The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Dont tell me people are stupid enough to apply without a first class honours....LOL
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 21
actually...on second thoughts...maybe you are right.....people ARE dum enough to apply with a 2.1 degree.
Admission has multiple dimensions. A first class honours dimension is trumped by better scores in other dimensions like:
1) An applicant with a 2.1 BSc plus an MSc
2) An applicant with a 2.1 BSc from a top 5 university in a quantitative subject plus good work experience in the the financial services industry.
Reply 23
Last year all candidates accepted to the course had achieved a 1st class degree at undergraduate level! So I don't see them looking for many dimensions in this case!
And the year before? one year sample a trend doesn't make.
Reply 25
http://www.jbs.cam.ac.uk/programmes/mphil_finance/students.html

Have a look at the info!

Good luck to you all!
Reply 26
For:

1) A 2.1 Bsc plus Msc wont get you anywhere if you dont get a distinction for Msc
2) Yes, this could be true.. But, given that the work experience is good, why would I want to leave the job to do an MPhil???? Its pointless really.....
Reply 27
I believe that by work experience he means maybe one or two really good internships in the financial services industry. The MPhil in Finance is a pre-experience programme right?
misbbe: Agree that you will need a distinction in your MSc if you only have a 2.1 in your BSc
Kill: In this environment there are candidates that were laid off after one year of work in an IB and don't have a first. Their experience give them an edge.

peace
Reply 29
Jeez, any news, anyone?

I got a 3.85 / 4.00 from a U.S college ( SUNY Buffalo), and a 710 for GMAT with relevant IB internships.

I dont think i'm the only person who has to reply other schools and their earliest reply date at the end of March is cutting it close.

I applied in mid-late Jan and still looking at an 'applicant' status on Camsis (could be worse and be a 'declined')

How is everyone hanging in there? Where are alternate choices for you folks?
Reply 30
i've got inside news that LSE's waiting list for MSc Finance is over 100
Reply 31
MLSBBE: I got rejected from Mphil Finance Cam and I have high hopes on my MSc Finance application at LSE. How do you know the waitlist is over 100 when the programme hasn't even closed for application yet? I mean the status is still "open"...
Reply 32
mlsbbe
i've got inside news that LSE's waiting list for MSc Finance is over 100

I got rejected from Mphil Finance Cam and I have high hopes on my MSc Finance application at LSE. How do you know the waitlist is over 100 when the programme hasn't even closed for application yet? I mean the status is still "open"...
Reply 33
one of my friends knows the admission officers from LSE...
...i dont know why its still open..
Either they forgot to update or a i'm guessing a large number of applicants have been / or are working in the finance industry right now. LSE likes to admit people with "work experience".
Reply 34
which is kind of unfair if you think about it.....no matter how good you are..how hard you have worked in your past three years.......you cant beat anybody with "work experience"......

its probably a good thing that cambridge does not allow people with more than one years of work experience into their MPhil course......

how can guys like us who are really good academically but with no work experience (not counting internships), compete with them????
Just read the calculation on the first page. Did/do you work at a rating agency?
absolute
I got rejected from Mphil Finance Cam and I have high hopes on my MSc Finance application at LSE. How do you know the waitlist is over 100 when the programme hasn't even closed for application yet? I mean the status is still "open"...

I was on the waitlist for LSE MSc Finance, accepted now!
Reply 37
congrats...

pls share your profile=)
Reply 38
Got this today guys:

"I am writing to let you know that Judge Business School has recommended to the University's Board of Graduate Studies that you be offered a place (subject to various standard conditions) on the Finance M.Phil. Programme 2009. " :smile:
Reply 39
Frisch
Got this today guys:

"I am writing to let you know that Judge Business School has recommended to the University's Board of Graduate Studies that you be offered a place (subject to various standard conditions) on the Finance M.Phil. Programme 2009. " :smile:

what are your stats??

Latest

Trending

Trending