The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

*checks to see if people have said 'people who can use apostrophes properly'*
Yes, they have. Good ole predictable TSR :biggrin:
Reply 21
Not someone who puts an apostrophe in 'gets'

Serious answer- combination of PS, grades, interview, and an element of luck.
vahik92
u mean if u get 3 As in academic subjects and make a good impression ull get it there?

Have you ever heard of this thing called grammar?
Reply 23
Jibzy
I hear Lateral thinking is what Oxford mainly want.

That's what i constantly heard from my english teacher who studied at oxford, as a form of advice before my interviews.
I failed to gain and demonstrate that 'lateral thinking' ability after all, i guess.
Reply 24
Caperucitaroja
Have you ever heard of this thing called grammar?
oh shut up..jesus..
Reply 25
vahik92
it is likely but the problem is how would they know who will and who won't do the subject well? especially when the course requirements don't have any specific subject requirements, the admission officers won't know who's going to do well and who isn't. THey might do some suggestions from past qualifications, e.g. someone with History is likely to do essay-based subjects well, or someone with an A in History is likely to do History degree better - however no one can make 100% correct suggestions from past qualifications - so this i don't think would be a major problem when getting into there.

I am just guessing and this is the most logical answer as to how they choose students with their potential success with subjects

It's not a certain combination of things that create the magic formula, admissions tutors are people not machines; they are able to perceive who will and who won't do well. Most of them have been doing it long enough to spot potential in people beyond their grades or necessarily how they've acted at interview (I know people that have been accepted in my college with pretty terrible grades and another person who simply could not properly articulate themselves in interviews - and so was pooled because other interviewers thought they were talking gibberish).

Stop trying to guess at what their 'logical' thinking should be and just ******* apply, and stop with all the useless questions.
Reply 26
asshole64
oh shut up..jesus..

Caperucitaroja isn't Jesus. Caperucitaroja isn't even at Jesus.
Reply 27
Oxbridge reaslly don't care much about GCSEs and A levels. All that matters is how blatently awesome you are :biggrin:
Reply 28
Hellier
Oxbridge reaslly don't care much about GCSEs and A levels. All that matters is how blatently awesome you are :biggrin:

This is true. All the laser cannons and **** are just protecting our awesome-o-meter.
RightSaidJames
The above statement is only relevant to Cambridge, as Oxford don't consider UMS, only grades and predicted grades.

Incorrect.

Although Oxford don't demand them, it doesn't mean they don't take it into consideration. Should you provide them on UCAS (or indeed your reference), it is an advantage to your app (as they know more about you and your grades), unless it is your school policy not to include UMS marks on UCAS etc, in which case they take this into consideration when viewing your application.

I myself was specifically told that my UMS marks (all above 90%) helped a great deal with my application.
Reply 30
cpchem
Caperucitaroja isn't Jesus. Caperucitaroja isn't even at Jesus.
:confused:
kill yourself?
Inter-Company
Incorrect.

Although Oxford don't demand them, it doesn't mean they don't take it into consideration. Should you provide them on UCAS (or indeed your reference), it is an advantage to your app (as they know more about you and your grades), unless it is your school policy not to include UMS marks on UCAS etc, in which case they take this into consideration when viewing your application.

I myself was specifically told that my UMS marks (all above 90%) helped a great deal with my application.

There isn't a place to put them in the standard application... so I'm guessing you put them in your PS? Or on the Oxford Application itself?
Reply 32
asshole64
:confused:
kill yourself?

Quite the charmer, aren't you. Nice to see you're living up to your username, though.
Jibzy
there is a view that Cambridge's selection method is different from Oxford's.

Iv seen some cambridge offers requiring 90% plus in four subjects. this rarely happens in Oxford.

And you know this how? :rolleyes:

I know plenty of people who have had grade restrictions put on them, whether that be specific UMS %s in certain subjects, or gaining A grades in all modules making up a particular A-level (the case with me for FM, but it was only in FP1-FP3 for some reason).
RightSaidJames
There isn't a place to put them in the standard application... so I'm guessing you put them in your PS? Or on the Oxford Application itself?

You can put individual unit grades for a particular A-level on UCAS (not sure if you can also put UMS though?). Further, I presume with most references (as was the case with my school), teachers usually put UMS scores down, particularly if they are 90%+ and/or relevant to the subject one is applying for. You can also choose to put them on your PS.
Reply 35
Inter-Company
Incorrect.

are you at Merton by any chance??
Reply 36
There are more factors that Oxbridge look for than "3 As"... for a start the A grade bracket accounts for any mark from 80% upward: Cambridge is interested primarily in the higher A-grades (~85% and above). On top of that, although the unis may only require 3 A grades (which isn't true for some colleges/courses), doing more A-levels would show your academic capability. And on top of that, there's the personal statement, reference and, most importantly, interview. If you give a terrible interview, even if your grades are quite high, you'll probably get rejected.

I assume by your previous post that you want to apply for Computer Science? If so, they won't care about your C++ certificate that much... although it would be useful to demonstrate your interest in the subject. Here's why:
1. An advanced understanding of maths is a much better preparation for the CompSci courses at Oxford and Cambridge
2. Programming experience isn't required for the course, and even if it was, C++ probably wouldn't be used until the 2nd/3rd year
3. C++ is a terrible, monstrous, hideous programming language
4. If you pretend to know everything before you've taken the degree, they won't like you

Other than that, I can only really echo what Cantab said:
Cantab
Stop trying to guess at what their 'logical' thinking should be and just ******* apply, and stop with all the useless questions.
Jibzy
are you at Merton by any chance??

Nope, glad to say :biggrin:
Reply 38
jy9626
That's what i constantly heard from my english teacher who studied at oxford, as a form of advice before my interviews.
I failed to gain and demonstrate that 'lateral thinking' ability after all, i guess.

well sometimes, these things are natural to some than others. sometimes it comes as you get older and develop more in your intellectual capacity. this is why some people who were previously rejected for Oxbridge undergraduate courses, come back and secure PHD or masters courses at Oxbridge later on. I still plan on given oxbridge a shot later and put my past horrible interview behind me...lol
Reply 39
Inter-Company
Nope, glad to say :biggrin:

who wouldn't be!!:tongue:

Latest