Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

The Big 2009 AEA Maths Thread! :)

Announcements Posted on
Become part of the Welcome Squad! Apply here! 28-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for everyone's input already!...Looks like this shall be a successful thread It's already turning out to be very useful for me, since I haven't yet done C4 differential equations (I'm not doing full further maths, just new syllabus FM AS privately!) so saw it as an opportune moment to get my textbook out and learn it! I think I really should get through c4 myself asap to really get to grips with the AEA questions, right?

Also, June 2005 Question 7 (attached)..parts a is pretty straight forward, part b is manageable, but I have no idea how to attempt part c...any ideas?

It's hard to see it there!, here's the direct link : http://s5.tinypic.com/df7waw.jpg
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

show;

\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx} x^n = nx^{n-1}
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    My question, what's AEA? Never heard of that o.O
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andylol)
    My question, what's AEA? Never heard of that o.O
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Extension_Award
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    subscribed*
    havent started solving papers for it though
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    ... Providing;  e^{inx} = cos(nx) + isin(nx) \; and \; i = \sqrt{-1} use the sub  y = e^{kx}

\displaystyle \frac{d^2y}{dx^2} +4y = 0

Hence obtain the function so;

\displaystyle \frac{d^2y}{dx^2} +4y = sin(x)
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economic Historian 1)
    Thanks for everyone's input already!...Looks like this shall be a successful thread It's already turning out to be very useful for me, since I haven't yet done C4 differential equations (I'm not doing full further maths, just new syllabus FM AS privately!) so saw it as an opportune moment to get my textbook out and learn it! I think I really should get through c4 myself asap to really get to grips with the AEA questions, right?

Also, June 2005 Question 7 (attached)..parts a is pretty straight forward, part b is manageable, but I have no idea how to attempt part c...any ideas?

It's hard to see it there!, here's the direct link : http://s5.tinypic.com/df7waw.jpg
    Expand out cos(2x) as 2\cos^2 x - 1; now, can you make a substitution which'll enable you to use the result in (i)?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glutamic Acid)
    Expand out cos(2x) as 2\cos^2 x - 1; now, can you make a substitution which'll enable you to use the result in (i)?
    Yeah I get it now, thanks!
    (I think I better quickly learn how to use latex though, to actually start posting my working on here! :redface: )
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Horizontal 8)
    Ok I'll start us off:

Solve the D.E.:

\left( \frac{dy}{dx} \right)^2+sinx(cos^2x)\left( \frac{dy}{dx} \right)-sin^4x = 0

Spoiler:
    Show
    it's a factorisable quadratic in dy/dx
    Spoiler:
    Show
    sinx(cos^2x)= sinx(1-sin^2x)=sinx-sin^3x
    They can't ask diff eqs in the AEA. It's not C1-C4.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sohanshah)
    It is in the current C4 edexcel syllabus I quote from the specification:

"Analytical solution of simple first order differential equations with separable variables."

Furthermore, in the question not even this knowledge of separation of variable is needed all you need is the 'intuition' to try to factorise the expression and consider the expressions in the two brackets separately.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Horizontal 8)
    It is in the current C4 edexcel syllabus I quote from the specification:

"Analytical solution of simple first order differential equations with separable variables."

Furthermore, in the question not even this knowledge of separation of variable is needed all you need is the 'intuition' to try to factorise the expression and consider the expressions in the two brackets separately.
    At the risk of sounding stupid, C4 differential equations are well...much much easier though :redface:
    And I haven't found any questions like the one you posted in past papers as yet...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sohanshah)
    I'm pretty sure DEs are on C4. And to be fair, all you need to solve this question is:

Spoiler:
    Show
    a simple trig identity, quadratic factorisation, and integration of polynomials in sinx
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economic Historian 1)
    At the risk of sounding stupid, C4 differential equations are well...much much easier though :redface:
    But AEA questions are supposed to be much harder than C4 ones.

And I haven't found any questions like the one you posted in past papers as yet...
    That, however, is a fair point. The people posting on this thread (and the 2009 STEP one) are not doing a great job of reproducing the examination style. Even in maths, real exam questions tend to be a little wordier than "solve {long complicated equation}".
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    2X = 4

Find X...:ninja:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *MJ*)
    2X = 4

Find X...:ninja:
    It is there... between 2 and the equation symbol *points*. :yep:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by (2Clever*0.5)^2)
    It is there... between 2 and the equation symbol *points*. :yep:
    Go on...

This is better than the answer I was expecting...:tongue:

Solve 7 + 2 = 9...:ninja:

...:cool: :tongue:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Given ln(x) = ax, where a is a constant, determine the values of a for which there is one solution to the equation.

EDIT: Maybe this is too hard for AEA? I'm not sure.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark13)
    Given ln(x) = ax, where a is a constant, determine the values of a for which there is one solution to the equation.

... seems reasonable (Camb interview questions)

edit; you can even guess the correct answers from the graph.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

Do you have the answer?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

considering the graph y= lnx and y=ax

if there is one solution, the graph of y=ax will be tangent to y=lnx

differentiating, and noting that their gradients will be the same, we get  a = \frac{1}{x} \implies ax = 1 \implies \ln x = 1  \implies x = e \implies \boxed{a = \frac{1}{e}}

also sketching a graph of lnx, we see that for a \leq 0, there exists one solution only as well.

Spoiler:
    Show
    for  a > \frac{1}{e} there exists no solutions to  \ln x = ax

for  \frac{1}{e} > a > 0 there exists two solutions to  \ln x = ax
Updated: June 24, 2009
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.