The Student Room Group

Working And Travelling 2009/10

Hiiiiii

After applying to Uni and giving out poor answers at the interviews, I've decided to scrap the idea, go travelling and apply next year!

I know a lot of people go away september/october time, although I will be sorting out my ucas then! I'm guessing i also have to wait around for interviews etc?

I'm hoping to go to Australia, New Zealand etc but work there for a month or gain to get some $$$$$$$$$$$.

Just wondering if theres any other option of sorting out my Ucas early so I can get outaa hereeee? Also any advice on who to go with, which cities to go to, where to work, where to stay etc

Any info would be greatly appreciated as I need to start planning!!!

Rebecca90
Hiiiiii

After applying to Uni and giving out poor answers at the interviews, I've decided to scrap the idea, go travelling and apply next year!

I know a lot of people go away september/october time, although I will be sorting out my ucas then! I'm guessing i also have to wait around for interviews etc?

I'm hoping to go to Australia, New Zealand etc but work there for a month or gain to get some $$$$$$$$$$$.

Just wondering if theres any other option of sorting out my Ucas early so I can get outaa hereeee? Also any advice on who to go with, which cities to go to, where to work, where to stay etc

Any info would be greatly appreciated as I need to start planning!!!

Well I've heard visas to work in Australia/New Zealand are easier to get compared to America. IMO a month is a bit short- when you factor in you'd be paying for flights and accommo you wouldnt make much money on top. So a few companies to get visas through are Bunac (this is quite reputable), Real Gap (I've heard this is expensive), CCUSA and Twin Work Abroad (http://www.workandvolunteer.com even though it is expensive it does come with a guranteed job BUT it's 4 months+). Good luck.
Also they have groups on facebook so they can help you with where to stay.
Do you have money already? I've done that this year. Except I'm working from September till April, and then travelling for about 6-7 weeks.
Reply 3
Rebecca90

Although going to Aus and NZ to live/work is an awesome experience, be aware that you probably won't make much money, unless you have really specific skills and so would be able to get a well paid job. As an 18 year traveller in NZ (which is where I went to live/work for 10 months during my gap year) you several options -

live in a city such as Auckland, Wellington etc, and do a temp job like you would in England, like receptionist or admin etc

or do more traveller orientated jobs, like working in hostels or resorts as a cleaner or receptionist for your accommodation, fruit picking, and other casual work.

Or if you go during winter, you could work at one of the ski resorts.

You could also think about WWOOFing, which is 'Willing Workers on Organic Farms' which is huge in NZ....the idea is you work 2 hours a day on an organic farm (which could be anything from a yoga retreat which grows organic veg to a proper working farm) in exchange for your room and board.

Any specific ques, just quote or pm me :smile:

Latest