The Student Room Group

A* English Lang?

Hey my fellow forumers (if that's a word, please don't penalise me if it's not beacuse of the thread title lol). I was just wondering if it is possible to get an A* for English Language if I only have an A in the coursework folder. I have an A* for my literature coursework folder so I'm not too concerned about that at the minute, however I was just wondering if it is possible to get my language to that level too in the exams.

Any help and suggestions are appreciated. I have an A* for all of my Speaking & Listenings and I'm doing the Edexcel course if it helps.

Thanks a lot
icetopaz

Scroll to see replies

The written coursework is only worth 20% for English language, so if that's an A, your speaking and listening is an A* and you get A*s in the exams, you should get an A* overall. I got an A for my written coursework, a B for my speaking and listening and I think As in the exams, and I got an A. English language is an awkward one to revise for as it's more about exam technique. When I did it last year, there were some book by CGP on writing style etc that were really helpful, so look out for them in WH Smith's.
Reply 2
It shouldn't affect your chances too much, but I have a weird feeling that it's very hard to get an A* in lang - only 10 or less people from my school got A*s last year, which makes me worry....
Reply 3
I remember for my GCSE english language I spent ages working on this story to write in my exam. I then memorised it and 'fitted it' towards the topic given in the creative writing part of the paper on the day....

The cocky guide for A* success :wink:
Reply 4
Thanks for the reassurance lol
timeofyourlife
I remember for my GCSE english language I spent ages working on this story to write in my exam. I then memorised it and 'fitted it' towards the topic given in the creative writing part of the paper on the day....

The cocky guide for A* success :wink:

I didn't even finish my story in my igcse (well, more or less really, since I went over the word limit so it can be considered complete, but it was cut off half way through a paragraph) :frown:
didn't really matter in the end though :biggrin:
Reply 6
I think the teacher makes a hell of a lot of difference with English. I remember in Year 10 I was averaging Bs in coursework but we had this amazing teacher swap with her in Year 11 and she seemed to boost all of the class up by about 2 grades!
Reply 7
You'll be fine. But having an A* would be better. You really have to ask WHY you have the As: is that because of a lack of skill (in which case getting back up there is unlikely) or was it bad luck, or some other good reason?
Reply 8
2 5 +
You'll be fine. But having an A* would be better. You really have to ask WHY you have the As: is that because of a lack of skill (in which case getting back up there is unlikely) or was it bad luck, or some other good reason?

It was just because of one bad coursework which I got a B then it was too late to redo it so my teacher would not let me
Reply 9
If some one gets 1 B, 1 E, 3 C's so far in the english coursework. What will their coursework grade be, a C or D? 2 more coursework to do by the way for that person.
Reply 10
trev
If some one gets 1 B, 1 E, 3 C's so far in the english coursework. What will their coursework grade be, a C or D? 2 more coursework to do by the way for that person.

I think it would come down to the raw marks they got for each piece of coursework. Not all coursework carries the same weighting.

As for the orignal poster, it's definately possible.

The grade boundaries are so bloody high for English GCSE though!

My 78/100 in the Pride and Prejudice unit was only a B! And 80/90 was an A in one unit so the A* boundary must have been 90%!
Reply 11
My best advice would be to just relax. :smile: You can't change your coursework grades now, so try and stop worrying about them. Just make sure in the run up to the exam you prepare yourself for it well in order for you to achieve the grade you want. It's a much more productive use of time :wink:

btw for my coursework for English Lang I averaged about an average B (my teacher was a harsh marker so I decided to redo (as in do completely different essays) the night before the deadline was and did the last one in an hour and a half and didn't put any quotes in :rolleyes: ). I still ended up with an A* in the end. TBH don't put so much emphasis on the A*s and get wound up, it's really not worth it! Just relax! :smile:
Reply 12
LH
I think it would come down to the raw marks they got for each piece of coursework. Not all coursework carries the same weighting.

As for the orignal poster, it's definately possible.

The grade boundaries are so bloody high for English GCSE though!

My 78/100 in the Pride and Prejudice unit was only a B! And 80/90 was an A in one unit so the A* boundary must have been 90%!

I will tell them that. However, I remember when I did mine, each coursework is 5%. That means the coursework is 40% (speaking & listening and the writing coursework) while the exam is worth 60%.
Reply 13
trev
I will tell them that. However, I remember when I did mine, each coursework is 5%. That means the coursework is 40% (speaking & listening and the writing coursework) while the exam is worth 60%.

It depends on the exam board. I think the cousework I did carried different weightings but I'm not sure.
Reply 14
LH
It depends on the exam board. I think the cousework I did carried different weightings but I'm not sure.

My friend in year 11 is following the AQA spec. Each coursework (4 pieces) is worth 5% and the 3 speaking coursework is worth 20%. Therefore it's 40% of the grade. 60% is the exam. So I guess if my friend will get a low C or a D if he doesn't do well in the last speaking coursework and written coursework. His coursework grades so far are: 1 B, 4 C's.
Reply 15
I'm 99.9% sure you can still get an A* when your coursework is an A, providing you do very well in the actual exam. :smile:
I got A* in English Language, and in Literature too.

Basically with an A from coursework, you can get an A* if come up with the goods in the exams. It makes it harder but just write like hell and try to be more articulate that's all I can say :biggrin:

:thrasher:
I got terrible marks in all of my coursework (like, C's and D's) because I just couldn't be bothered, but still managed to get A's for english lang and lit.
LH
so the A* boundary must have been 90%!

Yeah, it was. I got A*s on one language paper and one literature paper, and both were 90/90 :biggrin: I only got As overall though as my coursework grades were As and I got As in the other papers.
Reply 19
Ergh, I wish I had all A*s for my speaking and listenings. My best mark to date is an A-, and I have 2 to go, some hopefully if I got an A* in both of those, I should have a better chance of getting an A* in the exam (am predicted it, coursework - A*). Oh, in the exam, when say a question is worth 10 marks, make sure you make 10 points, and try and do a mark a minute (e.g a 10 mark question takes 10 minutes), so you don't run out of time. And don't do want I did in the mock, start answering the question about the wrong article, and only realise 10 mins later!! Good luck!

Latest