The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Christ's College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Hi. I'm going to be applying for Natsci most probably at Christ's as it seemd like the nicest college to me. What do people who go there think of it?

Scroll to see replies

A forum search may be able to provide you with some useful info
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 2
Ditting Suck
A forum search may be able to provide you with some useful info

Oh they take so long:p:
Don't go there yet but hopefully ask me in a few months! :p: I really liked it at the open day and when I went for interview. Bio or physical nat sci?
Reply 4
I'm thinking of applying to Christ's as well, and no one on here seems to go there at the moment.
Reply 5
sarahliz12345
Don't go there yet but hopefully ask me in a few months! :p: I really liked it at the open day and when I went for interview. Bio or physical nat sci?

Physical Natsci. Is it possible to do physical natsci with a few biological modules?
Reply 6
suneilr
Physical Natsci. Is it possible to do physical natsci with a few biological modules?

Yeah. You'll apply as either biological or physical but when you start the course you can choose whichever modules you want (provided you've done the right a-levels or whatever).
Reply 7
I go there, if you have questions feel free to PM.
Reply 8
I'm a NatSci at Christ's presently. I like the college, apart from when it can be a little authoritarian at times; people are friendly here, I've found, and I like the central location (and, as a NatSci, it's close to all the science faculties except Physics - well, Chemistry is 10-15mins walk, but that's not bad).

Did you have any particular questions?
Reply 9
Authoritarian? You're conjuring up images of armed soldiers in my mind:redface: What exactly is it authoritarian about? The tutorials are done by the college? What are they like?
Reply 10
Oh, I just mean that the college can be quite keen on regulations, like having to get your computer checked out before connecting it to the network (can take several days), no TVs in rooms, when the JCR are allowed to put events on, and such. But that sounds worse than it is :tongue:

We call tutorials 'supervisions' in Cambridge, and they are organised by your college. I've found nearly all of my supervisors to be nice and helpful, though - my only complaint about one was that he was badly-organised. They mostly go through the recent lectures and set work on them, giving feedback on the last week's work, and most of mine were 2 on 1.
Reply 11
Mithent
Oh, I just mean that the college can be quite keen on regulations, like having to get your computer checked out before connecting it to the network (can take several days), no TVs in rooms, when the JCR are allowed to put events on, and such. But that sounds worse than it is :tongue:

We call tutorials 'supervisions' in Cambridge, and they are organised by your college. I've found nearly all of my supervisors to be nice and helpful, though - my only complaint about one was that he was badly-organised. They mostly go through the recent lectures and set work on them, giving feedback on the last week's work, and most of mine were 2 on 1.

What course are you doing at Cambridge?
Reply 12
bryan
What course are you doing at Cambridge?

I'm a biological NatSci, just finished my first year. I studied Biology of Cells, Chemistry, Evolution & Behaviour and Quantitative Biology.
Reply 13
Mithent

:eek: Really?! That is quite authoritarian! Are there TVs in college? Do people not watch any at all?
Rich_b
:eek: Really?! That is quite authoritarian! Are there TVs in college? Do people not watch any at all?

there's a tv with freeview in the tv room, which mostly gets used for big events like sports matches etc, and things like neighbours at lunchtime. in truth, you won't have time to watch much tv at all. most people I know at other colleges who have tv's don't really watch them that often anyway. When people do watch tv they tend to watch things on dvd etc as most people's computers have dvd drives. :smile:
Reply 15
I suppose yeh - as long as neighbours is available lol!! A lot of tv shows are going online now anyway - I can always watch Paxman on Newsnight online, and that means you don't have to be free at the set times as well. What are other college's policies? Are Christ's different in this rule?
I have an offer from Christ's for October and did NOT know there were no TVs allowed! Cons of offers through the pool, I guess...
Reply 17
Man...no tvs allowed? I didn't know that. I thought I could at least bring a console over. Lol. Hey, any of you guys got any news about accomodation? Or do we not have any say or choice in it at all?
When I went on open day, they said all first years live in the typewriter building except a handful (depending on numbers) who might end up in a house nearby. The girl showing us round said that the typewriter was actually pretty popular as it was very sociable. Hope so!
Reply 19
Can we have a fridge in our rooms?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending