The Student Room Group

French degree - Leicester or Southampton?

Having recieved all my offers to study English Lit and French and visiting all my choices, i am really stuck between two uniiversities - Leicester and Southampton.
On open days, what really stood out at both unis was the extreamly strong departments and the really great general atmosphere. As i am really stuck on which course to put as my top choice, i would love to hear about both places,from you the students. I think its hard to judge what the uni is really like from the open day, as of course, they only say the good things.

So, what are the good and bad things about French/English at Leicester and Southampton?
Reply 1
jonnythemoose
You're much needed in this thread :tongue:

Jonnythemoose is doing French at Southampton and I'm pretty sure he'll tell you all about Soton in great and useful details :yep:
Damn you Marion...:p:

French at Southampton is brilliant. I'm quite hungover, so I'll keep this brief(ish)

PROs:

- The department is very organised; the 'lessons' are planned well in advance, and you are given plans so you know what you'll be covering each week, grammar-wise and also topic-wise.
- Modern languages; French in particular, has a huge presence at Avenue Campus, which is the main humanities campus.
- When using texts, you'll often use recent ones, so they don't just recycle what you study every year. These texts are also authentic ones from magazines/newspapers etc.
- If I get elected as FrenSoc president, then you'll have a really cool president of FrenSoc :p: :cool:
- Avenue Campus has its own centre for language study, a space with resources entirely dedicated to those learning languages...
- No lectures; just classes. This means it's a bit more 'schooly' than you'd expect, but also more beneficial, as the time when you have contact is shared out between fewer students.
-Southampton is a brilliant city, with lots of places to go out, plenty of day-time activities, if you like (although trust me, you won't be going into the city as much as you may have thought)

CONs:

- We only get three hours of language contact a week, which doesn't seem much. Having said that, you do get set a lot of work, so there's always things you can do independently. And I definitely feel my French has improved this year.
- Being at Avenue Campus is an absolute chore sometimes, as it means you have longer to go to get to classes than if you were at the main campus.
- A couple of the content modules have been a bit iffy (if you do choose Soton, please PM me beforehand, so I can warn you off these!)
- You get set lots of work. Lots and lots. :p:

There are more, like the campus is really preeeeeeeeetty, but you've visited already, so you'd know that. :smile:

Generally, French at Southampton is fantastic - Basically, I don't think you'd regret coming here. (German's not as good, just in case anyone was wondering). My writing isn't as its best today, for aforementioned hangover, so I apologise if that's not as compelling as it could be...but basically I think you should come and party on down with us. :smile:
Reply 3
jonnythemoose

Generally, French at Southampton is fantastic - Basically, I don't think you'd regret coming here. (German's not as good, just in case anyone was wondering). My writing isn't as its best today, for aforementioned hangover, so I apologise if that's not as compelling as it could be...but basically I think you should come and party on down with us. :smile:

Why is German not as good?
ameritus
Why is German not as good?

Well, I can only speak for first year, but there's not as many staff members, because it's a smaller department...and the stuff we do doesn't seem as beneficial as the stuff we do for French.

But it's not terrible, I just don't feel like my German's getting anywhere right now...

Latest

Trending

Trending