The Student Room Group

Oxford Chemistry Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Cpchem, I wonder if you're Richard, if not he was one of the guys who did get in so you'd know him anyway.

Molière: All the colleges do to an extent as we all have to pass the same exams. I've found the physical chemistry the hardest so far, but I'm hanging in there so it shows A level physics isn't essential if you catch up in the holidays. I think the college preferences are expressed later on when students choose supplementarys and part II options. I was recently asking my old maths tutor for advice who's doing a PhD at Balliol, and he said in his 2nd year all of the Balliol chemists took the Quantum Chemistry supplementary, which is remarkable considering how hard it's rumoured to be.

As for Corpus Christi it's funny you should ask as they've had 2 people drop off the course this year. If anything though that's a coincidence as colleges have much more in common than not.
Reply 61
I understand what you mean, but I think that certain Colleges place a lot more emphasis on certain pre-requistes than other Colleges. For example, certain Colleges (e.g. Trinity) have a lot more emphasis on Mathematics as a lot of the tutorials will work around that.
Reply 62
I see. That's 2.5 applicants to a place. That's got to be one of the highest in the University, no?
Reply 63
Not at all! I won't chose a College just because of the low statistics. If I like the College, then I'll go for it. I'm more interested in the College and the tutorials rather than how many get in.

Merton also has a very high application rate - 18 applicants for 6 places. I've been reading a lot into Biochemistry also. Any idea what application rates are like at Christ Church, Exeter, Jesus and St. Peter's for Biochemistry?

I guess it's really down to Chemistry or Biochemistry now. Japanese is just not what I'd really like to do. I want to stay in science.

In terms of my A-Level choices, I think Biochemistry suits me a lot more. The lack of A-level Physics really seems to be a big deal as not many Colleges really take in candidates without it. The interview questions also seem to involve quite a lot of Physics.

Biochemistry seems to offer a lot more practicals too. I really like the idea of that. I don't mind spending a lot of time in the Labs! Chemistry seems like a very
theoretical course.
Reply 64
gruffyddd - no, I'm not Richard, but, yeah, I obviously know him! As far as quantum supp goes - as a general rule, it's something that every Balliol chemist does - occasionally, one person will decide that they'd rather not (me in my year!), and we tend to have to justify our choice if we'd rather not do it. We're pretty physchem obcessed - 6/8 of those just starting part II are going to the PTCL, with one each to organic and inorganic. In the year that's just left, I'm pretty sure that all eight did a physical or theoretical part II.
Who is the physical tutor at Hugh's? I know that you get Claire Vallance next year, but who's taught you so far? I'm quite envious that you get Malcolm for organic - such a legend...

Siddhartha - there's nothing wrong with admitting that you don't know something at interview, after all, everybody covers different material in their own order, so not everybody, say, has even seen anything aromatic by the time interviews arrive.
Reply 65
cpchem
gruffyddd - no, I'm not Richard, but, yeah, I obviously know him! As far as quantum supp goes - as a general rule, it's something that every Balliol chemist does - occasionally, one person will decide that they'd rather not (me in my year!), and we tend to have to justify our choice if we'd rather not do it. We're pretty physchem obcessed - 6/8 of those just starting part II are going to the PTCL, with one each to organic and inorganic. In the year that's just left, I'm pretty sure that all eight did a physical or theoretical part II.
Who is the physical tutor at Hugh's? I know that you get Claire Vallance next year, but who's taught you so far? I'm quite envious that you get Malcolm for organic - such a legend...

Siddhartha - there's nothing wrong with admitting that you don't know something at interview, after all, everybody covers different material in their own order, so not everybody, say, has even seen anything aromatic by the time interviews arrive.

I'm sorry if that came across as slightly patronising. I meant that people ought not to give up in the interview but instead try their best drawing the mechanism, even if it doesn't result. I had barely studied that mechanism (6 months prior to the interview) so in my first attempt I made the sulphuric acid attacking nitric acid go back to sulphuric acid and nitric acid (instead of yielding the electrophile which then reacts with benzene) this at the amusement of the tutor. But I tried again and got it right. Just don't say you cannot without trying.
Reply 66
ixivxivi
I think the only thing they really mind you not having for Chem is Maths A-level or equivalent (reason I couldn't consider it), but I could be wrong. (and I managed to talk about electron orbitals and electromagnetic rays in one of my Biochem interviews...So you're not necessarily safe there either. (although it ought to be said; I got to choose the topic of that one...:redface: ))

So you applied for Biochemistry to Corpus Christi? What was the interview like? Do you remember any of the questions? Were the tutors nice? Where are you now?

Sorry about all the questions lol.
Reply 67
Well done! My biggest worry is that I already have a B at A-Level Biology. There's a reason for this as I was very sick during one of the papers and did miserably, even though I got 100% on the options papers. Cut a long story short, I'm now chosing between Chemistry and Biochemistry:

If I do Chemistry, I'll do A-Levels in: Physics, Mathematics and Chemistry.
If I apply for Biochemistry, I'll do A-Levels in: Biology (re-sit), Mathematics AS and Chemistry.

