The Student Room Group

Resolution 2009/02 - Concerning the current situation in Sri Lanka

Committee: Security Council
Submitted by: Republic of Germany

THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY,

Noting the concern for civilians held hostage by the LTTE/Tamil Tigers in Sri Lanka
Anxious to prevent further civilian loss of life

1. Calls for delegates to recognise the UN's responsibility to the area, commending aid groups like the Red Cross for their selfless endeavour towards helping Sri Lankan and UN civilians trapped in the northeastern district of Mullaitivu
2. Demands an immediate ceasefire between the Tamil tigers and the Sri Lankan army lasting for at least two weeks
3. Urges the Tigers to hold Peace talks with the Sri Lankan army
4. Demands the immediate release of all civilian prisoners from the northeastern district of Mullaitivu to be accomplished during this ceasefire as per Clause 2
5. Urges both Sri Lankan and LTTE Troops to give full access to the area to non-military aid groups such as the Red Cross
6. Proclaims the UN's commitment to global peace and civilian welfare
Oh dear....
Maybe we need a separate PM update just for the SC.
Reply 2
Yeah, I'm debating whether to delete this and make another poll. Consider there was unanimous support, is it worth it?
I'll probably do it tonight, I can just PM members of the SC I think.
Whoops, I had forgotten that this resolution was due to go to vote. I'm all for it though, so it's the result I would have wanted anyway. :yy:
Reply 4
Yeah, which is why I'm wondering whether to bother re-opening it, just for democracy's sake, with Birchinton being absent.
Reply 5
OK, I've reopened the poll, it will run for a few more days, get some votes in.
Reply 6
woops. thanks for the reminder :biggrin:

uk votes yes blah blah blah.

Latest

Trending

Trending