The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I was waiting for some friends on the sidewalk in front of a store on Saturday. As I was waiting a homeless kid (looked to be about 30) walked up and asked me for any spare change I had. I had none. As he was walking away I saw him light up a cigarette. That is why I'm harsh on homeless people.
TheBlindestPilot
A a self proclaimed patriot wouldn't it be one of your concerns to see that all British citizens are looked after?

Not at all, root out the weak, make the country strong! :sneakydevil:
Reply 42
mimimimi
I don't have enough money to give away to beggars, so I don't, but even if I did, I don't think I would.

I can't help but wonder how someone ends up homeless. If it wasn't a combination of drugs/drink/crime leading their family and friends to disown them, they must have had something severely unlucky happen to them, which is not all that likely. To seriously have absolutely NOWHERE to stay one must have done something pretty bad. This sounds lame but I just don't really understand how it happens unless the homeless person has made several mistakes in their life, in which case, the question is whether they deserve a second chance, and is £1 out of my pocket really going to make a difference?

What a depressing lack of empathy and compassion you possess. I hope that you don't consider yourself a moral person.
Reply 43
Crispin
What a depressing lack of empathy and compassion you possess. I hope that you don't consider yourself a moral person.

I know I don't possess empathy and compassion. Sorry.

Tell me exactly what difference £1 of my money will make to someone's life then? Really?
SomeNextPirate
Not at all, root out the weak, make the country strong! :sneakydevil:

And you make the country strong how? By neglecting the underclass? What would you do with them? Pretend they don't exist or have people take them away in the night and make the disappear?
Reply 45
D-Day
I was waiting for some friends on the sidewalk in front of a store on Saturday. As I was waiting a homeless kid (looked to be about 30) walked up and asked me for any spare change I had. I had none. As he was walking away I saw him light up a cigarette. That is why I'm harsh on homeless people.

That's good coming from an ex-smoker.
fletchinator
Often They're much more use to everyone else if they're housed and trying to find employment than begging on the streets.

Yeah! Lets give away more free money and encourage people to become even more lazy...
Crispin

That's not his point dumbass. His point is that his money would be wasted on another packet of fags.
mimimimi

Tell me exactly what difference £1 of my money will make to someone's life then? Really?

What if it was you and every other person that walked past gave 10p? What difference will that make to your bank balance? Really?

Bad argument.
Who said that?

Giving homeless people money won't solve anything. Investing in programs so that they get jobs that give something back to the community does.
I always give them my 10ps and 5ps especially. :yep:
Reply 51
TheBlindestPilot
What if it was you and every other person that walked past gave 10p? What difference will that make to your bank balance? Really?

Bad argument.

I'd rather have the 10p.
fletchinator
Who said that?

You.

fletchinator
They're much more use to everyone else if they're housed and trying to find employment than begging on the streets.

ie benefits.

But I agree on your community service point, I was going to say the same thing.
TheBlindestPilot
And you make the country strong how? By neglecting the underclass? What would you do with them? Pretend they don't exist or have people take them away in the night and make the disappear?

Make the country stronger by reducing the amount of benefits claimants who give nothing back to society.

In regards directly to homeless, make the country stronger socially and economically, without the unpleasant experience of being begged at....They could have the option of doing jobs that no one wants to do or needs. Cheap labour is in high demand after all.
Reply 54
mimimimi

That's a fairly pointless argument, along the same lines of "what difference does it make if I vote?". Do you bother voting, out of interest, or are the Conservatives too liberal for you nowadays?

It's the cumulative amount that matters. If we were all more charitable then there would be fewer people on the streets, or at least those on the streets would have a slightly better quality of life. It's not even so much your lack of charity that bothers me as your inability to excuse others for their mistakes. We're not all born middle-class, you know. There are reasons other than hedonism for drinking to excess and abusing drugs.
If some part of our taxes paid for these schemes of housing in exchange for community work I'd be all for it. I'd rather not have taxes spent on benefits that some people would use to further their own addictions. See, we agree :lovie2:
D R E A M Z
You.

ie benefits.

But I agree on your community service point, I was going to say the same thing.
Reply 56
OP your dad is one awesome guy!!. I dont have money to give away but I always buy the big issue. The one time I bought one of the vendors some food for himself along with some dog food for his pooch. He was so grateful too. Homeless people can get bad press, but there are times when you dont know if they are genuine, you hear so many stories about those professional beggars.
Reply 57
Crispin

1. Read
2. Comprehend
3. Post

You fail.
We had a good thread about homelessness the other day
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=824307

I think as a society we lack compassion in general, its fine for all you student types but if you ever get into trouble you'll feel it..
No offence but while your dad might have been lucky and helped out a begger who didnt have a drink/drug problem its highly unlikely. He was most likely taken for a mug... whats the use in feeding someone's habit?

I agree there are a lot of people out there who need help, but most of them dont really use the money given to help themselves, and dont do themselves any favours being rude when they ask for change and you dont have any on you...

Latest

Trending

Trending