The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Damn, I wish I did AQA instead of Edexcel- I'm not too fond of poetry. We have to do 4 sections of the anthology for AS and 5 for A2![QUOTE]

hehe! I'd like to do a bit of poetry - but I'd like to be able to *choose* it... The anthologies used at GCSE made me v dubious about what might be used at AS. Total BS, most of it, imho.

Will have 2 read some on my own at home and get some analytical notes from Neil I guess. Weird how the exam boards have such diff. courses eh.
Reply 21
Ah, i LOVE english lit! Quite possibly my favorite subject!

Im studying William Blake's poetry (songs of innocence and experience), and A Streetcar named desire (Tennessee Williams), and have just finished doing Othello, which was coursework based. Othello is FANTASTIC!!
*Bethany*
i really don't understand why we don't get to study *any* poetry in our AQA course...grrrrr makes me really mad for several reasons, mainly cos i love poetry and also because universities expect you to know terms and techniques for studying poetry and I won't know any...

Bethany... you're studying Chaucer. That is poetry. I do the AQA course and my poetry inclusive modules were the one which involved Chaucer, this year's War Literature synoptic and the Keats this year.
Yep true... but it doesn't feel the same as studying Keats or Byron etc etc imo cos it's so extended and it's like another language...

oh well had my 1:1 today and Neil gave me 3 books on linguistic terms and poetry analysis so some perusals of those should do the trick :smile:
Lucky, can't wait to study Othello next year... tis my favourite Shakespeare :biggrin:

we studied The Glass Menagerie but i recently borrowed Streetcar from the library and thought it was fantastic - then I rented the film with the *yummy* Marlon Brando..mmmm:wink:
Reply 25
*Bethany*
Lucky, can't wait to study Othello next year... tis my favourite Shakespeare :biggrin:

we studied The Glass Menagerie but i recently borrowed Streetcar from the library and thought it was fantastic - then I rented the film with the *yummy* Marlon Brando..mmmm:wink:

yep, Othello is simply brilliant. Streetcar is also great, I raised a whole controversy in my class by saying I didn't sympathise with Blanche
*runs to hide*
Reply 26
Really? I raised a controversy in my class when I said that Streetcar was obviously written to be analysed as well as performed as a play.

Latest