The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What are your opinions on studying medicine there?

You should count yourself very lucky basically.
Reply 2
Can you source this report? I'd like to have a looksies...
Reply 3
speaking from a non-medical applicant or medical applicant hirer point of view, shouldn't you be ******** yourself with happiness that you even got a place to do medicine?
:shrug:
Reply 4
Noémie
speaking from a non-medical applicant or medical applicant hirer point of view, shouldn't you be ******** yourself with happiness that you even got a place to do medicine?
:shrug:

:five:
Reply 5
Alex L

Ditto

On NMM sometime last year I found an old paper talking about MTAS for which dundee were coming lowest.

The OP should however note that it takes a few years for these results to be formed, and courses tend to have drastic overhauls every few years, drastically changing the future rankings on the same types of papers.

For instance the paper I found on NMM regarding dundee and the MTAS is of no relevance now, as they are teaching an almost completely different course, with completely different facilities, etc

I think the most important thing for the OP to consider is does he have any other offers?
Reply 6
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=2596701

That at least suggests that providing you are white and first language english you have an advantage.

(why does that just make me think I can take things easier?)
Reply 7
http://www.biomedcentral.com/1741-7015/6/5

Thats the one I was looking for (I think).

May make interesting reading to the OP.

Bear in mind how old the data is though, it may not necessarily translate as an accurate predictor if you are starting medical school next year.
Reply 8
terpineol
For instance the paper I found on NMM regarding dundee and the MTAS is of no relevance now, as they are teaching an almost completely different course, with completely different facilities, etc
Why would changing the curriculum improve a cohort's MTAS scores? Did they put creative writing lectures in?
Reply 9
Renal
Why would changing the curriculum improve a cohort's MTAS scores? Did they put creative writing lectures in?

I'm fairly certain that is the point of our ethics questions.

"Were Peter rabbit to consider the consequentialist implications of eating the carrot he would have been most disturbed..."
It depends largely on whether you think PBL is for you or not. For some PBL could be perfect, but for another it could be their worst nightmare. That said, I don't think that most students have had enough exposure to PBL type learning in order to make an informed decision about whether it would work for them or not. At school we pretty much get spoon fed (in comparison to university anyway) so most people may be apprehensive about PBL.
I think there's a much larger difference based on the student than on the Medical school they go to. If you're prepared to put in the work wherever you go then nowhere's going to be that much of a disadvantage.
Reply 12
Alex L

yup, its the one given by Terpineol
http://www.biomedcentral.com/1741-7015/6/5
Reply 13
hmm I see your point about the student mattering more than the school...was wondering, when you apply for your foundation year posts, does it matter which uni you come from? do people mostly stay in the region of the uni or does it have nothing to do with the uni? :hmmmm2:
Jebsanz
hmm I see your point about the student mattering more than the school...was wondering, when you apply for your foundation year posts, does it matter which uni you come from? do people mostly stay in the region of the uni or does it have nothing to do with the uni? :hmmmm2:

When you apply for foundation year posts the selectors see your application blind of the Medical School you attended. So how you did is much more important than where you came from.
Reply 15
piece_by_piece
but for another it could be their worst nightmare.
Surely then they're better off not doing medicine at all...
Renal
Surely then they're better off not doing medicine at all...

What makes you say that?
Reply 17
piece_by_piece
What makes you say that?
Why do you think the GMC thought PBL would be a good way to teach preclinical medical students?
Renal
Why do you think the GMC thought PBL would be a good way to teach preclinical medical students?

Because it encourages independent learning and prepares you for what medicine will really be like? That includes team work, communication skills and co-operation with colleagues, to name a few.
Renal

I think its an invaluable tool in making the course as tedious and convoluted as possible in order to dissuade people from carrying on, reducing over time the competitive nature of entry to medical school, hence reducing the associated prestige etc, as so helping the progressive proleification of the profession so to speak.

A model like the russian healthcare system here we come.

Admittedly that is quite possibly me at my most twisted and cynical. I have reached a new level of bitterness.

EDIT: I'm a lecture man through and through, I can understand how some people like PBL though. For me however it holds the attraction of ten rounds with mike tyson while smoking my own toenails.

Latest

Trending

Trending