The Student Room Group

King's College London or University of Bath?

Hi all! I have received offers from King's College London and University of Bath, I really can't make up my mind which one I should choose.

The two programs I applied for at these two unisare both European Studies(at Bath it's actually called Euromasters). With KCL I spend two terms in London and the third one at a university in Berlin. The program at Bath is rather usual: it lasts two years and students are allowed to study at 1-2 European universities. I have chosen to spend the first year at Bath and the other at a university in Berlin.So that makes the two programs I applied for really similar except for the duration of time and the course structure(Bath makes students take more classes each term than King's).
Since I'm not living in UK, I'm not very sure about the whole university ranking thing,both unis look quite reputable to me.Maybe someone could give me some advice? If you were to make the decion,which one would you choose?
Reply 1
KCL have a strong reputation but Bath is just as good if not better.

Bath is a beautiful place with old buildings and a great atmosphere. Personally, I'd choose Bath (they didn't do my course).
Surely travel to London will be easier. Bath will get quite dull if you are a slightly older student, especially one who clearly has a cosmopolitan outlook.
Reply 3
In terms of rankings for European Studies, I would put Bath over King's. Bath is a Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence (European Research Institute), plus they have some big names (e.g. Prof Richard Whitman).

If you are more concerned with overall rankings, KCL has a stronger reputation.

It's also worth considering whether you want to / can afford to spend two years on your Master's.
Reply 4
In terms of the general social and university life, King's (London). In terms of job prospects and reputation, King's again. The course will be excellent enough, as their MFL department is brilliant. Definitely King's, if you ask me.

Latest