The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
^I fail to see the relevance of that question.

I can see PeeWeeDan's point, and I don't think UN intervention will either happen or, in the hypothetical situation that it did, have a positive impact (although I would argue his questioning their impartiality).

As I stated in previous posts, the immediate problem is that we have two (or more, depending on how you look at it) factions with claims that invalidate the claim of the other. Regardless of strong biases running rampant on either side, a pragmatic solution will require both sides, not one, to simultaneously offer up concessions and honour them. things as they are, this will not happen.
Gez6
How come? (sorry dont know much about lebanon)

Israel preferred the Christian militias as their buffer, and I don't think the UN could've (or were mandated to) to actually shoot unless they were fired upon (I have to check that up), so that was pretty pointless, along with the fact the French and the Americans couldn't keep peacekeepers there and had to abort their mission early as well (if they couldn't do it what is gonna make the UN to succeed), so in essence what you had was Hizbollah fighting against Israel in their S. Lebanon occupation zone, with the UN in the middle unable to stop either side doing anything.
Reply 82
PeeWeeDan
Because the UN has a bad record on impartiality. In Lebanon UN "Peacekeeping forces" actively allowed Hezbollah to amass rockets, and provide a shield for Hezbollah. When a rocket inevitably fires at Israel from the Palestinian territories Israel would have it's hands tied in terms of responding. It would essentially be open hunting season for the Palestinians - every Jew is 10 points.

you mean they have a good record of impartiality, which is bad for Israel?

Israel needs a force that is active and the UN can't do that.

Israel needs to stop selling fertilisers to palestinians lol, all of gazas rockets are made from israelie fertilisers and scafolding.
Reply 83
Bateman
you mean they have a good record of impartiality, which is bad for Israel?

Yeah I hear Richard Falk is awesome. And I suggest you read it in context of which Dan is talking and refute the incidents he gave, instead toeing the family line with rhetoric.

Bateman

Israel needs to stop selling fertilisers to palestinians lol, all of gazas rockets are made from israelie fertilisers and scafolding.

And if they stopped? Give the farmers the fertiliser! God forbid they should use anything else..
PeeWeeDan
You do that. I'm not 100% sure on the demographics of 7th century Palestine, so you might be right... but all Arabs being descendant from Ishmael? I somehow doubt it.

Okay PeeWee, from the works of Josephus, the Jewish Historian who lived 35 AD - unknown (long before 7th AD). His book 'Antiquities of the Jews', 12:2;

'...And they circumcised him (Isaac) upon the eighth day and from that time the Jews continue the custom of circumcising their sons within that number of days. But as for the Arabians, they circumcise after the thirteenth year, because Ismael, the founder of their nation, who was born to Abraham of the concubine, was circumcised at that age; concerning whom I will presently give a particular account, with great exactness...'

And from 12:4;

'...When the lad was grown up, he married a wife, by birth an Egyptian, from whence the mother was herself derived originally. Of this wife were born to Ismael twelve sons; Nabaioth, Kedar, Abdeel, Mabsam, Idumas, Masmaos, Masaos, Chodad, Theman, Jetur, Naphesus, Cadmas. These inhabited all the country from Euphrates to the Red Sea, and called it Nabatene. They are an Arabian nation, and name their tribes from these, both because of their own virtue, and because of the dignity of Abraham their father...'

I've got evidence that the Greek Historian Herodotus (who lived in 400 BC) mentions the Arab people and their citizenship in Canaan (modern day Palestine). Ask me if you want it. :wink:

See, these are experts in their respective fields. They are not propagandists, neither conspirators and they have no political agenda (i.e. Zionism :rolleyes: ). They lived in the age of which they write about. Surely, their works rank the highest in credibility!?!

Latest

Trending

Trending