The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Lehane
S2 is ridiculously short (I've just completed it in 6 lessons...), plus S2 is basically doing different things to binomial and poisson distributions, so once you understand them that's 70% of the course!

Would you say that S2 is easier than S1?
AG27
Would you say that S2 is easier than S1?

Yes it is. It's made even easier by the fact you would've done more harder maths by the time you do it. In my opinion it's the easiest maths module; I'm on edexcel, so not sure about other boards.
Reply 42
I found it easier because I'm more of an equation person, and there is a whole chapter on probability in S1 with notation that I still don't understand.
Reply 43
Lehane
I found it easier because I'm more of an equation person, and there is a whole chapter on probability in S1 with notation that I still don't understand.

I'm just about finishing C1 at the moment, do you understand the point or use of Normal Distribution?
Reply 44
I found the best way to learn Statistics is to just accept it! Normal distribution is also used in S2, but once you understand the formula the questions are pretty much the same.
clairey2009
:O D1 rocks!

i'm doing AS at the mo, D1, FP1 and FP2
D1 is more like puzzles than maths, but its not straightforward, you just need to be quite logical. it's the kind of thing that becomes very important for computer programming stuff

FP1 is relatively tricky, but its no harder than C1 and 2. its just different stuff really. proof by induction is fun
I'm doing FP2 at the moment and it's significantly harder. i think its because we're doing differential equations, but we havent actually done the C4 calculus yet. you might find it more interesting if your school does the modules in the right order!!!

good luck!!

I agree, I am starting D2 tomorrow which I am looking forward to. I prefer FP1 to the decision modules but this is only because im more of a pure mathematician. D1 is sooooooooooo much better than S1 (boring).
Reply 46
I've just started D1 today (bubble and quick sorts) and the lad in my class asked whether the invigilators would wake us up if we fell asleep?! I hope it gets more interesting!
Lehane
I found the best way to learn Statistics is to just accept it! Normal distribution is also used in S2, but once you understand the formula the questions are pretty much the same.

Yea they don't really bother explaining why and if you're doing maths or something that needs it they'll teach you it properly in uni anyway.

Latest