The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I think all of those that are able to get into a big four firm will have decent grades and thus the ability to pass the ACA if they put the hours in.
Reply 41
Did anyone else sit FR this Monday? What a shocker... and it was a retake. I'm not feeling good vibes.
Reply 42
Tednol
Did anyone else sit FR this Monday? What a shocker... and it was a retake. I'm not feeling good vibes.

Yep. Bit of pain especially since I had already taken BS in the morning. My middle finger has been mashed up by the 5 hours of constant writing.

Didn't expect such a big UK GAAP v IFRS question to come up. Oh well. Managed to finish it anyway.

How did it go for you?
Reply 43
Like you, was shocked and pissed off by the massive IFRS v UK GAAP question. Doubly pissed off as I spent today at work looking at IFRS conversion stuff for a client so know exactly what I did wrong.

Other 3 questions were middle of the road. Ratio question is always an unknown quantity. Put my TURP ratio upside down. Otherwise nothing too out of the ordinary. I'd feel a lot more confident if Q2 wasn't such an arse!

Where did you sit it? I was in London for the first time, very different vibe to Oxford where I have sat my others. Hope BS went ok.
Reply 44
My strategy was always do the analysis/interps question last as its easy to overrun on your time and they are easy marks to pick up if you're running out of time.

You'll probably lose a mark for your TERP. No biggie.

I'm not sure if you know this, there are a few exam centres in London- there's one near Royal Oak/Bayswater, one at Liverpool St and one in Victoria. I was at the Royal Oak/Bayswater centre. Invigilators were useless. Had my hand up for about 10 minutes trying to get a wobbly table sorted.
Reply 45
ouch, a large uk gaap IFRS question would have been the final nail in the coffin in my FR exam. I passed it with 55% when I sat it, but never bothered learning the IFRS UK GAAP differences.

Always thought analysis questions were quite easy tbh.
is the ifrs currently used in uk or just america?
Reply 47
IFRS is pretty much used everywhere by publicly listed companies except for the US. They still use US GAAP but this is converging towards IFRS and some companies in the US are looking to implement it from next year.

In the UK, smaller companies still have the choice of using UK GAAP but cannot move back to UK GAAP once they've moved to IFRS.

Latest

Trending

Trending