The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Would it be better if medicine was graduate entry only?
Reply 21
£20-25k just for the kids? That's what most people's parents earn in total....

If you take a medical wage as £100,000/year, that means you're earning at least five times more than most of your patients. After that, its up to you whether you want to play at being properly rich (Which you aren't) or just accept that you're never going to have to worry about putting food on the table or a roof over your head ever again and that you can probably get yourself a new phone/car/iPod/holiday as and when you feel the need. Which to me is a pretty comfortable and well-off kind of existence.
biolojee

I personally don't think so, I think the cost issue would drive quite a few good applicants away
AEH
£20-25k just for the kids? That's what most people's parents earn in total....

If you take a medical wage as £100,000/year, that means you're earning at least five times more than most of your patients. After that, its up to you whether you want to play at being properly rich (Which you aren't) or just accept that you're never going to have to worry about putting food on the table or a roof over your head ever again and that you can probably get yourself a new phone/car/iPod/holiday as and when you feel the need. Which to me is a pretty comfortable and well-off kind of existence.

At 100k it starts to get possible to squeeze ones kids through, however the current reckoning among the family in medicine is that in todays terms we will never earn much over 60k unless we do a ton of private work.

I get what you mean about the comfortable existence, I appreciate that side of it. I don't however think its a suitable point to aim for on the scale.
Theres a reason why NHS workers are the highest workforce to suffer with depression
Reply 25
i love it.
i like to complain about it, and how much work there is and how hard the work is and everything else but there is absolutely nothing else i would do.!!
Reply 26
apatel90
i love it.
i like to complain about it, and how much work there is and how hard the work is and everything else but there is absolutely nothing else i would do.!!

Afternoon, haven't seen you around, welcome to the happy family :woo:
Reply 27
terpineol
At 100k it starts to get possible to squeeze ones kids through, however the current reckoning among the family in medicine is that in todays terms we will never earn much over 60k unless we do a ton of private work.

I get what you mean about the comfortable existence, I appreciate that side of it. I don't however think its a suitable point to aim for on the scale.

There are generally two people funding kids through private school, if that's the route you want to go down...

I'm certainly going to be happy with the money I get - my starting salary is (I think) going to be more than either of my parents have ever earned individually (in absolute if not relative terms) and I'm much more secure than a lot of other grads leaving this year.

To answer the original question, yes, I do like it most of the time, but it does have its tedious repetitive, "is this is?" moments. Still wouldn't have chosen anything else.
I'm only a lickle first year, but already I wouldn't swap this for anything. In fact it makes my blood boil when there are people on my course who can't be arsed to show up and fail all their exams and just don't care. We all get in by saying that we are passionate about medicine. Shame that passion is largely faked for interviewers....
Ba da ba ba ba...I'm loving it.

:cool:
Reply 30
Expectation - Reality [proportional to] Voiced Dissatisfaction

Trust me, the reality isn't as bad as it is in many many many other jobs.
Reply 31
terpineol
I think perhaps we put different numbers on things.

To get the education I got on the state would cost about 20k a year per kid in pretty much 95% of the country. With little control over where you end up for a job it would be foolish to pursue a career in which you couldn't afford to pay that. In my reckoning at least.

Really though I think a lot comes down to how much you think one should be able to provide for ones children. I would want to be able to budget on 20-25k a year in school fees, and as they got older another few grand for whatever may come up, and UCAS sprucing activities.

Naturally this is not perhaps the fairest line to take in an overall community sense, but its still bloody hard to pull off on a medical wage for three or so kids.

Can't you go into Medical Law? Maybe make moolah there?
Totally sick of it. I was really ill last year and no doctor was able to help me, and I don't want to spend my life feeling inadequate like that. I believe we should have the career that makes us happiest and I now realise that medicine is never going to make me happy. Medicine is the right decision for the great majority of medical students, just not for me anymore.

Day to day it's ok, but not particularly stimulating, there's not nearly the level of analysis and discussion of research and new developments that I've found this year, and so it can get a bit tedious at times. I need to use my brain day to day, and medicine doesn't really offer a whole lot beyond memorizing data (and the social/emotional aspects, of course).
Reply 33
I love it. There are difficulties and bits that I don't enjoy as much, but you will find that is the case with most courses.

However in general I really enjoy it and I can't imagine myself doing anything else.
Reply 34
:ditto:

some days i wonder why i'm doing it, but again i'm sure people on other courses feel the same way sometimes

I'm doing it because i love it, I've been under a lot of pressure to leave the course as a result of my health problems - the easy option would have been to leave but i've stayed and fought for it
Reply 35
Hygeia
:ditto:

some days i wonder why i'm doing it, but again i'm sure people on other courses feel the same way sometimes

I'm doing it because i love it, I've been under a lot of pressure to leave the course as a result of my health problems - the easy option would have been to leave but i've stayed and fought for it

good on you...stay strong =)
biolojee

I think so for two reasons:

1) On a PBL based course you will have the students all with basic scientific principles under their belt, therefore reducing the risk that either a poor PBL session or poor teaching will leave you behind.

2) People will take the course more seriously and act more maturely as their initial uni troubles and booze ups will have been done a few years ago.
Reply 37
space_aura
1) On a PBL based course you will have the students all with basic scientific principles under their belt, therefore reducing the risk that either a poor PBL session or poor teaching will leave you behind.

2) People will take the course more seriously and act more maturely as their initial uni troubles and booze ups will have been done a few years ago.
In my experience, that's not necessarily true. And, if it was, it would be essentially the death of most medical schools culture and society.
Reply 38
Wangers
Afternoon, haven't seen you around, welcome to the happy family :woo:

lol happy it is indeed!! :biggrin:
Renal
, it would be essentially the death of most medical schools culture and society.

what does that mean? :s

Latest

Trending

Trending