Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

love and marriage during the elizabethan era

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    hey there,

currently i'm doing a coursework on love and marriage in the elizabethan era based on two plays ; Much Ado About Nothing and Othello.

so,im comparing the four main couples in these plays on whether love exists in their relationships but i don't think it's a good idea to see it this way as love is very subjective.

i couldn't say that Hero loves Claudio as she has toooooooooo little lines.:mad:

and what Shakespeare wants to point out through these couples-criticisms on Elizabethan marriage.

HERO-CLAUDIO :confused::huff: :huff: :huff: :huff: :huff:
    BEATRICE-BENEDICK:cute:
    OTHELLO-DESDEMONA:cry:
    IAGO-EMILIA :unsure:

help.thanx
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cyrillus26)
    i couldn't say that Hero loves Claudio as she has toooooooooo little lines.:mad:
    Within the play, does it actually matter whether she loves him or not? Assuming she didn't (but for some reason or other agreed to marry him anyway), would the play's dynamics change at all, and would she or the other characters act any differently?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    Within the play, does it actually matter whether she loves him or not? Assuming she didn't (but for some reason or other agreed to marry him anyway), would the play's dynamics change at all, and would she or the other characters act any differently?
    that's exactly what i meant
    i cannot look it that way because it is not a strong argument on whether she loves him or not.
    and i need opinions on how should i compare all these couple,in what way.
    what do you think if i look at how honest they are with each other?

hero & Cl-conventional and prim -not honest
    bene & beatrc-not the usual elizabethan couple-know what the other is thinking-honest?
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cyrillus26)
    that's exactly what i meant
    i cannot look it that way because it is not a strong argument on whether she loves him or not.
    and i need opinions on how should i compare all these couple,in what way.
    what do you think if i look at how honest they are with each other?
    So you don't think the fact that you have a pair of romantic lovers with whom you can't actually tell with any degree of certainty whether they really love each other, says something about how love and marriage are represented in the play?
    bene & beatrc-not the usual elizabethan couple-know what the other is thinking-honest?
    Those are some sweeping claims you're making there. What exactly are you basing your views about "the usual Elizabethan couple" on, then, and what would a "usual Elizabethan couple" be like?
    And are Beatrice and Benedick really so honest with each other and "know what the other is thinking"? After all, they both spend most of the play being deluded about their feelings for each other and each of them is convinced that he (or she) knows more than the other - when really they don't...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    So you don't think the fact that you have a pair of romantic lovers with whom you can't actually tell with any degree of certainty whether they really love each other, says something about how love and marriage are represented in the play?

Those are some sweeping claims you're making there. What exactly are you basing your views about "the usual Elizabethan couple" on, then, and what would a "usual Elizabethan couple" be like?
    And are Beatrice and Benedick really so honest with each other and "know what the other is thinking"? After all, they both spend most of the play being deluded about their feelings for each other and each of them is convinced that he (or she) knows more than the other - when really they don't...
    wow
    you're good
    no,really really good
    seriously
    im freaking out
    i think i'll have to give this a looooooooooooong thought..

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: February 23, 2009
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered books, literature & poetry threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.