The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Phone networks in Exeter

Bit of a odd one, not really relevant but anybody living in exeter know which phone networks are good for reception and which aren't? i'm about to renew my phone contract (i'm with 3..and not staying with them) and i dont want to go with a phone company that doesnt have good coverage in exeter.

any ideas?
Reply 1
I've heard 3 are *****, as are Vodafone - if you're in Birks, or plan on living in Birks good luck, you won't get any reception with any of them.

Best I've found personally is T-Mobile. Plus I've never had any signal problems with them anywhere I've been in this country.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
yeah on the open day i had reception up until i got to exeter...the for about 2 minutes on top of cardiac hill then nothing. 3 is truly shiiite.
thanks for your help!
Reply 3
O2 is quite good. Vodafone isn't bad - bit dodgy on various parts of the campus. Orange is bad bad bad. My housemate was in my halls last year and Orange (she still is) and in halls she had to sit on the top landing in a specific place to get signal. She was OK on campus, but if you're the wrong side of a hill/in a valley you're screwed...
Reply 4
02 is reliable, a bit dodgy in parts of Holland though, but not enought to be a real problem.
Reply 5
I've always found Vodafone works fine... T-mobile is dodgy around Holland and the gym area... Orange is terrible though.
Reply 6
Orange and 3 are big no's - can't get reception anywhere.
From my experience t-mobile and O2 are the best.
O2 is good. I've never found myself without signal anywhere in Exeter....except in the Waterfront Restaurant on the Quay, but then we were pretty much in a tunnel :biggrin:
Reply 8
Physics has random no-signal for O2. Mainly on the stairs between ground floor and 1st floor (orange stairs, not blue). I've found 3 steps with no signal, but the stair either side have full signal =P
I've never had reason to go into the Physics building so I wouldn't know....
To be fair, every phone network is going to have some poor signal areas. None of them are perfect. Its just some are way better than others.
Reply 10
lmcorr
I've heard 3 are *****, as are Vodafone - if you're in Birks, or plan on living in Birks good luck, you won't get any reception with any of them.

Best I've found personally is T-Mobile. Plus I've never had any signal problems with them anywhere I've been in this country.

in Birks at least in E block you can get reception with O2

i was with Orange but it was pathetic

i'm with O2 now and can get reception pretty much everywhere :yep:
Reply 11
My T-Mobile reception is good in most places, my Orange work-phone reception a bit less so, especially at Birks.
Reply 12
oh right...thats a bit annoying i was going to go with orange with my next contract cuz theres a good deal....well i guess i'll try t mob or O2 then!

thanks!
Reply 13
CocoBean
02 is reliable, a bit dodgy in parts of Holland though, but not enought to be a real problem.

how dodgy?! because i need to get myself an english phone and am applying with holland as my first choice so.... :smile:
Reply 14
As I said its not a problem enough for me to consider switching networks, just sometimes the line can be a little bad depedning where you are in the builiding. I know that Orange has a few problems as well, so its the building/location as opposed to the network. Should be fine! :smile:
I was with O2 & it was brill - you could even get signal downstairs in the library. Don't remember it being dodgy in Holland, compared with my friends on Orange, I always seemed to have signal. As the others have said Orange isn't great at all - my boyfriend was in Cook & I could never get hold of him unless he left his phone in just the right place in his kitchen!
I'm now on 3 & it's probably in between the 2. Never had a problem with it, but it can drift out in random areas.
Reply 16
How about St lukes - does O2 have good signal there? As I'm gonna be staying in college house and I'm about to get an O2 contract phone.
Reply 17
I can't remember ever having any phone reception issues around St Luke's - perhaps because there are less bits of hill in the way there! I'm not sure about O2 but I doubt it'd be a problem.

Latest

Trending

Trending