The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Doolally

On a serious note, what was the reason your putting us off there?!

I guess we'll never know! :confused:
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Doolally
Nothing wrong with that!...at least we will be with like-minded people! :p: hehe

Are you going to Bristol then? What course you going there? And what halls you going for? Woah lot of questions.

Hmmm Durdham or Goldney..Durdham or Goldney...

On a serious note, what was the reason your putting us off there?!

I'm only waiting for UCL, but really loved Bristol so probs will go there :biggrin: to do Law, so shoot me now!

In case you didnt know, Doolally- you can definitely only apply to one hall this year, having checked the sample form on the accomodation website :confused: . I'm tempted by almost all of the halls in Bristol... its such a hard decision! I think I'm probably going to go for Durdham; ensuite is very important to me, and I think it looks really friendly. I kind of like Hiatt Baker, even though it is really undersubscribed. I'm not that keen on halls without vacation residence, because of all the hassle of moving all my stuff! But then of course, it is in Stoke Bishop and I'm probably going to get a part-time job so Clifton would be more reliable. So maybe Manor Hall.

Anyways, Goldney: there simply is no reason not to apply. Except this. If the allocation system works in a similar fashion to those used in other database systems those who apply to the MOST competitive are reallocated to the LEAST competitive. What this means is that those applying to Goldney are much much more likely to be reallocated to one of the houses....
Reply 22
tomcoolinguk
I'm only waiting for UCL, but really loved Bristol so probs will go there :biggrin: to do Law, so shoot me now!

In case you didnt know, Doolally- you can definitely only apply to one hall this year, having checked the sample form on the accomodation website :confused: . I'm tempted by almost all of the halls in Bristol... its such a hard decision! I think I'm probably going to go for Durdham; ensuite is very important to me, and I think it looks really friendly. I kind of like Hiatt Baker, even though it is really undersubscribed. I'm not that keen on halls without vacation residence, because of all the hassle of moving all my stuff! But then of course, it is in Stoke Bishop and I'm probably going to get a part-time job so Clifton would be more reliable. So maybe Manor Hall.

Anyways, Goldney: there simply is no reason not to apply. Except this. If the allocation system works in a similar fashion to those used in other database systems those who apply to the MOST competitive are reallocated to the LEAST competitive. What this means is that those applying to Goldney are much much more likely to be reallocated to one of the houses....

Manor looks nice too, but I think it's almost as bad as Goldney, number of apps wise.
Reply 23
tomcoolinguk

Hmm good point. Think it'll be Durdham for me then, dont fancy being in one of the houses! Lol,I bet it will turn out to be really quiet and I'm going to be the mad one rushing around frantically trying to meet people and get them to parttttyyy.
Quite excited about Uni today :biggrin: I want to go now. Damn the bloody AAB grades I need to get.

Ooo and Law? Nice one! Had such a debate as to whether to apply for Law or History. Still don't know if I made the right decision, will probably do a CPE. You're so lucky getting to study in the Wills memorial building!
Reply 24
Doolally
Hmm good point. Think it'll be Durdham for me then, dont fancy being in one of the houses! Lol,I bet it will turn out to be really quiet and I'm going to be the mad one rushing around frantically trying to meet people and get them to parttttyyy.
Quite excited about Uni today :biggrin: I want to go now. Damn the bloody AAB grades I need to get.

I really want to go to uni now, bloody A levels! I have to get AAB too, scary stuff! I'll be gutted if I don't make it :frown:
Reply 25
I've e-mailed a friend asking her if she's prepared to release the application stats from last year. Will keep you all posted on response next week.
Reply 26
Chardonnay
I really want to go to uni now, bloody A levels! I have to get AAB too, scary stuff! I'll be gutted if I don't make it :frown:

Me too, Cardiff (insurance) is really nice and all but I've fallen in love with Bristol and I want to go there so badly. Everything about it looks so perfect!
Reply 27
Doolally
Me too, Cardiff (insurance) is really nice and all but I've fallen in love with Bristol and I want to go there so badly. Everything about it looks so perfect!

Well if we both end up in a really quiet hall, I promise I'll help liven it up with you!
Reply 28
Chardonnay
Well if we both end up in a really quiet hall, I promise I'll help liven it up with you!

Yaayy thank you!:smile:
Doolally

Ooo and Law? Nice one! Had such a debate as to whether to apply for Law or History. Still don't know if I made the right decision, will probably do a CPE. You're so lucky getting to study in the Wills memorial building!

Yeah it is a great building.... but first year lectures are in the Physics and Chem buildings, because the Wills doesn't have any large lecture rooms.

I don't really like the whole house thing which is what is making the choice so hard. That and the fact that, according to the Law Admissions Tutor, the entire process is incredibly random. On a positive note though, all of the students I spoke to were happy with their accomodation. Hiatt Baker, for example, is one of the more undersubscribed residences, but the warden is well known for putting people in good groups.
Reply 30
tomcoolinguk
That and the fact that, according to the Law Admissions Tutor, the entire process is incredibly random.

I really don't like the sound of that...So it's basically a case of deciding whether you want to gamble now. Apply to your second choice to make sure you get a hall you want to go to. Or go for it and apply for more luxurious surroundings, hoping that you don't end up at somewhere you don't really want to go.
Reply 31
Phil_D
I really don't like the sound of that...So it's basically a case of deciding whether you want to gamble now. Apply to your second choice to make sure you get a hall you want to go to. Or go for it and apply for more luxurious surroundings, hoping that you don't end up at somewhere you don't really want to go.

