The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I had to come to TSR to find out about his withdrawal. Hmm.

Instead of looking at hustings videos I recommend you listen to the CUR1350 coverage instead. A lot of people's speeches changed and improved over the week (including mine, that CUR one actually includes my experience, because I'm an idiot and didn't put it in in the first place) so that going to be the most accurate.
Reply 121
I heard he was made to withdraw by his tutor, also apparently hustings was dead at Caius last night, only two people went, which I think is just awful, it make me feel really bad for being unable to attend :frown:
He was made to withdraw by his tutor last year (as he hadn't got permission to run). I've heard nothing about this year though.

There were 3 people at Caius, although one was the friend of a candidate who had been dragged along. If you would like to go to hustings then the last one is tonight at Trinity - but obviously all the information is available elsewhere as well.
Reply 123
Yer from Caius it was just our new and old JCR presidents. Since I know I couldn't make hustings I read/watched everything on line and have already voted so I won't be coming tonight :frown:
Hustings don't happen at all colleges, just a few?

Mind you it wouldn't be at all unusual for Peterhouse to inform me of Hustings one hour before its occurence, which seems to be the pattern for all of our JCR related activities :mad:
All colleges are offered the opportunity to host hustings, not all of them take it up. We did 15 colleges I believe this year. Given we were doing up to 5 a day, we'd really need to make the elections longer in order to fit in many more!
Reply 126
Vote Nina for CUSU
All colleges are offered the opportunity to host hustings, not all of them take it up. We did 15 colleges I believe this year. Given we were doing up to 5 a day, we'd really need to make the elections longer in order to fit in many more!

Are they generally poorly attended or is it just a few that are? I was surprised at how low the turnout at Jesus was, and from the comments above it seems this wasn't unique. I hadn't realised quite how much apathy / disinterest in CUSU there is... :s-smilie:
I hope Ed wins. Whilst I disagree with him politically on a lot of things, it sounds like he'd do the best job and is the only person taking CUSU seriously as a union rather than some weedy service-based organisation.

MB
Vote Nina for CUSU
All colleges are offered the opportunity to host hustings, not all of them take it up.

Ah. Well considering the fact that last year our External Officer tried to pass a motion for Peterhouse to withdraw from CUSU in order to avoid parting with funding, its no surprise we didn't host any :dry:
musicbloke
I hope Ed wins. Whilst I disagree with him politically on a lot of things, it sounds like he'd do the best job and is the only person taking CUSU seriously as a union rather than some weedy service-based organisation.

MB

What a charming thing to post on Nina's election thread. Very constructive too.
-Matt-
I hadn't realised quite how much apathy / disinterest in CUSU there is... :s-smilie:

Ha! :hmpf:
Craghyrax

What a charming thing to post on Nina's election thread. Very constructive too.

Oh, I didn't realise that this thread was only for people who support her. Was just offering an opinion based on having spent far too much time doing CUSU stuff and y'know, knowing my way around student politics a fair bit.

MB
musicbloke
Oh, I didn't realise that this thread was only for people who support her. Was just offering an opinion based on having spent far too much time doing CUSU stuff and y'know, knowing my way around student politics a fair bit.

MB

You didn't really need to know whether a post is for any specific type of person to consider keeping your criticisms to yourself unless there's a possibility that:
a) The thread starter has a chance to take the comments to improve her performance, campaign and chances
b) You are in posession of a vote yourself and aiming to engage with the thread starter in order to negotiate with her about how best to dispose of it.

Of course if your sole aim is to impart your profound and superior wisdom to the rest of us voters so that we might constructively use our votes, then the tactful thing would be to start your own thread mentioning why you think Ed Maltby is superior and not poach on someone else's territory.

All of this is leaving aside the issue of nerves and feelings that the thread starter may or may not possess. Some of us care about those and think they deserve consideration if not respect.
Oh do be quiet.

MB
musicbloke
Oh do be quiet.

MB

Never :biggrin:

Spoiler

I'm more than happy for MB to contribute his opinions to the thread (although I would prefer it if he had a vote) - its intention was to open discussion.
Vote Nina for CUSU
I'm more than happy for MB to contribute his opinions to the thread (although I would prefer it if he had a vote) - its intention was to open discussion.

In that case I apologise :smile:
I don't care who's thread it is, but this is reminder for everybody to vote.

It doesn't matter who you vote for (well it does, but you know what I mean) its really important that everyone votes one way or another.

Everyone has until 8pm tonight to vote in Colleges. The results will be announced live on CUR1350 from 9pm, or you can go and watch the count taking place in Jesus Forum from 8:15pm.
Reply 136
Haha, loved the nus candidate who had nothing as her blurb. Saw her get a few votes just because she didn't have anything gimpish in her box.

Latest

Trending

Trending