent. they're something like the worst side in the university.

@Rich - It may just be a bath at the foot of M. We'll have to check it out next week when we're back...
kl, thanks for that info...i was wondering how serious college sport is..i mean do you have to turn up for every training session to get picked for the team...because that's the case at my scl...or is it more relaxed...and is it run by students or the professors?
Reply 298
I don't really know how strict they are. Possibly for the first teams in Rugby and Football you might be expected to turn up as much as you humanly can. But stuff like teh "All Stars" are obv much more relaxed. And as David showed, the Hockey team is always on the look out really.

Rowing appears to be rather more serious, with 6am jaunts to the river.

And yes, it is most certainly all student-run!!
Reply 299
mach2speedy
kl, thanks for that info...i was wondering how serious college sport is..i mean do you have to turn up for every training session to get picked for the team...because that's the case at my scl...or is it more relaxed...and is it run by students or the professors?

Everything extracurricular is student run - some societies have a fellow as president/treasurer but it's all student run. There are some crossover cases like music society where there's a Director of Music as college staff and there's all sorts of crossovers with the chapel but on the whole any sports will be done by students. A society can apply for funding from the JCR (christ's students union) who have a budget and give out money to keep the clubs going.

Sports clubs just ask you be keen and up for it, and normally turning up to practices goes hand in hand with that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending