The Student Room Group
University of York
York

York Law ..... is it worth it ??

Hi

So i applied and got accpeted for 09 law at York and was over the moon and adamant on firming etc . Especially after the nice letter from the head of the law school telling me i was "well suited " and an exceptional candidate . However as times gone by since november i've started to worry about a few things
Firstly as a new law school .. The lack of links /credibilty in the Law world ... is anyone going to want 2 employ someone with a degree from York ??
Secondly the layout of the course .. What if it just doesn't work ?
Thirdly first time i visted York was on my interview day as i chose it purely based on the course and i didn't get the feeling i was expecting maybe it was interview nerves but i just wasn't THAT taken with the place

I mean i love the idea of the type of course and the way it works etc .... but after talking 2 current first year undergrads elsewhere i'm thinking its a risk ... which may result in me having a worthless degree or dropping out cos i didn't like the atmosphere of the univesity . I 'm starting to think ive hyped York up in my brain based on the course and that in reality i 'm not sure . Cos i can't helping thinking if i dnt go i'll spend forever thinking what if .... especially if the course is a major success like is predicted
Can anyone help ?????????????????????????????????????:eek3:
Reply 1
I think if you're in the top 5% of your class, any law degree you get will flood you with job offers, regardless of where you earn it.
University of York
York
Reply 2
I would like to know about the first two as well but for the third maybe you should try visiting it again and then see if you like it. Then I suppose you could make a decision from there.

Besides you haven't heard from Warwick yet so there's no need to rush into firming it. Also if you search, there's a thread similar to your concerns in the first two points you've made, I'll see if I can find it for you.
Reply 3
sleekchic
I would like to know about the first two as well but for the third maybe you should try visiting it again and then see if you like it. Then I suppose you could make a decision from there.

Besides you haven't heard from Warwick yet so there's no need to rush into firming it. Also if you search, there's a thread similar to your concerns in the first two points you've made, I'll see if I can find it for you.

Warwick i'm not really holding my breath for seeing as most offers have gone out . Its difficult to visit as its a 12hr round trip and with a levels etc i dnt really want to take any unnecessary time off . Can i take that as to mean you've applied tooo or am i misereading this ??
Reply 4
FloraXoX
Warwick i'm not really holding my breath for seeing as most offers have gone out . Its difficult to visit as its a 12hr round trip and with a levels etc i dnt really want to take any unnecessary time off . Can i take that as to mean you've applied tooo or am i misereading this ??

I did apply for Law this year but not too York although I'm trying to decide if I should apply there if I take a gap year but I'm also worried about it being new.

This is just one of the many threads on Law at York. Try searching York Law and you should find something.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=10486342&highlight=York+law#post10486342

Most Warwick offers have not gone out yet. I looked at the Law offers list for last year and some people didn't get an offer from Warwick until April/May.

I already got my Warwick rejection which I was expecting and I think you should wait till you hear from Warwick.
I've also got an offer from York and am having the same concerns with regards to employability etc (I'm glad I'm not the only one).

On interview day I really was taken with the place, and love the idea of the course - its just the worry over prospects that concerns me. I can see myself firming it, but we'll have to wait and see...
Reply 6
he lack of links /credibilty in the Law world ... is anyone going to want 2 employ someone with a degree from York ??

I'm in my final year at York, non-law but applying for vacation schemes with a view to doing the GDL conversion. One thing you should take into account is York's overall reputation. It has been a top 10 uni for years and is particularly strong in subjects that firms seem to like such as history, politics and english. Consequently, the law fair attracts Magic Circle plus lots of other top 20 firms, Cleary, Shearman and regionals.

Since the course has set out to recruit at the AAA level and hand picks candidates at interview, I think York's reputation as a source of good trainees can only improve.

Of the other unis on your list, only Warwick has arguably a stronger reputation. Leicester is good for law but much less prestigious than York overall.

At the end of the day, uni standing is only one factor and some people argue that firms make little differentiation between top 30 unis outside of Oxbridge. More important will be your degree result (at least consistent 2.1 grades from first year onwards), extracurricular activities and work experience.

Good luck
Reply 7
I really wouldn't worry about it. No doubt in a few years it'll be topping the tables. York's a bloody good uni and its reputation is great. It won't let itself be rubbish and you'll be being taught by people who have taught law for years, remember. I'd get in while it's a lot easier to.
Reply 8
York has a very high recruitment rate into law from other degrees as well as law, so you don't have to worry about your degree being worthless. It's still a university of York degree at the end of the day, and that's currency.
Secondly, they're asking for AAA. They're getting some of the best students in before they've even started turning into real people. People will be aware of this when they're scrutinising CVs.
Thirdly, the course has been in development for many years now. They've spent a long time recruiting people, researching academic law etc and it's unlikely to all fall apart now.
Finally though, if you're not happy about York itself, go and give it another look. I bonded with York so strongly that I didn't even mind getting a rejection from Cambridge as it meant that I was able to go there. Other people don't get that immediate feeling and it takes time to get to know the place. Once you're there though, York is an incredibly welcoming place. Your college becomes your immediate family and then you have that security from which to branch out and meet new people. It's a very small university in comparison to others and there are many opportunities to really make your mark on the university and stand out.
The only downside is that you'll be competing for space in the library with the History students! I recommend the Raymond Burton library for such occasions!
Reply 9
I chose york over warwick last year for law. You'll stand out more if you do well at york than if you do well at warwick (plus i think, depending on how you learn, its harder to do exceptionally well at warwick).
-Ian-
I chose york over warwick last year for law. You'll stand out more if you do well at york than if you do well at warwick (plus i think, depending on how you learn, its harder to do exceptionally well at warwick).

How come?
Reply 11
Warwick is a bigger law school (in terms of numbers) and being a more traditional course there are less contact hours so less opportunity to show off your knowledge! If like me you require plenty of face-to-face personal feedback to feel motivated then I think plenty of contact hours (especially in the form of seminars) are important.

I'm sure a student from Warwick would have plenty of reasons why I'm completely wrong.

EDIT: P.S. well done FloraXoX on getting an offer from Warwick!

Latest

Trending

Trending