The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Toastie_
Hey, so I really really need to get my results for this coursework ASAP! Would be so so helpful if people would fill it in, positive rep is being used as bribery :wink:
Thank you, thank you, thank you to anyone who fills it in!

Please put a cross in the appropriate boxes or use the space provided to answer if needed. Thank you for you time.

1. How old are you

14-17 [ ]
18-21 [x]

2. Are you male or female?

Male [x]
Female [ ]

3. Have you ever been a victim of a crime, and if so what type of crime?
(E.g. Burglary, mugging, car theft, physical violence in the street, etc.)

No

4. If you have been a victim of crime then when was this crime committed against you? (E.g. how old you were, time of day it happened, time of year or anything else you may remember)

5. What crimes do you think are happening in you estate/area/district? (You may cross multiple boxes)

Vandalism [ ]
Drug dealing [ ]
Underage Drinking [x]
Muggings [ ]
Violent attacks [ ]
Burglary [ ]
Knife crime (stabbings/threats using knife) [ ]
Theft [ ]
Verbal abuse [x]
Others [x] (Please state what)

Drug use

6. From this list of crimes, which do you think are most likely to happen to you? (Please cross 3 boxes)

Vandalism [ ]
Drug dealing [x]
Underage Drinking [ ]
Muggings [ ]
Violent attacks [ ]
Burglary [ ]
Theft [ ]
Verbal abuse [x]

Drug use

7. From this list of crimes, which do you think would be the worst to happen to you? (Please cross 3 boxes)

Vandalism [ ]
Drug dealing [ ]
Underage Drinking [ ]
Muggings [ ]
Violent attacks [x]
Burglary [x]
Knife crime (stabbings/threats using knife) [x]
Theft [ ]
Verbal abuse [ ]
Others [ ] (Please state what)

8. What makes the 3 crimes you selected in the above question worse than the others?

I might die from being stabbed, would be hurt from a violent attack, and would lose stuff of mine if i was robbed.

9. What type of person do you think commits the types of crimes you think are most likely to happen to you? (E.g. Age, gender, skin colour, appearance, etc.)

Teens, "wanna be pikeys", wearing trackies and hoodies, boys.

10. Do you think that this type of person is shown to be behind a lot of similar crimes in the media?

Yes, but they probably are doing them

11. What kind of person do you think commits the types of crimes you think are the worst? (E.g. Age, gender, skin colour, etc.

Teens, males, same as above really.

12. Which kind of crime do you think would be the most traumatising to happen to you, verbal abuse or physical abuse?

Verbal abuse [ ]
Physical abuse [x]

Why?

Can leave physical scarring, and scare you into not going out

13. Do you take any of these precautions to help prevent you from becoming a victim of crime?

Walk a different way home when it is dark [ ]
Avoid walking down alley ways at all times of day [ ]
Avoid walking down alley ways when it is dark [ ]
Cross the street to avoid groups of youths who you think may cause trouble [ ]
Avoid certain areas that you think you may be more dangerous [ ]
Catch the bus instead of walking when it is dark [ ]
Get parents/ friends to pick you up when it is dark/ late at night [ ]
Avoid walking alone in the day [ ]
Avoid walking alone at night [ ]
Other [ ] (Please state what)

None

14. Do you watch the news or read any news papers regularly for information on current affairs of crimes?
Read Papers [ ]
Watch news [ ]
Neither [x]

15. In December 2008 the Government released statistics claiming that in 9 special areas where emphasis has been placed on tackling knife crime, "The number of teenagers admitted to hospital with knife wounds fell by 27 per cent". Is this information representative of reports you have seen in the media?

Probably not, theres always someone being stabbed.

16. A “moral panic” is a reaction by a group of people based on a false or exaggerated perception that a group or some cultural behavior creates. Using this definition, do you think that the media creates “moral panics”?

Yes [ ]
No [x]

Why?

I'm not sure, it just doesn't seem like the media does.

17. Your friends invite you to go out and “hang around” after dark. How likely would you be to go with them?
Very likely [x]
Fairly likely [ ]
Not very likely [ ]
Definitely would not go [ ]
Do not know [ ]

18. Your friends invite you to meet up with someone they met while they were walking around late at night, the person is older and your friends have told you that they often walk around the streets at night. How likely would you be to go with your friends to meet this person?

Very likely [ ]
Fairly likely [x]
Not very likely [ ]
Do not know [ ]

19. You have been out with your friends and they have all gone home for the night it is dark and after 9pm. What do you think you would do?

Walk home by the safest route [ ]
Walk home by the fastest route, regardless of how safe it was [x]
Call your parent/carer/friend for a lift home [ ]
Stay at a friend’s house [ ]
Do not go home yet [ ]
Do not go home at all that night [ ]

20. You are walking down the street at midday, there is a group of hooded youths in front of you obstructing the pathway, what do you choose to do?

Keep walking past them [x]
Cross the road to avoid walking directly past them [ ]
Choose a different path so you don’t have to walk past them at all [ ]

Why did you choose this?

Cos i'm not scared of some hooded kids.

21. You are home alone, it is dark and past 9pm and there is a knock at the door, you are not expecting anyone, what do you do?

Answer the door [x]
Look out of a window to see who it is before answering [ ]
Don’t answer the door [ ]

Why did you choose this?

My door has windows in it, so if i go to answer the door, they see me, and i see them. If they look shady il either put the chain on the door, or have something heavy to hit them with if i need it

The survey is now over. Thank you for your time and answers

There you go (:
Reply 2
1. How old are you?

