The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

ArtGoblin
Well, is there any proof this 'fat chav' is reliant on benefits? The person who made this thought 'She's working class, she must be a chav, scrounging off the government.' This is my point actually, the word 'chav' is applied because of the way someone dresses/acts, and because they're working-class, and assumptions are made about them.

Get. over. it.
Reply 21
ArtGoblin
Well, is there any proof this 'fat chav' is reliant on benefits? The person who made this thought 'She's working class, she must be a chav, scrounging off the government.' This is my point actually, the word 'chav' is applied because of the way someone dresses/acts, and because they're working-class, and assumptions are made about them.

Get down off your high horse. 90%+ of chavs are complete scum, most working class people aren't chavs, the two certainly aren't mutually exclusive.
Elipsis
Get down off your high horse. 90%+ of chavs are complete scum, most working class people aren't chavs, the two certainly aren't mutually exclusive.

No, not complete scum, just disadvantaged. It partly to do with the labeling and connotations that go with the word 'chav' and the expectations that society has of that subculture. Ever heard of the self-fulfilling prophecy?
Reply 23
Haha, made me laugh.
Cowtipper
Well, she's trying to claim whiplash despite the vehicles barely making contact; that seems pretty synonymous with an aversion to work and a reliance on hand-outs to me.
Maybe you should do something about that enormous chip off your shoulder; it seems to be obscuring your objective vision.

Yes, because the man who wrote the report wrote it without any bias whatsoever??
ArtGoblin
No, not complete scum, just disadvantaged. It partly to do with the labeling and connotations that go with the word 'chav' and the expectations that society has of that subculture. Ever heard of the self-fulfilling prophecy?

Give it a rest love.

Your boring us all.
Reply 26
ArtGoblin

Disadvantaged isn't an excuse to behave in the way that they do. Believe it or not I lived on an estate with these people, there was very little difference between my house and theirs, the schools we went to were the same. I therefore do not accept any of your ridiculous notions that being disadvantages gives you a right to behave in the way that they consistently do. People aren't just chavs, they live a life style and dress accordingly. They are scum and because their scum friends dress in that way that is the fashion they follow.
Elipsis
Disadvantaged isn't an excuse to behave in the way that they do. Believe it or not I lived on an estate with these people, there was very little difference between my house and theirs, the schools we went to were the same. I therefore do not accept any of your ridiculous notions that being disadvantages gives you a right to behave in the way that they consistently do. People aren't just chavs, they live a life style and dress accordingly. They are scum and because their scum friends dress in that way that is the fashion they follow.

That's a big generalisation to make - the majority of so-called 'chavs' don't act in the way you imply, it's just that they're an easy target for people to blame. They dress and act that way to gain a status that society denies them, so yeah, they are disadvantaged in this way. As you say, it is a fashion, but don't all teenagers follow a certain subculture's fashion at some point?
Reply 28
ArtGoblin
That's a big generalisation to make - the majority of so-called 'chavs' don't act in the way you imply, it's just that they're an easy target for people to blame. They dress and act that way to gain a status that society denies them, so yeah, they are disadvantaged in this way. As you say, it is a fashion, but don't all teenagers follow a certain subculture's fashion at some point?

You follow the fashion that shows what you stand for... they stand for violence and general scum bag behavior so they dress that way. They have the rest of teenage apparrell to choose from, nobody makes them wear burbery. Society denies them nothing, they are given every hand up and hand out at the governments disposal and it's never enough.
olly_springs
stfu

lol that was the exact response in my head when I read ArtGoblin's chav ********.
Elipsis
You follow the fashion that shows what you stand for... they stand for violence and general scum bag behavior so they dress that way. They have the rest of teenage apparrell to choose from, nobody makes them wear burbery. Society denies them nothing, they are given every hand up and hand out at the governments disposal and it's never enough.

Okay, you obviously have an extremely narrow-narrowed view of these people, and are unable to see the reasons behind why people act the way they do. But to say that they have an equal chance of succeeding as everyone else is ridiculous. It is not chance (or laziness) that working-class pupils do worse at school than their middle-class counterparts. The school system is discriminative towards the working-class pupils, not intentionally, perhaps, but throughout their school life, working-class people are more likely to feel disillusioned with the whole system. As they are getting no respect from their teachers or other authority figures, they create their own subculture, which provides them with this status. And, no, there is not enough support for from the government, as for the majority of people, they 'die in the class they were born'. Not really fair, considering no-one chooses their background.
Reply 31
ArtGoblin
Okay, you obviously have an extremely narrow-narrowed view of these people, and are unable to see the reasons behind why people act the way they do. But to say that they have an equal chance of succeeding as everyone else is ridiculous. It is not chance (or laziness) that working-class pupils do worse at school than their middle-class counterparts. The school system is discriminative towards the working-class pupils, not intentionally, perhaps, but throughout their school life, working-class people are more likely to feel disillusioned with the whole system. As they are getting no respect from their teachers or other authority figures, they create their own subculture, which provides them with this status. And, no, there is not enough support for from the government, as for the majority of people, they 'die in the class they were born'. Not really fair, considering no-one chooses their background.

Bold is where you assume stuff. Argue with evidences.
lol! Excellent. ArtGoblin, you're just embarrassing yourself...
Sephirona
Bold is where you assume stuff. Argue with evidences.

Paul Willis found that some working-class boys develop a counter-school culture as they weren't getting respect from the school, instead they gained respect from their peers through disobeying school rules. This prepared them for life on the shop floor where similar traits would be necessary to get them through their boring jobs. And there is statistics to show that working class pupils do worse in their GCSEs and this is due to material and cultural deprivation, along with some other theories which I am not going to go into.
LearningMath
lol! Excellent. ArtGoblin, you're just embarrassing yourself...

And everyone else is proving themselves to be ignorant snobs. :wink:
Reply 35
ArtGoblin
Paul Willis found that some working-class boys develop a counter-school culture as they weren't getting respect from the school, instead they gained respect from their peers through disobeying school rules. This prepared them for life on the shop floor where similar traits would be necessary to get them through their boring jobs. And there is statistics to show that working class pupils do worse in their GCSEs and this is due to material and cultural deprivation, along with some other theories which I am not going to go into.

One study is like a drop of blood in an ocean. That doesn't make it a absolute fact , as you try to suggest.
Sephirona
One study is like a drop of blood in an ocean. That doesn't make it a absolute fact , as you try to suggest.

There has been other studies, which lead to similar conclusions. And there is the statistics, which can't be denied.
Reply 37
ArtGoblin

How do you propose schools that are majority working class even discriminate against working class pupils? Stop giving these idiots the excuses to behave the way they do. 100 years ago we would all be working in some kind of factory in horrible conditions, but we didn't just create havoc for those around use, we worked and got out. There is plenty of support from the government. There are a million and one schemes available, both financial and physical, that these people can use to better themselves. If anything it is the middle class students who recieve minimal help from the government. I'm sorry but I just won't accept that being born into slightly worse circumstances gives you a license to ruin everybody elses life.
Elipsis
How do you propose schools that are majority working class even discriminate against working class pupils? Stop giving these idiots the excuses to behave the way they do. 100 years ago we would all be working in some kind of factory in horrible conditions, but we didn't just create havoc for those around use, we worked and got out. There is plenty of support from the government. There are a million and one schemes available, both financial and physical, that these people can use to better themselves. If anything it is the middle class students who recieve minimal help from the government. I'm sorry but I just won't accept that being born into slightly worse circumstances gives you a license to ruin everybody elses life.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For the reasons I just said!
Reply 39
I hate fat chavs..

Latest

Trending

Trending