The Student Room Group
Urm, all of them? It depends if you have a genuine reason for taking a gap year and do something worthwhile during that time.
Reply 2
because i was unsuccessful this year? didnt apply to cambridge but am thinking about doing so next year. it says on the website different colleges have different policys about gap year students...?
Reply 3
What will you get at the end of this year?

I suggest finding a placement at a local vet surgery maybe, or volunteer somewhere animally, and show that you wanted some experience, as well as money, o even go over to africa to an animal place.

Spend a year with animals!
Reply 4
what will i get? as in Alevels? i'll only apply if i get AAA obviously

yep.. im going to spend my gap year doing work experience and having a job of some sort.. hopefully with animals. i am also thinking about doing some animal related travelling,... so it will be a year worthwhile to my course thats for sure.
If in doubt, ring up the admissions tutor for the colleges you are interested in and ask them about their policies on gap year students.
Reply 6
Rachhyyyy
what will i get? as in Alevels? i'll only apply if i get AAA obviously

yep.. im going to spend my gap year doing work experience and having a job of some sort.. hopefully with animals. i am also thinking about doing some animal related travelling,... so it will be a year worthwhile to my course thats for sure.

Good idea, But you need to make sure you plan your gap year before you apply. They are unlikely to take someone who has just spent a year not doing very much. Maybe have planned for the summer before you go away to spend a month on a farm, or in a zoo, something like that.
All of them do. Clare has lots of gap yearers.
As many have said, any of the colleges will accept you. Personally I think a gap year helped me, because I worked solidly from August (and am still working now) in a job that was relevant to my course. It also gives you a slight head start over everybody else because you will know what course you have more time to do research and reading. So go for it.
Reply 10
RightSaidJames
It depends if you have a genuine reason for taking a gap year and do something worthwhile during that time.

No it doesn't, they all accept applications regardless. And I know plenty of people here who did little on their gap year except sit in a crappy office job or piss about in Thailand getting wrecked. Nothing worthwhile.
Reply 11
shadowsintherain
As many have said, any of the colleges will accept you. Personally I think a gap year helped me, because I worked solidly from August (and am still working now) in a job that was relevant to my course. It also gives you a slight head start over everybody else because you will know what course you have more time to do research and reading. So go for it.

Hang on...you're still on your gap year yes? So how do you know it has given you a slight head start on anyone? You haven't met them yet, you have no idea.
Cantab
Hang on...you're still on your gap year yes? So how do you know it has given you a slight head start on anyone? You haven't met them yet, you have no idea.

I meant in the application procedure, not on the actual course. You get more time to research your course since and prepare for interviews since you don't have schoolwork to worry about. That's what my experience was anyway.
Reply 13
shadowsintherain
I meant in the application procedure, not on the actual course. You get more time to research your course since and prepare for interviews since you don't have schoolwork to worry about. That's what my experience was anyway.

did u apply first time round and not get in,... or?
Rachhyyyy
did u apply first time round and not get in,... or?

To Oxford, for a different course (probably the polar opposite to Law in fact), got rejected, yep.
Reply 15
shadowsintherain
To Oxford, for a different course (probably the polar opposite to Law in fact), got rejected, yep.

oh okayyy.. thats made me feeeeel better :smile: just need to plan my gap year and make it as worthwhile and fun as possible.

Latest

Trending

Trending