14-17 [ ]
18-21 [x]

Male [x]
Female [ ]

Burglary

4. If you have been a victim of crime then when was this crime committed against you? (E.g. how old you were, time of day it happened, time of year or anything else you may remember)

Last year, twice from my house, once from my car. From the house happened once in the middle of the day in early summer, then in winter in the middle of the night. And from the car some time in-between and at night.

5. What crimes do you think are happening in you estate/area/district? (You may cross multiple boxes)

Vandalism [x]
Drug dealing [x]
Underage Drinking [x]
Muggings [x]
Violent attacks [ ]
Burglary [x]
Knife crime (stabbings/threats using knife) [x] (threats, not stabs)
Theft [x]
Verbal abuse [x]

6. From this list of crimes, which do you think are most likely to happen to you? (Please cross 3 boxes)

Vandalism [ ]
Drug dealing [ ]
Underage Drinking [ ]
Muggings [ ]
Violent attacks [ ]
Burglary [x]
Theft [x]
Verbal abuse [x]

7. From this list of crimes, which do you think would be the worst to happen to you? (Please cross 3 boxes)

Vandalism [ ]
Drug dealing [ ]
Underage Drinking [ ]
Muggings [x]
Violent attacks [x]
Burglary [ ]
Theft [ ]
Verbal abuse [ ]

8. What makes the 3 crimes you selected in the above question worse than the others?

They are violent crimes and would cause the most physical and emotional disturbance to my life.

9. What type of person do you think commits the types of crimes you think are most likely to happen to you? (E.g. Age, gender, skin colour, appearance, etc.)

Young people, aged 16-25 or so who are in need of money. Probably male and of any ethnicity. I imagine them to wear dark clothes, probably tracksuits.

10. Do you think that this type of person is shown to be behind a lot of similar crimes in the media?

Yes I do.

11. What kind of person do you think commits the types of crimes you think are the worst? (E.g. Age, gender, skin colour, etc.

Similar group of people, but more sinister and violent, less interested in money and more interested in satisfying any kind of boredom by wronging another human being. Quite heatless and with very few morals.

12. Which kind of crime do you think would be the most traumatising to happen to you, verbal abuse or physical abuse?

Verbal abuse [ ]
Physical abuse [x]

Why?

I could get over verbal abuse with time, physical abuse could leave me physically scared for life or impared.

13. Do you take any of these precautions to help prevent you from becoming a victim of crime?

Avoid walking down alley ways when it is dark [x]
Cross the street to avoid groups of youths who you think may cause trouble [x]
Avoid certain areas that you think you may be more dangerous [x]

14. Do you watch the news or read any news papers regularly for information on current affairs of crimes?

Read Papers [ ]
Watch news [ ]
Neither [x]

15. In December 2008 the Government released statistics claiming that in 9 special areas where emphasis has been placed on tackling knife crime, "The number of teenagers admitted to hospital with knife wounds fell by 27 per cent". Is this information representative of reports you have seen in the media?

No, the media is often showing knife crime amongst youths to be increasing. I don't think i have heard much positive news about it.

16. A “moral panic” is a reaction by a group of people based on a false or exaggerated perception that a group or some cultural behavior creates. Using this definition, do you think that the media creates “moral panics”?

Yes [x]
No [ ]

Why?

They often link certain groups of people with certain crimes/events and they put particular focus on them causing the publis to fear these people too. For example: the media's fuss about hoodies which was a huge over-exaggeration.

17. Your friends invite you to go out and “hang around” after dark. How likely would you be to go with them?

Very likely [ ]
Fairly likely [x]
Not very likely [ ]
Do not know [ ]

18. Your friends invite you to meet up with someone they met while they were walking around late at night, the person is older and your friends have told you that they often walk around the streets at night. How likely would you be to go with your friends to meet this person?

Very likely [ ]
Fairly likely [ ]
Not very likely [ ]
Do not know [x]

19. You have been out with your friends and they have all gone home for the night it is dark and after 9pm. What do you think you would do?

Walk home by the fastest route, regardless of how safe it was [x]
Do not go home yet [ ]

20. You are walking down the street at midday, there is a group of hooded youths in front of you obstructing the pathway, what do you choose to do?

Cross the road to avoid walking directly past them [x]

Why did you choose this?

Groups of people can be very threatening. Safety in numbers and power too. And not everyone will let you walk by without some form of hastle.

21. You are home alone, it is dark and past 9pm and there is a knock at the door, you are not expecting anyone, what do you do?

Answer the door [ ]
Look out of a window to see who it is before answering [x]

Why did you choose this?

Night time is a strange time to call at someone's house, I would want to see who it was to try and gauge how dangerous the situation was.

The survey is now over. Thank you for your time and answers.

Fin. =]
wow. my sociology questionnaire has only 2 questions
Reply 4
calsleet
wow. my sociology questionnaire has only 2 questions

You are lucky!
I wish mine did :tongue:
Hey you :smile:

Please put a cross in the appropriate boxes or use the space provided to answer if needed. Thank you for you time.

1. How old are you?

14-17 [ x]
18-21 [ ]

Male [ ]
Female [x ]

Ermm 1)someone shot at our windows with an air gun thingy a few years back
2)back window of car smashed
3)outdoor lights pulled out of the ground :mad:

1) When I was about 7... about 10ish at night... can't remember :P
2)17, about 3AM, July?!
3)17, in the night, happened loads.

