The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Latayah
Considering the level at A-Level how hard is it compared to degree level (Str8 LLB degree?)
Im a bit worried i wnt be able to cope? I done alright in my law modules, n i find it really interesting but i am doing Criminal law at the mo!
:confused:

I won't lie, undergraduate level law is a whole different world from A-level law. A lot more reading, a lot more complicated principles, a lot more pressure. A-level law is very much about remembering the very basic principles which govern a certain area, and perhaps learning parrot-fashion a couple of criticisims and reforms. Undergraduate level law simply goes into the legal rules in a lot more depth, and very sophisticated analytical skills are often required (as you will usually be required to answer at least one analytical question in an exam) for which requires significant wider-reading.

However, saying that it is by no means impossible. I think anyone can succeed in law as an academic subject given they put the effort in. You can't just expect to do give the prescribed reading a quick glance and expect to come out with a 2:1. It requires a lot of reading and re-reading, noting down what you don't understand and asking tutors about it, and most of all patience. I think every law undergrad will tell you there is a point where it all just 'clicks' and from then on you learn to think like a lawyer - usually half-way through or towards the end of the first year. It's like subconciously your brain has been understanding all the things you thought you didn't understand, but has only just decided now to let you in on the secret!! Before then it can often seem daunting and like you're not going anywhere or you're just not understanding what is expected of you. But, given the required effort, it will come to you.

Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 2
Latayah
Considering the level at A-Level how hard is it compared to degree level (Str8 LLB degree?)
Im a bit worried i wnt be able to cope? I done alright in my law modules, n i find it really interesting but i am doing Criminal law at the mo!
:confused:

The only thing hard about learning law it is staying awake.
Reply 3
Its hard. I didn't do A Level law so can't talk about that but I have a degree in English which i did before i started my law conversion. I got a 2.1 in English and I can say that to achieve the same in law I'm probably doing 5 times as much work, and English is a reading degree so that wasn't a walk in the park.
Reply 4
kingslaw
I won't lie, undergraduate level law is a whole different world from A-level law. A lot more reading, a lot more complicated principles, a lot more pressure. A-level law is very much about remembering the very basic principles which govern a certain area, and perhaps learning parrot-fashion a couple of criticisims and reforms. Undergraduate level law simply goes into the legal rules in a lot more depth, and very sophisticated analytical skills are often required (as you will usually be required to answer at least one analytical question in an exam) for which requires significant wider-reading.

However, saying that it is by no means impossible. I think anyone can succeed in law as an academic subject given they put the effort in. You can't just expect to do give the prescribed reading a quick glance and expect to come out with a 2:1. It requires a lot of reading and re-reading, noting down what you don't understand and asking tutors about it, and most of all patience. I think every law undergrad will tell you there is a point where it all just 'clicks' and from then on you learn to think like a lawyer - usually half-way through or towards the end of the first year. It's like subconciously your brain has been understanding all the things you thought you didn't understand, but has only just decided now to let you in on the secret!! Before then it can often seem daunting and like you're not going anywhere or you're just not understanding what is expected of you. But, given the required effort, it will come to you.

Hope that helps :smile:

:eek: In which case, I'm very happy that the first year does not count towards the final degree classification! :smile:

But hopefully I'll understand enough of the course in order to get a high enough grade to have a decent application for vacation placements. :smile:
I hope it clicks sooner rather than later for me :redface:
Latayah

To be honest I find comparing GCE 'A' level to LLB rather dubious. Whilst a degree is a lot harder, you have more time to spend on that subject to grasp the subject and have better resources to do so. University life could enhance your academia too. Spending hours and hours of 'A' levels might not bring the best out of you if you have no time for other things in life, I experienced this personally.
Reply 7
kingslaw
A lot more reading, a lot more complicated principles, a lot more pressure.

And a lot of afternoon visits to Starbucks if Bristol is anything to go by.
Reply 8
timeofyourlife
And a lot of afternoon visits to Starbucks if Bristol is anything to go by.

The caffeine's essential to cope with the pressure :biggrin:
Reply 9
kingslaw
The caffeine's essential to cope with the pressure :biggrin:

hmmm. Case closed, I think. :wink:
Reply 10
it seems as though many ppl (uni counsellors, teachers) encourage students to do history at a level if they want to read law at uni. How similar are these two subjects in terms of levels of analysis, essay writing skills etc...???
Reply 11
can i be bad at history...and good at law??
Reply 12
Its nothing like law in my experience. Doing English and history is pretty good for the analytical and essay writing side of the subject but they aren't at all similar.
:bawling: this is depressing

*sigh*
viviki
Its hard. I didn't do A Level law so can't talk about that but I have a degree in English which i did before i started my law conversion. I got a 2.1 in English and I can say that to achieve the same in law I'm probably doing 5 times as much work, and English is a reading degree so that wasn't a walk in the park.

I'm thinking about doing a conversion to Law after my degree. Did you do the conversion at the same uni? Also, how do you go about it? Do you ask the admissions, Professor?
Reply 15
LadyNamibia
can i be bad at history...and good at law??

lol, I suck at History big time! :redface:

Is law anything like maths?

I found quite a lot of uni's ask for top grades in maths up to GCSE level yet often nothing in English or Hist!
I think that Critical Thinking (if you're lucky enough to be offered it) has a lot to do with law - breaking down arguments, seeing what's wrong with them and constructing much sounder ones for yourself. I mean, who wouldn't love to stand up in court and announce "Objection! Tu Quoque!" (it's a flaw...I think...)
Reply 17
Cellardore
I'm thinking about doing a conversion to Law after my degree. Did you do the conversion at the same uni? Also, how do you go about it? Do you ask the admissions, Professor?

No had 2 yrs out then found the courses through the law society website.
I'm doing a 2yr MA at Sheffield.
I had considered Sheffield for my undergrad which is why I decided on it for postgrad.

For a CPE you need to apply through Central applications board.
For a 2yr senior status law degree (LLB) you need to apply through ucas
For a masters you can normally apply direct to the institutions.
Reply 18
tiantang
Is law anything like maths?

It is to a limited extent; see my reply to an earlier thread here:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=1787177#post1787177
Lillith Grimore
I think that Critical Thinking (if you're lucky enough to be offered it) has a lot to do with law - breaking down arguments, seeing what's wrong with them and constructing much sounder ones for yourself. I mean, who wouldn't love to stand up in court and announce "Objection! Tu Quoque!" (it's a flaw...I think...)

Ah, Critical Thinking. Better to sneak it off in to an AS course than actually integrate it with the rest of the school curriculum. :biggrin: