The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 1
Hey yeah you would get in with those grades most likely.

A point on the whole advanced highers thing I think is that although they don't specifically ask for them, I know myself I've benefited tons from doing adv. Chemistry before I got here. Having been over the stuff once before really helped me to settle in a bit, and meant that the extra stuff in first year nicely fitted in with the missing stuff from adv. higher (you do learn some new stuff, some you'll have covered at school).

Another thing I found is that even though I didn't do too good in adv. maths, doing that as a choice in 6th year helped me do the maths courses you have to do until Christmas at Uni (if you're doing chemistry, think if you do well in adv. higher though you can miss them out?)

So although they don't ask for them, I think its a good idea to do your best at them if possible as it only helps (plus if you enjoy Chemistry as a subject then why not).

And I really enjoy Chemistry, the staff are pretty helpful, the lectures cover a lot of stuff (not had a rubbish lecturer this year in Chemistry really) and the labs work out well/keep your practical skills going. My favourite thing is probably the tutorials, you alternate between a postgrad and another senior teaching staff member. Despite there being 10ish people listed in my timeslot, theres usually only 4 of us and its a brilliant time to ask questions/have in informal chat with people about stuff you may be struggling with.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh