The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
svidrigailov
In-jokes are great.

I like using them to alienate others.
Reply 41
Oh righty; that's why i was asking you guys :smile:

Can i ask what you guys got at GCSE and A levels?

I'm almost certain that they won't accept me:

1A* (classical civilization) 5As and 4Bs at GCSE
Predicted AAAB at AS level.
Oh and doing a GCSE in Greek atm.
Reply 42
Euripides

I have GCSE results so appalling I won't dare to mention them here. Despite that I got an offer of a B at A Level. (Got four As in the end: English Literature, History, History of Art, and Economics: yes, doss subjects). It really depends more on potential, performance at interview, &c. (Although I won't generalize too much about this in case I'm pounced upon for inaccuracy or distortion).
Reply 43
Euripides

GCSEs 8A* 5A 1B
A-level; A Physics, History, Psychology; B Chemistry
AS; Maths B

Offer was AAB with one A being from History + attendence at Latin summer school
Reply 44
cheers to both of you though.

puppy
Offer was AAB with one A being from History + attendence at Latin summer school

Ah, i might be able to manage that.

I knew about the Latin summer school thingy - i'm actually going to the JACT Greek one this summer, just for fun! :cool:
Reply 45
Euripides
cheers to both of you though.

Ah, i might be able to manage that.

I knew about the Latin summer school thingy - i'm actually going to the JACT Greek one this summer, just for fun! :cool:

We're going to Bryanston as well (they make us).
Reply 46
svidrigailov

Yeah, blackmail and weapons were involved. They threatened to take my diamond encrusted pony from me and throw it off the Bridge of Sighs- imagine the poor thing drowning inside Johnian walls!
Reply 47
svidrigailov

Really?! This july?

Which group are you gonna be in?

You may have a diamond encrusted pony but I, my friend, have a pony encrusted diamond! :cool:
Reply 48
Euripides
Really?! This july?

You may have a diamond encrusted pony but I, my friend, have a pony encrusted diamond! :cool:

Ugh, pony encrusted diamonds are so last season. Yeah we're going in July, no idea what groups we'll be in. The non-Eton group I should imagine. They try to keep us segregated lest we infect the other Classicists with retardation.
Reply 49
Euripides
Really?! This july?

We haven't done a word of Greek yet; but I imagine we'll be somewhere in the intermediate range by then. I think I put down intermediate something or other on my form.
Reply 50
*snigger*

If you haven't done Greek before you'll be in the beginner sets; so yeah, away from the others! :biggrin: But if you're gonna pick some up before July then, yeah, you're probably right - intermediate.

I should be in the highest intermediate set - my teacher told me to put that although i'm not so sure so will probably get moved down when i get there.

"non-Eton group" not only Etonians (love that word :tongue:) go there! I'm not!
Reply 51
puppy
They try to keep us segregated lest we infect the other Classicists with retardation.

A legitimate concern.
Reply 52
Euripides
*snigger*

If you haven't done Greek before you'll be in the beginner sets; so yeah, away from the others! :biggrin:

I should be in the highest intermediate set - my teacher told me to put that although i'm not so sure so will probably get moved down when i get there.

"non-Eton group" not only Etonians (love that word :tongue:) go there! I'm not!

Well, since we've pretty much done Latin, we'll be doing Greek in Easter Term, and I have supervisions on it all term; so we'll probably get most of Reading Greek done (we covered the entire bulk of Latin morphology and syntax in about four weeks last term; got to A Level standard in a few weeks).
Reply 53
svidrigailov
Well, since we've pretty much done Latin, we'll be doing Greek in Easter Term, and I have supervisions on it all term; so we'll probably get most of Reading Greek done (we covered the entire bulk of Latin morphology and syntax in about four weeks last term; got to A Level standard in a few weeks).

:eek: That's really really fast!

I'm not using the 'reading Greek' book (although i have it, strangely enough) but if you're going to have done most of 'reading Greek' maybe we'll be in the same group? cool. :smile:
Reply 54
Euripides
:eek: That's really really fast!

I'm not using the 'reading Greek' book (although i have it, strangely enough) but if you're going to have done most of 'reading Greek' maybe we'll be in the same group? cool. :smile:

Well, we had nothing better to do really.

I think Reading Greek is the textbook they work from at JACT summer schools (they used that awful Reading Latin at Wells last year).
Reply 55
I have to pick up biblical Greek... is it the same or similar in any way to classcist's Greek?
Reply 56
svidrigailov
Well, we had nothing better to do really.

I think Reading Greek is the textbook they work from at JACT summer schools (they used that awful Reading Latin at Wells last year).

Yeah it is; my brother went there 4 years ago and he used the book, which is how i've got it now and also why i'm going - he said it was the best summer of his life!

I'm still amazed that you got from not knowing any Latin to A level in like 4 weeks! :eek:
Reply 57
puppy
Ugh, pony encrusted diamonds are so last season. Yeah we're going in July, no idea what groups we'll be in. The non-Eton group I should imagine. They try to keep us segregated lest we infect the other Classicists with retardation.

Oh, I thought you were at least 2nd year for some reason :confused:

Anyway - results:

GCSE: 10A*, 2½A
A-Levels: AAAA (Biology, Chemistry, Maths, German)

My offer was AAA not including German (for Medicine at Clare)
Reply 58
Euripides

I'm still amazed that you got from not knowing any Latin to A level in like 4 weeks! :eek:

Not really that remarkable. I honestly don't know what they do in schools. The conjugations and declensions are for the most part logical, and repetitive, and lend themselves easily to memorization. Latin syntax, though often eccentric, isn't especially difficult, especially once you grasp the basic notions of temporality, causality, and perspective (all those damn conditionals, desideratives, concessives, cum-clauses, dum-clauses, &c.).
Reply 59
JHutcher
I have to pick up biblical Greek... is it the same or similar in any way to classcist's Greek?

Koine Greek? Not as difficult (or elegant) as Classical Greek; a demotic, and not a literary, language.

Latest

Trending

Trending