The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
And I have fixed the hyperlinks for references 5,6 and 7.
Reply 41
Paulwhy
That is correct. But I think NesQuik was referring to my comments about why unis are offering to let in students if they get the typical offer rather than just making them an offer.

Exactly, If you are going to tell somebody that they will possibly get an offer in august, would it not make more sense to give them an offer now. Maybe they just lied, hmmm :sly:
Sorry to rain on the parade; however, this is worth reading.
Reply 43
Guessmydogsname
Sorry to rain on the parade; however, this is worth reading.

Is it already a month since that article came out?
(I meant to comment on it previosuly).

For me the article gives some of the picture but not all of it. The outcome it describes of there not being much supply to Adjustment could happen. But it may not. A fuller discussion of the issues involved (as I have attempted to do) requries:
i) the acknowlegement of current existing imformal clearing where unis make PQO (Post Qualification Offers) to free Agents and reject students who applied to them but missed their grades.
ii) the consideration that with the introduction of Adjustment unis may decide to extend the use of PQO.
Reply 44
Updated the closing date from 31st August to 2nd September:
How long is Adjustment open for?
"The Adjustment Period will run from 20 August (A level publication date) until 31 August 2009. The system will allow applicants who have achieved better exam results than their offer, to register an ‘intention to adjust’ on UCAS applicant portal. Applicants then have five calendar days to approach new universities with their grades."
Loughborough
So I think that means that interested students have till 25th August to approach universities and that universities have till 31st August to reply.
edit: This is the latest (not publically available) UCAS advise on dates:
Adjustment is available from A level results day (20 August 2009) until 2 September 2009.
An applicant's individual Adjustment period starts:
when their conditional firm (CF) choice changes to unconditional firm (UF) or 20 August 2009, whichever is the later.

From this time if they want to use Adjustment they have five calendar days (five 24 hour periods) to register and secure an alternative course.

The Track 'Choices' page shows when an applicant's Adjustment period ends. If they become eligible to use Adjustment less than five calendar days before 2 September, they will have the remaining time before then to find an alternative place and have it confirmed by the HEI. For example, if they become UF on 31 August they will have three days to use the process.
Reply 45
Paulwhy - thank you for all the efforts you have put in to making Adjustment a little clearer. I have a question regards my situation: I have a "CF" offer from Aston for the equivalent of BBB (300 tariff points), but I am actually sitting a total of 3 ADDITIONAL exams that I fully expect will give me >540 tariff points at the end of the day. So, my question is, if I get the BBB + an additional CCC (worst case scenario), in your opinion would I be able to use Adjustment?
sarafin
Paulwhy - thank you for all the efforts you have put in to making Adjustment a little clearer. I have a question regards my situation: I have a "CF" offer from Aston for the equivalent of BBB (300 tariff points), but I am actually sitting a total of 3 ADDITIONAL exams that I fully expect will give me >540 tariff points at the end of the day. So, my question is, if I get the BBB + an additional CCC (worst case scenario), in your opinion would I be able to use Adjustment?

top unis don't work by points, they work by grades.
Reply 47
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
top unis don't work by points, they work by grades.

:ditto:
Reply 48
maybe I should have been clearer: My offer is for BBB, but I will actually end up with 6 grades. If I can achieve, say BBBCCC, would that enable me to use ADJUSTMENT and try to effectively "upgrade" somewhere else?
Reply 49
sarafin
maybe I should have been clearer: My offer is for BBB, but I will actually end up with 6 grades. If I can achieve, say BBBCCC, would that enable me to use ADJUSTMENT and try to effectively "upgrade" somewhere else?

The rules for what count as over performance have not been (and may never be!) publisched. However all the current examples are for 3 A-levl c.f. 3 A-level cases. But if you do get BBBCCC then Adjustment is certainly an option.

What subjects are studying at A-level?
And why so many!!
What subject are you aiming to do at uni?
and are you really in miami?
Reply 50
It's going to depend on how Aston has framed the offer. If they've said 300 points from any three A-levels, the fact that you end up with six won't mean you have exceeded the terms of their offer unless you have over 300 points from your three highest scorers. Equally if they've said 300 points from three specific A-levels the fact that you have extra points from three others does not mean you have exceeded the offer.

If they've just said 300 points then you will of course exceed the offer with over 500 points, but as others have said, the top universities tend not to make points offers. Aston is a very good university and I can't imagine anywhere 'better' - namely the bigger and more high-profile names - taking you with BBBCCC; these universities would rather have three excellent A-levels than six middling ones.
Paulwhy
And I have fixed the hyperlinks for references 5,6 and 7.

so cambridge is part of Adjustment :confused:
sarafin

as i said before, top unis work by grades not points. They couldn't care less if you got CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC and had however many thousands of ucas points that gives you. They want to see grades of ABB-AAA for you to "upgrade". If by upgrade you mean go to another uni then perhaps you can since you excede points but if by upgrade you mean go to a better uni, getting BBBCCC won't get you into a better uni.
am i the only one who feels that this adjustment system will end up failing?

The "bottom" unis most likely not be oversubscribed but the whole idea of upgrading is going up to a better uni so nobody will upgrade to the "bottom" unis.

