The Student Room Group

6th Year Options

Hey all,

I've to complete my options before March, and now I'm beginning to panic a bit. This year I took English, Maths, French, German and Modern Studies, and I have absolutely no idea what to do next year, bearing in mind I would like to do Business/Economics/Intl. Relations with Languages at university.

I am thinking of Higher Business Management and Information Systems and AH English and French. Would this be too much work? I could replace:

Business Management with Psychology

Information Systems with History or Computing or Biology

AH French with AH German, H Accounting, Physics, Economics

Although my heart's set on AH English :smile:

So, any opinions? I've heard InfoSys is a bit of a slog, but I don't have a Higher ICT subject, and I can't be bothered with Administration. Would Biology be better all-round - I'm not very good at sciences and I don't need them, but would one boost my chances of uni acceptance?

Thanks.
Reply 1
Business isn't too bad, I took it and am going to do a business related degree.

Its a good way to get a grasp of the basics, although most is kinda common sense in a way.
I would probably say AH English, French and German would be a good, solid set of subjects - but I have no idea what the workload would be like.

For your interests, I would recommend Info Sys over Computing. The latter is probably of little interest, certainly limited relevance, and if you haven't programmed before could go rather pear-shaped.

AH English, French + H Info Sys and Bus Man wouldn't be a bad combination at all and is probably a bit more relevant than the 3 AHs I mentioned earlier. Take what I say with a pinch of salt, though, since I'm not applying for a remotely similar course.
TheUnbeliever
I would probably say AH English, French and German would be a good, solid set of subjects - but I have no idea what the workload would be like.

FYI: It would be ok all year for French and German but then a complete nightmare over March when you do speaking tests.

Workload for English depends on what options you choose/have chosen for you: creative writing is a lot throughout the year, but less exam pressure; dissertation is also a biggie.

AH French is fine (apart from the speaking test!) as long as you're really good at French. Same goes for German, I presume.

Latest

Trending

Trending