Vandalism [x ]
Drug dealing [x ]
Underage Drinking [x ]
Muggings [ ]
Violent attacks [x ]
Burglary [xxxxx ]
Knife crime (stabbings/threats using knife) [x ]
Theft [x ]
Verbal abuse [x ]

Vandalism [x ]
Drug dealing [ ]
Underage Drinking []
Muggings [ ]
Violent attacks [ ]
Burglary [ ]
Theft [x ]
Verbal abuse [x ]

Vandalism [ ]
Drug dealing [ ]
Underage Drinking [ ]
Muggings [x ]
Violent attacks [x ]
Burglary [ ]
Knife crime (stabbings/threats using knife) [ x]
Theft [ ]
Verbal abuse [ ]

Burglary and Theft are also bad but I thought attacks on actual people are worse? If that makes sense.

Teens onwards. Male or female. Any skin colour.
Not sure about appearance but possibly trackies, hoodies with the hood up and an 'I'm well 'ard init mate' attitude. People who think it's 'fun' to vandalise peoples property. Stand on street corners drinking cheap cider and hurl abuse at random passers by.

Yeah.

Teens onwards. Possibly male. Any skin colour.
Again, not sure about appearance but maybe hoodie with hood up, same sort of attitude as above. Possibly on drugs and need money so resort to muggings and violence. Try to intimidate people.

Verbal abuse [ ]
Physical abuse [x ]

Why?

Verbal abuse happens every day and it's easier to ignore than physical abuse. Verbal abuse still be really traumatic, especially if it's regular and contains threats etc... but I think physical abuse is probably worse because it could be serious and leave people seriously injured. Although with physical abuse it might be easier to prevent further abuse with the police as it's really hard to stop and prove verbal abuse has happened - making it harder to prevent?
Okay I'm waffling now, sorry!

Avoid walking down alley ways when it is dark [x ]
Get parents/ friends to pick you up when it is dark/ late at night [x ]
Avoid walking alone at night [x ]

Read Papers [x ]
Watch news [ x]
Neither [ ]

Not really.

Yes [x ]
No [ ]

Why?
Because it only focuses on that group and behaviour and doesn't show the positive things that the group have done. It will focus on all of the bad points and then the whole group tends to fall under the negative stereotype.

Very likely [ ]
Fairly likely [ ]
Not very likely [x]
Do not know [ ]

Very likely [ ]
Fairly likely [ ]
Not very likely [x ]
Do not know [ ]

Walk home by the fastest route, regardless of how safe it was [ ]
Call your parent/carer/friend for a lift home [x ]
Do not go home yet [ ]

Keep walking past them [x ]

Why did you choose this?

I wouldn't show them that I felt intimidated in any way by crossing the road. I'd rather walk straight past. If you show that you're intimidated then you would look weaker and give them the power they think they should have.

Answer the door [ ]
Look out of a window to see who it is before answering [x ]

Why did you choose this?
I'd probably look out of the window first because I wouldn't want to be answering the door to just anybody at that time of night! Then if I didn't recognise them I wouldn't answer.

1. How old are you?

14-17 [ ]
18-21 [x]

Male [ ]
Female [x]

no

n/a

Vandalism [x]
Drug dealing [x]
Underage Drinking [x]
Muggings []
Violent attacks [x]
Burglary [x]
Theft [x]
Verbal abuse [x]

Vandalism [ ]
Drug dealing [ ]
Underage Drinking [ ]
Muggings [x]
Violent attacks [ ]
Burglary [x]
Theft [ ]
Verbal abuse [x]

Vandalism [ ]
Drug dealing [ ]
Underage Drinking [ ]
Muggings [ ]
Violent attacks [x]
Burglary [ ]
Theft [ ]
Verbal abuse [ ]
Rape

An invasion of my personal space, likely to affect me mentally for the rest of my life, especially rape

Male, 18-40, white

Yes, for example female rapists aren't very publicised

11. What kind of person do you think commits the types of crimes you think are the worst? (E.g. Age, gender, skin colour, etc.)
same as above, 18-40, male

Verbal abuse [ ]
Physical abuse [x]

Why?
i'm not a physically strong person so i'd feel more vulnerable if i was attacked physically whereas i can usually give as good as i get verbally, verbal abuse has never really bothered me as i'm quite a mentally and emotionally strong person

Walk a different way home when it is dark [x]
Avoid walking down alley ways at all times of day [x]
Get parents/ friends to pick you up when it is dark/ late at night [x]
Avoid walking alone at night [x]
Other [x] (Please state what)
Don't make eye contact with those you see as a threat
Don't have mobile phones/money/ipods on show

Read Papers [ ]
Watch news [x]
Neither [ ]

No, i thought knife crime was at an all time high

Yes [ ]
No [x]

Why?
people make their own perceptions of people, they don't always need the media to do it for them

Very likely [ ]
Fairly likely [ ]
Not very likely [ ]
Definitely would not go [x]
Do not know [ ]

Very likely [ ]
Fairly likely [ ]
Not very likely [ ]
Do not know [ ]

Call your parent/carer/friend for a lift home [x]
Do not go home yet [ ]

Why did you choose this?
i wouldnt make eye contact but the more obvious you make it to them that you're intimidated the more likely they are to play on that

Answer the door [ ]
Don’t answer the door [x]

Why did you choose this?
if they really needed me they'd ring
Toastie_

1. How old are you?

14-17 [ ]
18-21 [X]

Male [x]
Female [ ]

n/a

n/a

Vandalism [x]
Drug dealing [ ]
Underage Drinking [x]
Muggings [ ]
Violent attacks [ ]
Burglary [ ]
Theft [ ]
Verbal abuse [ ]

Vandalism [x]
Drug dealing [ ]
Underage Drinking [x]
Muggings [ ]
Violent attacks [ ]
Burglary [ ]
Theft [ ]
Verbal abuse [x]

Vandalism [ ]
Drug dealing [ ]
Underage Drinking [ ]
Muggings [ ]
Violent attacks [x]
Burglary [x]
Theft [ ]
Verbal abuse [ ]

Knife -Potentially life threatening.
Violent attack -As above/ would be hurt.
Burglary - Having stuff stolen, and an intruder in the house.