:frown: Seems that way! I'm half tempted to but down a fairly unpopular hall I'd be reasonably happy staying in, than to go to broke with my first choice (Goldney), and end up in a student house!
Reply 32
nothing wrong with goldney! im there :P infact its probably the best hall so :tongue:
Reply 33
ThE_OnE
nothing wrong with goldney! im there :P infact its probably the best hall so :tongue:

Yeah I know, that's why it's my 1st choice! But I don't want to apply because it's so competitive, and I'll get shoved in a student house :frown:
Reply 34
Chardonnay
:frown: Seems that way! I'm half tempted to but down a fairly unpopular hall I'd be reasonably happy staying in, than to go to broke with my first choice (Goldney), and end up in a student house!

I'm thinking in a similar way. I'm so tempted by Wills but so worried i'll end up somewhere naff, somewhere i could easily avoid if i'm more realistic about my chances.

But then again, i might never forgive myself if i didn't even try to get in to Wills.

"If you wish to apply for residence as a student at Wills, please make this clear in your personal statement on the accommodation form. The Warden encourages applications particularly from those who are willing to make a significant contribution to the hall community during their time here."

Ok, so if i wanna get into Wills i'm going to have prove that i am going to get involved and make a 'significant' contribution to the hall community. What are we talking here? Do you have to have been captain of every school sports team? Do you have be the leading member of your local SVP? Do you have to have won the Noble Peace Prize? :rolleyes: Is the warden only looking those types of people that in the past have got involved in their community in absolutely every possible way... because if so... i can just about forget Wills. Is there any room at Wills for lazy, larger swilling alcoholics like myself? :wink:
Reply 35
Phil_D
I'm thinking in a similar way. I'm so tempted by Wills but so worried i'll end up somewhere naff, somewhere i could easily avoid if i'm more realistic about my chances.

But then again, i might never forgive myself if i didn't even try to get in to Wills.

"If you wish to apply for residence as a student at Wills, please make this clear in your personal statement on the accommodation form. The Warden encourages applications particularly from those who are willing to make a significant contribution to the hall community during their time here."

Ok, so if i wanna get into Wills i'm going to have prove that i am going to get involved and make a 'significant' contribution to the hall community. What are we talking here? Do you have to have been captain of every school sports team? Do you have be the leading member of your local SVP? Do you have to have won the Noble Peace Prize? :rolleyes: Is the warden only looking those types of people that in the past have got involved in their community in absolutely every possible way... because if so... i can just about forget Wills.

Exactly. I want to be in Goldney so much, that I feel I have to go for it! How do you show all those qualities though? This personal statement is going to be harder to write than the one that got me into Bristol in the 1st place!
Chardonnay
Exactly. I want to be in Goldney so much, that I feel I have to go for it! How do you show all those qualities though? This personal statement is going to be harder to write than the one that got me into Bristol in the 1st place!

I'm guessing the key thing is to be yourself. Corny, yes. But I think its probably the best way to go about it. Especially because this is used to group people together. This is especially important in the larger halls and the self-catered halls. Be consoled by the following:

1. Almost all Bristol students come love to the hall they are allocated
2. You might think your choice of hall is the most important thing now, but in a few months it will be clear that the people you live with are what will really make your time at Bristol.

A lot of people I've spoken to have said to go for Stoke Bishop, and a lot have also said to go for Clifton halls- the difference is the halls these people are basing their experiences on. Even the houses might not look too appealing, but they aren't beyond liveable.

Personally, I really like the thought that when I get to Bristol in October (all things being well), I will be living near to students who someone with a wealth of experience has felt I would live near to. That, surely must be more important than our own hall (but it is obviously worth going for the best hall as well :p: ).

Everyone needs to chill. Relax.
Reply 37
In general all of this is scary stuff, i'm petrified about applying for accomodation now! :eek: :biggrin:
Reply 38
tomcoolinguk
I'm guessing the key thing is to be yourself. Corny, yes. But I think its probably the best way to go about it. Especially because this is used to group people together. This is especially important in the larger halls and the self-catered halls. Be consoled by the following:

1. Almost all Bristol students come love to the hall they are allocated
2. You might think your choice of hall is the most important thing now, but in a few months it will be clear that the people you live with are what will really make your time at Bristol.

A lot of people I've spoken to have said to go for Stoke Bishop, and a lot have also said to go for Clifton halls- the difference is the halls these people are basing their experiences on. Even the houses might not look too appealing, but they aren't beyond liveable.

Personally, I really like the thought that when I get to Bristol in October (all things being well), I will be living near to students who someone with a wealth of experience has felt I would live near to. That, surely must be more important than our own hall (but it is obviously worth going for the best hall as well :p: ).

Everyone needs to chill. Relax.

That seems like pretty sound advice to me. I'm sure we will be fine wherever we end up... BUT, it would be nice to get into my preferred hall.
Phil_D
That seems like pretty sound advice to me. I'm sure we will be fine wherever we end up... BUT, it would be nice to get into my preferred hall.

Definitely

Its soooo hard to pick..... everything has advantages and disadvantages!

Latest