The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The college doesn't really matter. Check which has the most fellows. But really, you're going to the same lectures as every other college.

Trinity has a rep for Maths because they take so many mathmos.
Reply 2
atom smasher
Is there a college which has a reputation for particularly good Classics results/undergrads? (eg:biggrin:owning - law, Trinity- maths, Christ's - med). If so, which one?

I don't know that any have a particular reputation for Classics results, as such. Trinity, St John's, and King's, have been, and continue to be, home to the most eminent and distinguished classicists, and if you go to any of them you will likely be supervised, even in your first year, by world-renowned experts. They also have well-stocked Classics departments in their libraries (John's and Trinity especially), the importance of which, given the two-day lending period at the Classics faculty, can't be overstated.
Reply 3
atom smasher
Is there a college which has a reputation for particularly good Classics results/undergrads? (eg:biggrin:owning - law, Trinity- maths, Christ's - med). If so, which one?

Who told you that about Christ's and Medicine? :rolleyes:

Classics is a much smaller subject than any of the others you've mentioned, so I don't think there are any colleges which have a specially outstanding reputation for it. Therefore, same advice as for everyone else - go for somewhere you like.
Reply 4
i thought it would be corpus christi, cos it's in Latin :biggrin:. But I suppose you're right, college compatability prob is more important. I was thinking about Trinity but it is generally oversubscribed for everything. Oh well....
Reply 5
Wicked thread - i was thinking of asking just the same thing! :top:

svidrigailov
I don't know that any have a particular reputation for Classics results, as such. Trinity, St John's, and King's, have been, and continue to be, home to the most eminent and distinguished classicists, and if you go to any of them you will likely be supervised, even in your first year, by world-renowned experts. They also have well-stocked Classics departments in their libraries (John's and Trinity especially), the importance of which, given the two-day lending period at the Classics faculty, can't be overstated.

Is that Trinity college or trinity hall?

"two-day lending period" What's that - how long you can have a book for?

Clare has Paul Cartledge who's pretty good; i was researching colleges and saw his name, knew it from somewhere before finally realizing that i had his book 2 metres away from me!
Reply 6
Euripides
Wicked thread - i was thinking of asking just the same thing! :top:

Is that Trinity college or trinity hall?

"two-day lending period" What's that - how long you can have a book for?

Clare has Paul Cartledge who's pretty good; i was researching colleges and saw his name, knew it from somewhere before finally realizing that i had his book 2 metres away from me!

Trinity College (I'd have said Tit Hall for the other).

Yes, you can only have a book out for two days at a time; quite annoying really, and only three books at a time. That's why it's quite important to have well-stocked library in an essay crisis.
Reply 7
svidrigailov
Trinity College (I'd have said Tit Hall for the other).

Yes, you can only have a book out for two days at a time; quite annoying really, and only three books at a time. That's why it's quite important to have well-stocked library in an essay crisis.

tit hall! :biggrin:

Ah, 2 days sucks! ok so a bigger college would be better; i have a load of classics books already actually so kinda like my own library
Reply 8
By the way, I'm assuming that the competitiveness of Trinity is almost negligent for a subject like Classics. Is this the case?

And what do people think about Christ's, Corpus Christi and Pembroke for Classics?

Classics is a much smaller subject than any of the others you've mentioned

why does no-one want to do Classics? It has the perfect combination of language, literature, history, philosophy, art, architecture, archaelogy, philology and a few other -ologies, and you know it's going to have the best of that because it's survived 2000+ years :biggrin:
Reply 9
atom smasher

I thought Caius was the "Medic" college?
Reply 10
atom smasher
By the way, I'm assuming that the competitiveness of Trinity is almost negligent for a subject like Classics. Is this the case?

And what do people think about Christ's, Corpus Christi and Pembroke for Classics?

why does no-one want to do Classics? It has the perfect combination of language, literature, history, philosophy, art, architecture, archaelogy, philology and a few other -ologies, and you know it's going to have the best of that because it's survived 2000+ years :biggrin:

Competitiveness: yes and no. Yes, in the strictest sense: you aren't competing against that many applicants; no, classicists tend to be a fairly self-selecting group, and what competition there is will be good.

There are various reasons no one wants to do Classics: it's barely taught in schools at all; those who were taught it think of it as a schoolboyish thing, to be moved beyond at university; it lacks the immediate usefulness of the modern languages; people are on the whole much too utilitarian or philistine to pursue anything for its own sake. It's also quite an expensive arts course to take by comparison with, say, philosophy or English: dictionaries, syntaxes, grammars, and commentaries all cost far too much.
Reply 11
atom smasher

Just go to Trinity then you can laugh your ass off when everyone is fighting over the books in the Faculty and you have them all in the College Library. Also you don't have to trek to so many places for supervisions. Also, the big plus with Trinity is they lend you your own OLD and Liddle and Scott- so that saves you at least £300.
Reply 12
:rolleyes: That certainly seems better than Clare which is where i was thinking...
Reply 13
Euripides
:rolleyes: That certainly seems better than Clare which is where i was thinking...

Clare's crap
Reply 14
Really?

I'm a shy type of person and i guess that Trinity just seemed much too big and stuff...but i'm liking the library there and also St. Johns more now.

I really have no idea to be honest :redface:
Reply 15
puppy
Clare's crap

Clare is very fluffy, and happy, and huggy, and claustrophobic, and passive-aggressive (possibly projecting). I know people driven half-mad by the togetherness of it all; and others who couldn't cope anywhere else, especially at a big scary college like John's or Trinity.

If you need friendship thrust upon you, then Clare is the way to go.
Reply 16
Euripides
Really?

I'm a shy type of person and i guess that Trinity just seemed much too big and stuff...but i'm liking the library there and also St. Johns more now.

I really have no idea to be honest :redface:

It really depends how shy. Clare, Sidney Sussex, colleges like that are probably quite good if you're shy (Clare is the "friendly college" after all).
Reply 17
The Classics library might only lend for 2 days at a time, but you can renew books online loads of times on the University library catalogue, Newton. Another, perhaps surprising, College to research for a Classics application is Churchill, as it seem to have a fantastically well-stocked Classics library section, according to Newton.
Reply 18
svidrigailov
It really depends how shy. Clare, Sidney Sussex, colleges like that are probably quite good if you're shy (Clare is the "friendly college" after all).

er......really really really shy.

I turn bright red everytime i do any kind of presentation in class :frown:

I dunno though - i figure that i'll just talk to people at greek summer school and get their points of view and stuff.
Reply 19
Michelle2
The Classics library might only lend for 2 days at a time, but you can renew books online loads of times on the University library catalogue, Newton. Another, perhaps surprising, College to research for a Classics application is Churchill, as it seem to have a fantastically well-stocked Classics library section, according to Newton.

Yes, although if you're scatterbrained like me you'll end up with lots of fines. Of course because of the short lending period, requests are more of a problem (especially if everyone on your course needs the same books). Selwyn also seems to have a fairly good collection of Classics books.

Latest

Trending

Trending