Teens, Males, "Chavs", Tracksuits, hoodies etc

Yes

Same as above but slightly older, late teens - young adults.

Verbal abuse [ ]
Physical abuse [x]

Why?

Being physically hurt, and possible mental harm.

Read Papers [x]
Watch news [x]
Neither [ ]

Not really, the media exaggerate any knife crime related stats, and tend to put across that knife crime is increasing.

Yes [x]
No [ ]

Why?

The media emphesises and exaggerates crimes, and tends to link them with certain cultural groups. For example, knife crime, or any violent crime is intrinsically linked to hoodie culture due to the media.

Very likely [ ]
Fairly likely [x]
Not very likely [ ]
Do not know [ ]

Very likely [ ]
Fairly likely [ ]
Not very likely [x]
Do not know [ ]

Walk home by the safest route [x]
Do not go home yet [ ]

Keep walking past them [ ]
Choose a different path so you don’t have to walk past them at all [x]

Why did you choose this?
Intimidated by them, cannot be bothered to deal with hassel.

Answer the door [ ]

Why did you choose this?

It is rare for someone to knock the door late at night and it could be anyone, so I would look out the window to see who it was. I would answer if I knew them, and wouldn't answer if it was someone I didn't know.

:wink:
1. How old are you?

14-17 [ ]
18-21 [x]

Male [ ]
Female [x]

No

N/A

5. What crimes do you think are happening in your estate/area/district? (You may cross multiple boxes)

Vandalism [x ]
Drug dealing [ x]
Underage Drinking [x ]
Muggings [ ]
Violent attacks [ ]
Burglary [ ]
Theft [x ]
Verbal abuse [x ]

Vandalism [ ]
Drug dealing [ ]
Underage Drinking [ ]
Muggings [ x]
Violent attacks [ ]
Burglary [ ]
Theft [x ]
Verbal abuse [ x]

Vandalism [ ]
Drug dealing [ ]
Underage Drinking [ ]
Muggings [x ]
Violent attacks [x ]
Burglary [ ]
Theft [ ]
Verbal abuse [ ]

Coz they can lead to me being physically injured.

Young, male, 'chavvy'

Well that's what the media want us to believe.

Same as question 9

Verbal abuse [x ]
Physical abuse [ x]

Why?
Both because I've suffered verbal abuse before and it had a bad effect on my self-esteem and confidence. Physical abuse would obviously put me in pain so obviously that's not a good thing.

Cross the street to avoid groups of youths who you think may cause trouble [x ]
Avoid certain areas that you think you may be more dangerous [ x]
Catch the bus instead of walking when it is dark [x ]

Read Papers [ ]
Watch news [x ]
Neither [ ]

No

Yes [x ]
No [ ]

Why?
Well I'm a media student, so I know all about this...

Very likely [ ]
Fairly likely [ ]
Not very likely [ ]
Definitely would not go [x ]
Do not know [ ]

Very likely [ ]
Fairly likely [ ]
Not very likely [ x]
Do not know [ ]

Walk home by the safest route [x ]
Do not go home yet [ ]

Why did you choose this?
If you cross over the road, it is clear to them that you're avoiding them, so then they're more likely to start trouble with you.

Answer the door [ ]
Don’t answer the door [x ]

Why did you choose this?
I live in a rough area and I don't answer the door late at night coz I'd probably be attacked by chavs...
Toastie_
Hey, so I really really need to get my results for this coursework ASAP! Would be so so helpful if people would fill it in, positive rep is being used as bribery :wink:

1. How old are you?

14-17 [ ]
18-21 [ x]

Male [ x]
Female [ ]

Nope

Vandalism [x ]
Drug dealing [x ]
Underage Drinking [x ]
Muggings [ ]
Violent attacks [ ]
Burglary [ x]
Theft [ x]
Verbal abuse [x ]

Vandalism [ ]
Drug dealing [ ]
Underage Drinking [ ]
Muggings [x ]
Violent attacks [ ]
Burglary [ x]
Theft [ ]
Verbal abuse [ x]

Vandalism [ ]
Drug dealing [ ]
Underage Drinking [ ]
Muggings [ x]
Violent attacks [x ]
Burglary [ ]
Theft [ ]
Verbal abuse [ ]

They all contain some form of violence and the effects of this violence could hinder my day to day life.

People who don't know any better (grown up in an area where these were common and may have had family members committing said crimes).

Same as 9

Verbal abuse [x ]
Physical abuse [ ]

Why?

You can heal physically from a beating, but the effects emotionally and mentally never really go away.

Avoid walking down alley ways at all times of day [x ]
Cross the street to avoid groups of youths who you think may cause trouble [ x]
Other [x ] (Please state what)

Prepare myself for abuse and attack by being more alert when in a bad area

Read Papers [ ]
Watch news [ ]
Neither [ x]

I couldn't say

Yes [ x]
No [ ]

Why?

It stereotypes crime commiters and causes unnecessary worry and alot of mistrust for people.

Very likely [ ]
Fairly likely [x ]
Not very likely [ ]
Do not know [ ]

Very likely [ ]
Fairly likely [x ]
Not very likely [ ]
Do not know [ ]

Walk home by the safest route [ x]
Do not go home yet [ ]

Cross the road to avoid walking directly past them [ x]

Why did you choose this?

It saves on any abuse and also people who dress this way are typically more 'anit social' in the area i live in.

Answer the door [ ]
Look out of a window to see who it is before answering [ x]

Why did you choose this?

I always look out the window before answer the door so it's more habitual than anything else.

Thank you for allowing me to dodge my coursework for 5 minutes :yep:
Toastie_

1. How old are you?

14-17 [ ]
18-21 [x ]

Male [ ]
Female [x ]

no

n/a

Vandalism [x ]
Drug dealing [x ]
Underage Drinking [x ]
Muggings [ ]
Violent attacks [ ]
Burglary [ ]
Theft [x ]
Verbal abuse [ ]

Vandalism [ ]
Drug dealing [ ]
Underage Drinking [x ]
Muggings [ ]
Violent attacks [ ]
Burglary [ ]
Theft [ ]
Verbal abuse [ ]

Vandalism [ ]
Drug dealing [ ]
Underage Drinking [ ]
Muggings [x ]
Violent attacks [x ]
Burglary [ ]
Theft [ ]
Verbal abuse [ ]

they are the most violent of the crimes

men, older teens to middle aged, yob or pervy looking

yes

men

Verbal abuse [ ]
Physical abuse [x ]

Why?

leaves marks

Avoid certain areas that you think you may be more dangerous [x ]

Read Papers [ ]
Watch news [ ]
Neither [x ]

no

Yes [x ]
No [ ]

Why?
Over emphasis on the problems immigrants may create

Very likely [ ]
Fairly likely [ ]
Not very likely [ ]
Do not know x]

Very likely [ ]
Fairly likely [ ]
Not very likely [ ]
Do not know [x ]

Do not go home yet [ ]

Cross the road to avoid walking directly past them [x ]

Why did you choose this?
To avoid any incidence of trouble from them

Answer the door [ ]
Don’t answer the door [x ]

Why did you choose this?

Better to be safe than sorry.

--
Reply 11
1. How old are you?

14-17 [ ]
18-21 [X]

Male [X]
Female [ ]

Assualt, Verbal Abuse

2003, about 15 years old

Vandalism [X]
Drug dealing [X]
Underage Drinking [X]
Muggings [ ]
Violent attacks [X]
Burglary [ ]
Theft [ ]
Verbal abuse [X]

Vandalism [X]
Drug dealing [ ]
Underage Drinking [ ]
Muggings [ ]
Violent attacks [X]
Burglary [ ]
Theft [ ]
Verbal abuse [X]

Vandalism [X]
Drug dealing [ ]
Underage Drinking [ ]
Muggings [ ]
Violent attacks [X]
Burglary [ ]
Theft [ ]
Verbal abuse [X]

Because those are the only ones that can realistically effect me, I don't have anything really they can rob me of, I don't do drugs and I am legally able to drink the area is pretty popular with drinkers so I wouldn't have to worry so much about knives (because of the bouncers and cops) but because people can't handle their drinks there is usually a lot verbal abuse and drunkard fights going off in the evenings.

Deranged, Drunk and Desperate people.

Sometimes, they are but not always.

11. What kind of person do you think commits the types of crimes you think are the worst? (E.g. Age, gender, skin colour, etc.)

Deranged, Drunk and Desperate people again.

Verbal abuse [X]
Physical abuse [ ]

Why?

You can recover from most physical injuries that you would get from Physical abuse, but the Verbal stuff will stay with you regardless, even if it doesn't overly bother you, you are still going to remember it in the future.

Cross the street to avoid groups of youths who you think may cause trouble [X]
Avoid certain areas that you think you may be more dangerous [X]

Read Papers [X]
Watch news [ ]
Neither [ ]

I can't honestly answer this as I don't really pay much attention to media reports of crimes. But I guess that while the National average might have fallen it is feasible that the knife incidents in my local area have gone up for all I know.

Yes [X]
No [ ]

Why?

Because all types of news media exaggerate or embellish their stories to make them more interesting or to fit their purpose (if they are a force behind a specific initiative like say, Megan's Law...etc)

Very likely [ ]
Fairly likely [ ]
Not very likely [ ]
Do not know [X]

Very likely [ ]
Fairly likely [ ]
Not very likely [ ]
Do not know [X]

Walk home by the fastest route, regardless of how safe it was [X]
Do not go home yet [ ]

Choose a different path so you don’t have to walk past them at all [X]

Why did you choose this?

Because it is the only option that minimises the chance that a confrontation or incident will occur.

Answer the door [ ]
Look out of a window to see who it is before answering [X]

Why did you choose this?

Because it allows me to confirm who it is that is knocking on the door without opening the door.
Toastie_

1. How old are you?

14-17 [ ]
18-21 [x]

Male [ x]
Female [ ]

yes, burglary

Young, I think about 13, it happened in the evening in the summer

Vandalism [x ]
Drug dealing [ x]
Underage Drinking [x ]
Muggings [ x]
Violent attacks [ ]
Burglary [x ]
Theft [ ]
Verbal abuse [ ]

Vandalism [ ]
Drug dealing [ ]
Underage Drinking [ ]
Muggings [x ]
Violent attacks [ ]
Burglary [ ]
Theft [ ]
Verbal abuse [ ]

Vandalism [ ]
Drug dealing [x ]
Underage Drinking [ ]
Muggings [x ]
Violent attacks [x ]
Burglary [ ]
Theft [ ]
Verbal abuse [ x]

Not nice to have done to you.

In their teens, could be any of the rest though (i.e. any skin colour) but definately male most of the time

no

male, 18-ish, black

Verbal abuse [ ]
Physical abuse [ x]

Why?

It would hurt

Walk a different way home when it is dark [x ]

Read Papers [x ]
Watch news [ x]
Neither [ ]

No, lots of crime is talked about in the media

Yes [x ]
No [ ]

Why?

Good story

Very likely [ ]
Fairly likely [ ]
Not very likely [x ]
Do not know [ ]

Very likely [ ]
Fairly likely [ ]
Not very likely [ x]
Do not know [ ]

Call your parent/carer/friend for a lift home [x ]
Do not go home yet [ ]

Choose a different path so you don’t have to walk past them at all [ x]

Why did you choose this?

Stay safer

Answer the door [ ]
Look out of a window to see who it is before answering [x ]

Why did you choose this?

Stay safe

no prob
Reply 13
1. How old are you?

14-17 [ ]
18-21 [x]

Male [ ]
Female [x]

Physical violence in the street.

I was about fifteen, in the middle of the day on a Saturday on a busy street! Everyone else just stood there, looking shocked.

Vandalism [ ]
Drug dealing [x]
Underage Drinking [x]
Muggings [ ]
Violent attacks [x]
Burglary [c]
Theft [x]
Verbal abuse [x]

Vandalism [ ]
Drug dealing [x]
Underage Drinking [x]
Muggings [x]
Violent attacks [ ]
Burglary [ ]
Theft [ ]
Verbal abuse [ ]

Vandalism [ ]
Drug dealing [ ]
Underage Drinking [ ]
Muggings [ ]
Violent attacks [x]
Burglary [x]
Theft [ ]
Verbal abuse [ ]

They cause serious physical harm to me or steal my things! :frown:

15-20 age bracket, males, 'chavs'... mostly druggies 'round here.

Yeah, all the time - stereotypes.

Same as above really.

Verbal abuse [ ]
Physical abuse [x]

Why?
Sticks and stones etc., but being physically attacked is something which is hard to shake off.

Read Papers [x]
Watch news [ ]
Neither [ ]

No, there is much hype in the media about how 'crime is rising' especially knife crime in particular, quite often there is a news story about a youth getting stabbed. If there isn't a recent case, the news seems to cling onto an old story about a stabbing just to bring it to the public eye.

Yes [x]
No [ ]

Why?

As above, the media use alot of hyperbolic techniques and over-exaggerate what is *really* going on, or miss out certain facts in order to make their case seem more dramatic.

Very likely [ ]
Fairly likely [x]
Not very likely [ ]
Do not know [ ]

Very likely [ ]
Fairly likely [ ]
Not very likely [x]
Do not know [ ]

Do not go home yet [ ]

Why did you choose this?

Answer the door [ ]

Why did you choose this?
My mum always blags me to not answer the door ever.
Reply 14
1. How old are you?

14-17 [ ]
18-21 [x]

Male [ ]
Female [x]

Yes, car was broken into and possessions stolen, and my car has been vandalised many times.

march 2008, during the night, I was 19.

Vandalism [x]
Drug dealing [x]
Underage Drinking [x]
Muggings [x]
Violent attacks [x]
Burglary [x]
Theft [x]
Verbal abuse [x]

Vandalism [x]
Drug dealing [ ]
Underage Drinking [ ]
Muggings [x]
Violent attacks [ ]
Burglary [ ]
Theft []
Verbal abuse [ ]
Others [x] (Please state what) Probably sexual assault or something.

Vandalism [ ]
Drug dealing [ ]
Underage Drinking [ ]
Muggings [ ]
Violent attacks [x]
Burglary [ ]
Theft [ ]
Verbal abuse [ ]
Others [x] (Please state what) sexual assault

physically and psychologically harmful. possessions can be replaced, the ones I chose could leave you dead/****** up.

teenagers-late 20s. male. any skin colour. chavs/skin heads/pissheads/crackheads

sometimes, but I've generalised that from my experience of seeing people fighting/vandalising/causing harm.

I duno, the same.

Verbal abuse [ ]
Physical abuse [x]

Why?
because it's physically harming you, a more visible reminder of the abuse. tbh with most physical abuse there's going to be some verbal abuse so in a way it's double as bad.

Walk a different way home when it is dark [ ] I walk the same way so I know it's familiar and I can make a quick get away if necessary.
Catch the bus instead of walking when it is dark [x]
Other [x] (Please state what) carry my keys in my hand in my pocket, so I could jab someone if they attacked me + also means I'm not standing in the street trying to find my keys when I get to my house. Carry my phone in my other hand in my pocket incase I need to ring the police or something.

Read Papers [ ]
Watch news [ ]
Neither [ ]
Read the news online

Not really..but I do live in manchester there's always someone been stabbed or shot.

Yes [x]
No [ ]

Why?
to sell the news.

Very likely [ ]
Fairly likely [ ]
Not very likely [ ]
Do not know [ ]
You'd have to define hang around. at their house? on the street?