The "middle" unis will probably end up being oversubscribed. Imo this could be because these unis tend to be the main insurance options for those going to top unis, and those giving offers probably know this and so give out more offers to make sure they have enough students coming through come results day, and not everybody meets offers and those who have insured them will end up over subscribing the course. Take birmingham for example, i wouldn't be surprised if that has become the insurance for a large number going to top unis considering it's league table position this year and a big handful of people are inevitably going to miss their offers.

Top unis are picky and require more than just A levels. Can they really make decisions within 11 days and take into account PS, GCSEs and what ever other factors they have in place. Take warwick for example, they took ******* forever to get replys through. I doubt they can get through a a group of people who have performed better than expected.
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
am i the only one who feels that this adjustment system will end up failing?

The "bottom" unis most likely not be oversubscribed but the whole idea of upgrading is going up to a better uni so nobody will upgrade to the "bottom" unis.

The "middle" unis will probably end up being oversubscribed. Imo this could be because these unis tend to be the main insurance options for those going to top unis, and those giving offers probably know this and so give out more offers to make sure they have enough students coming through come results day, and not everybody meets offers and those who have insured them will end up over subscribing the course. Take birmingham for example, i wouldn't be surprised if that has become the insurance for a large number going to top unis considering it's league table position this year and a big handful of people are inevitably going to miss their offers.

Top unis are picky and require more than just A levels. Can they really make decisions within 11 days and take into account PS, GCSEs and what ever other factors they have in place. Take warwick for example, they took ******* forever to get replys through. I doubt they can get through a a group of people who have performed better than expected.

I totally agree, I don't think many people will be aware of this and of those who are, they are unlikely to be able to go to a substantially better university. Also it causes hassle with accomodation etc... There are too many universities IMO they should reduce it to a total max of 50 and create more Polytechnic universities. It's also costing the tax payer waaaaaaaay too much.
robotic_dancer
I totally agree, I don't think many people will be aware of this and of those who are, they are unlikely to be able to go to a substantially better university. Also it causes hassle with accomodation etc... There are too many universities IMO they should reduce it to a total max of 50 and create more Polytechnic universities. It's also costing the tax payer waaaaaaaay too much.

Whether they are called a University or a Polytechnic University as you put it, make no difference to the tax-payer's money; surely you'll agree it's just a name.
1 Economic Historian
Whether they are called a University or a Polytechnic University as you put it, make no difference to the tax-payer's money; surely you'll agree it's just a name.

I just mean there is no point trying to get 50% of all 18-30 year olds into university when some people end up in a crappy job with a pile of debt.
Reply 57
1 Economic Historian
so cambridge is part of Adjustment :confused:

The Cambridge link is to their reply to the consultation document on how adjustment should run. So I guess technically even if they take virtually no students through the system they are part of it.
Paulwhy
The Cambridge link is to their reply to the consultation document on how adjustment should run. So I guess technically even if they take virtually no students through the system they are part of it.

virtually no students...so there is a minute chance you can at least apply through adjustment? :tongue: :awsome:
Reply 59
megaduck
It's going to depend on how Aston has framed the offer. If they've said 300 points from any three A-levels, the fact that you end up with six won't mean you have exceeded the terms of their offer unless you have over 300 points from your three highest scorers. Equally if they've said 300 points from three specific A-levels the fact that you have extra points from three others does not mean you have exceeded the offer.

If they've just said 300 points then you will of course exceed the offer with over 500 points, but as others have said, the top universities tend not to make points offers. Aston is a very good university and I can't imagine anywhere 'better' - namely the bigger and more high-profile names - taking you with BBBCCC; these universities would rather have three excellent A-levels than six middling ones.

Your speculations may turn out to be correct or they may not: I don't think anyone knows yet what the rules are for students with 'excess' qualification. All we can say for certain is that these are the below examples are all UCAS give online. And excess qualifications are not listed in either category:

Examples of meeting and exceeding your offer - you are eligible to use Adjustment
Exceed Offer Actual grades

A level AAB A level AAA
A level CCD (C in Chemistry) A level ACD (A in Chemistry)
A level ABB (B in History) A level ABB (A in History)
SQA Higher BCC SQA Higher ABC
SQA Higher BBC (C in Chemistry) SQA Higher ABC (B in Chemistry)
SQA Adv Higher D in Italian SQA Adv Higher B in Italian
International Baccalaureate total 30 points including 5 in Mathematics and 5 in Chemistry International Baccalaureate total 30 points including 6 in Mathematics and 5 in Chemistry
Irish Leaving Certificate (Higher level) grade B in Mathematics and Grades BCC Irish Leaving Certificate (Higher level) grade B in Mathematics and Grades ABC

Examples of not exceeding your offer - you are not eligible to use Adjustment:
Offer Actual grades

A level CCD (C in Chemistry) A level BCD (D in Chemistry)
SQA Higher CCC SQA Higher BCD
240 Tariff points overall including C in French 280 Tariff points overall including D in French
BTEC National Diploma MMM BTEC National Diploma MMP
International Baccalaureate total 30 points including 5 in Mathematics and 5 in Chemistry International Baccalaureate total 32 points including 4 in Mathematics and 5 in Chemistry
Irish Leaving Certificate (Higher level) grade B in Mathematics and Grades BCC Irish Leaving Certificate (Higher level) grade C in Mathematics and Grades ACC
http://www.ucas.com/resultsandnextsteps/adjustment/facts

Latest

Trending

Trending