The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

It's seems the NHS is always in crisis (or so people are prepared to say) in one way or another, and yet it keeps limping on.

I think the only way it would dramatically improve would be by a complete overhaul of the current system, and that's something no Government would want to undertake.
jonnyofengland
It's seems the NHS is always in crisis (or so people are prepared to say) in one way or another, and yet it keeps limping on.

I think the only way it would dramatically improve would be by a complete overhaul of the current system, and that's something no Government would want to undertake.

Agree there. There is normally atleast one, Nice doesnt fund this drug/NHS in debt/etc story a week which can get very annoying
Reply 22
I really don't think it is all that bad. However I think there are a lot or problems and areas that definately need improving. I don't think it's at crisis as I'm sure the NHS will just keep on going.

I'd imagine it will keep on improving but maybe I'm being too optimistic?
Reply 23
trektor
I really don't think it is all that bad. However I think there are a lot or problems and areas that definately need improving. I don't think it's at crisis as I'm sure the NHS will just keep on going.

I'd imagine it will keep on improving but maybe I'm being too optimistic?

What problems would you say there were...yeah the lack of funding, bed shortages and inequalities..but what else ?
Reply 24
andybrandy
What problems would you say there were...yeah the lack of funding, bed shortages and inequalities..but what else ?

MRSA/C-diff for one.
Reply 25
andybrandy
The punters are getting worse.
it's because it is free, people abuse it.
Reply 27
It's really not that bad, I had to go in for 3 days to have surgery last month and the care given was very good, all the nurses made sure everyone was alright and had everything they needed/wanted.

the hospital didn't seem over run or anything, it was really clean and there were those dry soap dispenser things everywhere for every body to use.
RJFarmer
It's really not that bad, I had to go in for 3 days to have surgery last month and the care given was very good, all the nurses made sure everyone was alright and had everything they needed/wanted.

the hospital didn't seem over run or anything, it was really clean and there were those dry soap dispenser things everywhere for every body to use.

Aren't the alcohol based hand rubs ineffective against C Diff though? :unsure:
Democracy
Aren't the alcohol based hand rubs ineffective against C Diff though? :unsure:

This would indicate that they aren't, soap and water should also be used :dontknow:
anna_spanner89
I think the NHS has dramatically improved since labour came in..i mean, i wouldn't have got my place right now if it wasn't for them, plus there is greater funding, loads new healthcare centres, walk-ins..wings..loads of new developments have taken place since 1997, and its brilliant- speaking to my lecturers, they agreee...the funding is brilliant, and so much better than the tory days, especially for nurses. for example a long time ago, patients who came into hospital had to supply their own toothbrushes, wash clothes etc if staying- now the nhs provides them if not possible, just a small increase.

It has improved from the tory days, it's noticable..its improved as medical science has improved with it. Will it get better? who knows..it could go either way, i'm totally against privitisation..and it seems to become more and more common now

yes, if theres one thing nu labour has chucked money at its the noctors.
anna_spanner89
I think the NHS has dramatically improved since labour came in..i mean, i wouldn't have got my place right now if it wasn't for them, plus there is greater funding, loads new healthcare centres, walk-ins..wings..loads of new developments have taken place since 1997, and its brilliant- speaking to my lecturers, they agreee...the funding is brilliant, and so much better than the tory days, especially for nurses. for example a long time ago, patients who came into hospital had to supply their own toothbrushes, wash clothes etc if staying- now the nhs provides them if not possible, just a small increase.

It has improved from the tory days, it's noticable..its improved as medical science has improved with it. Will it get better? who knows..it could go either way, i'm totally against privitisation..and it seems to become more and more common now

Really? NHS National Program for IT has been totally mismanaged leading to obscene costs, and the contracting of GP's surgery's to foreign health companies hasn't gone down too well with the patients either (no doubt due to the health company's cutting services). Plus why did the DoH go for cevarix instead of gardasil (which protects against cervical cancer as well as genital warts)...cost saving excuses here which could have been avoided if there was better management in different areas?
Alex L
This would indicate that they aren't, soap and water should also be used :dontknow:

It isn't effective and therefore hand decontamination with soap and water should be used.

...you can tell that has been drilled into my head...
see, at my hospital, they seem well run, staff seem happy, and theres construction going on. I know from work (tescos) and volunteering, and through my dad at the gym, this bigwig in the hospital (everybody knows everybody here haha) and he says its not half as bad as some places in the UK. but thats because the hospital is a foundation trust and have greater control over money/finances. and some people do argue independence verges towards 'private healthcare', but its still fundamentally NHS - providing free of charge care at point of need (or whatever the actual saying is).

While there may be a 'crisis' in some places, I think (and bear in mind this is no expert opinion, nor daily mail readers opinion for that matter) but in areas there are fairly strong foundations. if there was more independence from nhs trusts, maybe things could be helped/improved upon.

Latest