Very likely [ ]
Fairly likely [ ]
Not very likely [x]
Do not know [ ]

Walk home by the safest route [x I'd probably get a taxi or a bus]
Do not go home yet [ ]

Why did you choose this?
generally they're not likely to cause any trouble in the first place. especially in the middle of the day.

Answer the door [ ]
Don’t answer the door [x] I'd peep out the window to see who it was, without being seen.

Why did you choose this?
I don't wana be raped/attacked.
Reply 15
1. How old are you?

14-17 [ ]
18-21 [x]

Male [x]
Female [ ]

Yes. While on holiday my luggage was stolen.

I was on holiday in Barcelona at the bus station with friends. It was really early in the morning (like 3am). It was during August. I was about 18.
I put my luggage on the ground, looked around, and when I turned back it was gone.

Vandalism [x]
Drug dealing [x]
Underage Drinking [x]
Muggings [ ]
Violent attacks [ ]
Burglary [ ]
Theft [x]
Verbal abuse [x]

Vandalism [x]
Drug dealing [ ]
Underage Drinking [ ]
Muggings [ ]
Violent attacks [ ]
Burglary [ ]
Theft [x]
Verbal abuse [x]

Vandalism [ ]
Drug dealing [ ]
Underage Drinking [ ]
Muggings [x]
Violent attacks [x]
Burglary [ ]
Theft [ ]
Verbal abuse [ ]

They affect your person and so may cause more psychological damage. In any case, they're more long-lasting as you'll remember the person or at least remember the act of being physically harassed and mugged/stabbed/violently attacked.

Young people, usually those without work or any prospects. Traditionally male. Appearance would be short hair/skin head, wearing tracksuits and chains and earrings.
Skin colour is irrelevant, though in my area it would most likely be white.

Yes, most certainly. Though, there's no smoke without fire.

The same answer as in question 9.

Verbal abuse [ ]
Physical abuse [x]

Why?

It is possible to forget verbal abuse, and while traumatic at the time, it is forgettable. You'll always remember if someone has physically touched you as it imprints onto the mind you were physically harmed.

Avoid walking down alley ways at all times of day [x]

Read Papers [x]
Watch news [ ]
Neither [ ]

No. Not at all. Recently I've heard in The Times that police are treating knife crime as more important than terrorism.

Yes [ ]
No [x]

Why?

The major issue is there is no smoke without fire. Sure, the media does perpetuate this view, that said, they aren't making up news and these are real acts that are happening. The news are solely highlighting it.

That said, I think it also depends on your source of news. Certain papers such as the Daily Mail, The Sun, The Star, and The Daily Mirror could be argued to create a moral panic, whereas others such as The Times and The Guardian don't.

Very likely [x]
Fairly likely [ ]
Not very likely [ ]
Do not know [ ]

Very likely [ ]
Fairly likely [ ]
Not very likely [x]
Do not know [ ]

Call your parent/carer/friend for a lift home [x] Well, bus.
Do not go home yet [ ]

Why did you choose this?

To avoid any problems that may arise. Walking directly past them may aggrevate them, and I'm not inclined to totally change my habits due to them and change route entirely.

Answer the door [ ]

Why did you choose this?

Because it could be someone dangerous at the door. Sure, a robber or someone is unlikely to knock, though they may if there is no car outside. Additionally, it may be something urgent and as such it should be checked out.

Hope that helps. :smile:
Toastie_

1. How old are you?

14-17 [x]
18-21 [ ]

Male [x]
Female [ ]

No

Vandalism [ ]
Drug dealing [ ]
Underage Drinking [ ]
Muggings [ ]
Violent attacks [ ]
Burglary [x]
Theft [x]
Verbal abuse [ ]

Vandalism [ ]
Drug dealing [ ]
Underage Drinking [ ]
Muggings [x]
Violent attacks [x]
Burglary [ ]
Theft [x]
Verbal abuse [ ]

Vandalism [ ]
Drug dealing [ ]
Underage Drinking [ ]
Muggings [x]
Violent attacks [x]
Burglary [ ]
Theft [ ]
Verbal abuse [ ]

Affects you directly so makes you traumatised.

16-25, Male.

No

16-25, Male.

Verbal abuse [ ]
Physical abuse [x]

Why?
I have the biggest will ever so I can ignore verbal abuse. Physical may leave scars so harder to get away from.

Read Papers [x]
Watch news [x]
Neither [ ]

Yes in terms of knife crime.

Yes [ ]
No [x]

Why?
It is always politically correct and so it should be.

Very likely [ ]
Fairly likely [ ]
Not very likely [x]
Do not know [ ]

Very likely [ ]
Fairly likely [ ]
Not very likely [ ]
Do not know [ ]

Do not go home yet [ ]

Why did you choose this?
Should the need arise, I can run.

Answer the door [ ]

Why did you choose this?
As it is the safest way to ensure that the person who you are opening the door for is a friend.

Here you go.
1. How old are you?

14-17 [x ]
18-21 [ ]

Male [ ]
Female [x ]

Car broken into, stolen

aged 8 and aged 15

Vandalism [x ]
Drug dealing [ ]
Underage Drinking [x ]
Muggings [ ]
Violent attacks [ x]
Burglary [ x]
Theft [x ]
Verbal abuse [x ]

Vandalism [ ]
Drug dealing [ ]
Underage Drinking [ ]
Muggings [ ]
Violent attacks [ ]
Burglary [ x]
Theft [ x]
Verbal abuse [x ]

Vandalism [ ]
Drug dealing [ ]
Underage Drinking [ ]
Muggings [ ]
Violent attacks [x ]
Burglary [ ]
Theft [ ]
Verbal abuse [x ]

They can cause you physical harm

Young male, chavvy (!)