What do you all suggest?
cpchem
gruffyddd - no, I'm not Richard, but, yeah, I obviously know him! As far as quantum supp goes - as a general rule, it's something that every Balliol chemist does - occasionally, one person will decide that they'd rather not (me in my year!), and we tend to have to justify our choice if we'd rather not do it. We're pretty physchem obcessed - 6/8 of those just starting part II are going to the PTCL, with one each to organic and inorganic. In the year that's just left, I'm pretty sure that all eight did a physical or theoretical part II.Who is the physical tutor at Hugh's? I know that you get Claire Vallance next year, but who's taught you so far? I'm quite envious that you get Malcolm for organic - such a legend...

Not all, I was in a lab group with a Balliol chemist and I did mine in the ICL, I also know another did a biological-type project.
Reply 69
Prof. Jennifer Green is our physchem tutor, but she went on sabbatical for the 2nd & 3rd term, so we had an awful stand-in tutor. Without wanting to name and shame, she was this French postdoc from the CRL who had a physics not chemistry degree, and was constantly confusing us with her weird marking. An example is her "correcting" us by saying that the enthalpy of combustion is +ve, or that an ionisation energy is -ve.

Luckily we won't be having her again, and will either have Prof Green or Clare Vallance next year. Like you said Malcolm is a legend and was a great tutor because he'd never put anyone down even if they asked ridiculous questions. However AFAIK he's only really qualified to teach 1st years, so from now on we might be having Dr Magnus Walter.

Speaking of legends Balliol had its own in John Jones. I'll never forget that chirality lecture where he began by walking onto the stage with his hands in the air to say "These are my hands; they look the same but they are mirror images!" and everyone started applauding.
Reply 70
Well, our physchem tutor is also a physicist - but we're training him in all things chemical. If you do quantum supp next year, you'll see him (Dr. William Barford) in action, he's doing the lectures on perturbation theory, apparently.
Unfortunately, we'll not be seeing any more of JJ as a tutor, he's on sabbatical all year, and retiring at the end of it. Mind you, we still have Prof. O'Hare of the exploding cotton wool to keep us happy!

dancingqueen - you told me! All of the fourth years I could think of where PTCL based, but then again, it's pretty rare to see any fourth years around in college.
Reply 71
Is it worth to consider the Oxford-Princeton exchange in Part II? I really want to go.
Also, is it possible to write a master thesis on an entirely theoretical topic? Like if you had an original idea you wanted to pursue is that feasible, even though it does not involve lab work?
Reply 72
The exchange thing puts quite a limit on the research groups you can apply to (the Dilworth or Wong groups in the ICL are the only ones that offer the exchange).
As far as theoretical part IIs, there are always a few. Mind you, it's a long way off yet. You might just find that your preferences change entirely over the first three years (I know a few people that's happened to!)
Siddhartha
Is it worth to consider the Oxford-Princeton exchange in Part II? I really want to go.
Also, is it possible to write a master thesis on an entirely theoretical topic? Like if you had an original idea you wanted to pursue is that feasible, even though it does not involve lab work?

Lab work is so fun though. This year I got to play around with arsenic lots and lots.
Reply 74
Yeah, I can't imagine doing a theoretical part II, surely the whole point of chemistry is getting to play with poisonous/explosive/other dangerous stuff...
Reply 75
I would never have classed myself as an Oxford applicant but following my very lucky AS results I owe it to myself to apply! I was very lucky in Biology as I was on the grade boundary for an A (240/300 :eek: ). My GCSEs would be classed as poor by Oxford (6A 4B 3C) but I have a lot to write in my personal statement. I really want to drop Biology next year as I hate it but will a fourth A level really strengthen my application enough to warrant me taking it next year? If I drop it I should get 3A at A level but taking it may cause my grades to drop due to the workload. :confused:
Reply 76
Just incase you've not come across it (3 pages back in the Oxford forum, bit silly for something a week old..), there was a thread on this here.

I'll be doing Biochemistry there, but that's not awfully useful - I can't really answer your Q
Reply 77
Thank you for the response. I'm also wondering what college to apply for. What do you think!
Reply 78
Hey guys!

Sorry if this has already been asked but I'm thinking about doing Chemistry at Oxford. However, I do Bio, Chem, Hist and Maths and I want to drop Biology to continue doing Chemistry, History and Maths to A2 (and Further Maths AS).

Reading this thread has made me completely and utterly doubt the chances of an offer. I have decent GCSES (5.5A*s and 4As) but 3 of my 4As were in science subjects (Bio, Physics and Maths) although I think I've proved myself in Bio and Maths with As at AS. I do Mechanics in Maths so i don't know if this offers me any advantage...

Help?! Was Thinking of applying to Keble.
Reply 79
you did the same as levels as me !! but im dropping history instead which i think is maybe a wiser choice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending