The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Christ's College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 360
hehe fraid not though apparently a pipe burst in the new basement the other day. that's as close as you'll get i'm afraid...

kelsey kerridge the local pool is about a 10 mins walk away from college though!
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 361
Rich_b
hehe fraid not though apparently a pipe burst in the new basement the other day. that's as close as you'll get i'm afraid...

kelsey kerridge the local pool is about a 10 mins walk away from college though!

What's tennis and badminton like at christ's? Also, is there a free pool table or Ping pong table? What's the bar like ? any pictures.
Reply 362
i'm afraid i know very little about either sport, other than a couple of friends play badminton every week so it obviously happens. last year there was a pool table in the JCR (undergrad common room) that was 20p a game i think, no table tennis. All this will be changing this year with the new building, and I have no idea what might or might not be in there.

The bar is smaller than a lot of colleges, and in first court, an old part of the college, rather than a new building like a lot of colleges. It's really quite cosy though and you can pretty much always find someone to chat in there too. And unlike most colleges, you pay for all drink on your college card (and it goes on a bill with your hall food) so you don't have to pay in cash and feel like you're spending money :smile:

For some pics of all round college, do try the JCR (as in the student union) website.... www.thejcr.co.uk
Reply 363
im applying to christ's for 2009 entry for maths.

someone told me 1/3 of all those given offers are given easy EE offers. is this true?

im not basing my application to christ's on this fact, just curious....
nathan00
im applying to christ's for 2009 entry for maths.

someone told me 1/3 of all those given offers are given easy EE offers. is this true?

:yep: From http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/reh10/admissions.html:

For exceptionally strong and well prepared candidates the College allocates a third of its places each year, in all subjects, as "Easy Offers" or Matriculation Offers (i.e., just EE at A-level or equivalent). Of course we expect that after receiving their offers such candidates will continue to prepare conscientiously for A-levels, but we welcome the opportunity to ease slightly the burden of examination pressure for the final six months of the Sixth Form. It also means that both the candidate and the College know well in advance that they will be taking up a place the following October, which avoids rushing around with last-minute arrangements once A-level results are published in August. To be eligible for a Matriculation Offer a candidate would need to have a good record of GCSE grades (all or nearly all at A grade) and strong support from their school with predictions of top grades for their A-levels. No special application procedure or extra interviews are involved as all our applicants are considered for such places automatically.
Reply 365
thank you very much.
Reply 366
Does anyone know how often the college includes AEAs as part of a conditional offer?
Reply 367
Flozza_X
Does anyone know how often the college includes AEAs as part of a conditional offer?

If you put down that you're taking one and don't get an EE offer then you'd probably get one included in your regular offer eg. 3 As and Distinction.
In the prospectus it says "Christ's may ask for AEAs in any subject from any applicant". Does this mean that if i am only sitting A Levels, not AEAs as well that I am at a disadvantage to others who will be applying to Christs? Well, that is a silly question, of corse they will look on them more favourably, but is it such a signifcant disadvantage that i should apply for a different college?
Reply 369
It means that if they decide to give you an offer, they may ask you to take an AEA as part of that offer.

You won't be considered any differently at the interview stage for not planning on taking any AEAs.
Reply 370
if they ask for AEAs, then you ARE sitting AEAs.
Reply 371
I'd advise applying to a different college anyway. 3 of my friends received offers from Christs and they were:
3As all at 90+%
3As and a distinction in AEA Physics
EE
So yeah, Christs are a bit silly with their offers, they either go the whole hog or give whats virtually an unconditional.
Not doing an AEA wont really disadvantage you, you might just get the first offer i mentioned :/
Reply 372
kcfch
I'd advise applying to a different college anyway. 3 of my friends received offers from Christs and they were:
3As all at 90+%
EE
So yeah, Christs are a bit silly with their offers, they either go the whole hog or give whats virtually an unconditional.
Not doing an AEA wont really disadvantage you, you might just get the first offer i mentioned :/

how come your advising to apply to another college?? is it because their entry 'requirement' is higher than others? gosh... i might change my mind on christ...:frown:
Reply 373
kcfch
3As all at 90+%
EE

That's crazy. And also quite unfair, because there must be some candidates with really similar grades and interview scores yet one gets an EE offer and the other gets a ridiculous one.
Were any of your friends Natscis? And 90+% in all As?! Never heard that before:eek:
Reply 374
Flozza_X
That's crazy. And also quite unfair, because there must be some candidates with really similar grades and interview scores yet one gets an EE offer and the other gets a ridiculous one.
Were any of your friends Natscis? And 90+% in all As?! Never heard that before:eek:

Indeed it is crazy and unfair :P
No, none of them were natsci, the first offer was to someone doing Modern languages, the second for engineering and the third for medicine. Yeah the 90+% one was really harsh, unfortunately she didnt make it but got accepted into another college anyway.
Reply 375
Jiajun
how come your advising to apply to another college?? is it because their entry 'requirement' is higher than others? gosh... i might change my mind on christ...:frown:

Yes, the fact that they make either crazily high offers or near unconditionals is why I'd advise you to rethink Christs. Another college would easily give you the usual 3As offer which makes life easier for yourself, rather than risking with Christs.
Reply 376
kcfch
Yes, the fact that they make either crazily high offers or near unconditionals is why I'd advise you to rethink Christs. Another college would easily give you the usual 3As offer which makes life easier for yourself, rather than risking with Christs.

well what i meant was the chance of getting in due to their suposed high standard... because they dont do TSA, they rely on the academic records and interview. so, getting low As is pretty bad... compare to other 90+ candidates...so, i feel my chance is reduced alot considering my interview may be average at best...

should i apply to another college that do TSA so i could try redeem myself... if possible??... help anyone?:frown:
Reply 377
kcfch
Indeed it is crazy and unfair :P
No, none of them were natsci, the first offer was to someone doing Modern languages, the second for engineering and the third for medicine. Yeah the 90+% one was really harsh, unfortunately she didnt make it but got accepted into another college anyway.

That's a shame. Very good going to get an offer from Christ's at all though! Where did she go to? Was this by the summer pool?
Reply 378
Jiajun
well what i meant was the chance of getting in due to their suposed high standard... because they dont do TSA, they rely on the academic records and interview. so, getting low As is pretty bad... compare to other 90+ candidates...so, i feel my chance is reduced alot considering my interview may be average at best...

should i apply to another college that do TSA so i could try redeem myself... if possible??... help anyone?:frown:

The TSA can help to make a difference if your module scores are slightly lower than what you had hoped for. However, do not rely on the TSA, many people with high scores in this still get rejected.
High standards are across the board for all colleges, so don't be put off by thinking Christs is particularly high. I personally think that you should go with the college that you will like best, regardless of how easy/hard is it to get into.
Reply 379
Flozza_X
That's a shame. Very good going to get an offer from Christ's at all though! Where did she go to? Was this by the summer pool?

She ended up going to Queens College (in fact, she was happier about that, she wasnt too keen on Christs). And yes, it was through the summer pool, Queens phoned her up a couple of days after results day.

Quick Reply