Yes

Same as above

Verbal abuse [ ]
Physical abuse [x ]

Why?

Because it leaves a visible reminder nd you would probs get verbal abuse along with it

Walk a different way home when it is dark [ x]
Catch the bus instead of walking when it is dark [x ]
Avoid walking alone at night [ x]

Read Papers [x ]
Watch news [x ]
Neither [ ]

No.

Yes [x ]
No [ ]

Why?
To sell newspapers

Very likely [ ]
Fairly likely [ ]
Not very likely [x ]
Do not know [ ]

Very likely [ ]
Fairly likely [ ]
Not very likely [ ]
Definitely would not go [x ]
Do not know [ ]

Call your parent/carer/friend for a lift home [ x]
Do not go home yet [ ]

Why did you choose this?

Gut reaction lol

Answer the door [ ]
Look out of a window to see who it is before answering [ x]

Why did you choose this?

Reply 18
Toastie_

1. How old are you?

14-17 [ ]
18-21 [x]

Male [ ]
Female [x]

No

N/A

Vandalism [x]
Drug dealing [x]
Underage Drinking [x]
Muggings [ ]
Violent attacks [ ]
Burglary [ ]
Theft [x]
Verbal abuse [x]

Vandalism [x]
Drug dealing [ ]
Underage Drinking [ ]
Muggings [ ]
Violent attacks [ ]
Burglary [ ]
Theft [x]
Verbal abuse [x]

Vandalism [ ]
Drug dealing [x]
Underage Drinking [ ]
Muggings [ ]
Violent attacks [x]
Burglary [ ]
Theft [ ]
Verbal abuse [ ]

Knife crime and Violent attacks, I can imagine are terrifying and I think they would do long term damage (scared of going out again, etc) whereas burglary and theft are what I would consider short term. Drug dealing again, if you get addicted can be long term, plus it can be fatal.

Generally in my area, the type of people that commits these crimes are young, 15 - 25 males, of no specific skin colour. Usually wears hoodies/sportswear, i'm not being sterotypical, but they do to cover their faces I guess.

Yes

Anyone that commits these crimes are pretty bad! I guess if they're young and commiting crimes it's slightly worse though.

Verbal abuse [x]
Physical abuse [ ]

Why?

Because I was verbally abused for a long time, I'll never forget the comments i've recieved over the years.

Read Papers [x]
Watch news [ ]
Neither [ ]

No, from what i've read in the media knife crime is on the rise?

Yes [x]
No [ ]

Why?

Because the media often focuses on youths who commit crimes rather than adults, therefore it creates the moral panic "Look at Britains youth" "What have we done" "Parents bringing up knifey kids". When it isn't THAT bad.

Very likely [x]
Fairly likely [ ]
Not very likely [ ]
Do not know [ ]

Very likely [ ]
Fairly likely [x]
Not very likely [ ]
Do not know [ ]

Do not go home yet [ ]

Why did you choose this?

Because if i crossed the road/moved i'd feel like they had won. They might not necessarily be out to cause trouble anyway.

Answer the door [ ]

Why did you choose this?

I wouldn't answer it because I wouldn't trust who it is and I wouldn't look out the window in case they see that I am home.

I lol'd at "hooded youths". :tongue:
1. How old are you?

14-17 [x]
18-21 [ ]

Male [ ]
Female [x]

Yes- Theft

First time it was an afternoon in October and I was 12.
Second time it was a morning in August and I was 15

Vandalism [x ]
Drug dealing [ ]
Underage Drinking [ [x]
Muggings [ ]
Violent attacks [x]
Burglary [ x]
Knife crime (stabbings/threats using knife) [ [x]]
Theft [x ]
Verbal abuse [ ]

Vandalism [ ]
Drug dealing [ ]
Underage Drinking [x ]
Muggings [ ]
Violent attacks [ ]
Burglary [ ]
Theft [ ]
Verbal abuse [x ]

Vandalism [ ]
Drug dealing [ ]
Underage Drinking [ ]
Muggings [x ]
Violent attacks [ x]
Burglary [ ]
Theft [
Verbal abuse []

All involve harming someone

For knife crime a male hoody, black skin/mixed race, around 16-21, quite tall and well built. For mugging and violent attacks a male hoody, any ethnicity though most likely white or black, around 16-21, quite tall and well built.

The black person definitley

well the way it seems in the media its mostly black male hoodies, 16-21 years old.

Verbal abuse [ ]
Physical abuse [ ]

Why?
Because physical abuse can leave you with permanent scars which would serve as a memory of the event.

Avoid walking down alley ways when it is dark [ x]
Cross the street to avoid groups of youths who you think may cause trouble [ x]
Catch the bus instead of walking when it is dark [ x]
Get parents/ friends to pick you up when it is dark/ late at night [ x]

Read Papers [x ]
Watch news [x ]
Neither [ ]

Definitley not.

[B]Yes [x]
No [ ]

Why?

Because they always focus on youths.

Very likely [x ]
Fairly likely [ ]
Not very likely [ ]
Do not know [ ]

Very likely [ ]
Fairly likely [x ]
Not very likely [ ]
Do not know [ ]

Stay at a friend’s house [x ]
Do not go home yet [ ]

Why did you choose this?
To avoid them

Answer the door [ ]

Why did you choose this?
Because it could be someone I know

"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"

Latest

Trending

Trending